What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galea and Mataora back for Dragons

aussies1st

Staff member
Raiders forward Danny Galea and rookie Sam Mataora will return for the Green Machine this weekend against the St George Illawarra Dragons, after forwards Tom Learoyd-Lahrs (NSW) and David Shillington (QLD) were named for State of Origin one in Sydney.

The absence of the two Raiders big men will see Scott Logan move from the interchange bench to the starting front row, while Joe Picker will also step up from the bench into the starting side in the second row.

Forwards Galea and rookie Sam Mataora come onto the Raiders bench to join Troy Thompson and Brett Kelly.

Raiders Coach David Furner said although the loss of Learoyd-Lahrs and Shillington would be a tough one for the side, he said he knows the players coming into the squad can get the job done against the Dragons.

“Its good to have Shillo and Tommy in the origin series this year and they both deserve their spots,” Furner said. “Thankfully we have some good depth in their positions and we can call on others to come into the team and perform for us.

“Danny Galea is an experienced forward who can cover a couple of positions, while I thought Sam Mataora made a strong debut against New Zealand two weeks ago.”

CANBERRA RAIDERS V ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
SUNDAY MAY 23, 3.00PM
WIN STADIUM

NRL

1. JOSH DUGAN
2. JOEL MONAGHAN
3. JARROD CROKER
4. JOEL THOMPSON
5. DANIEL VIDOT
6. TERRY CAMPESE (C)
7. JOSH McCRONE
8. DANE TILSE
9. GLEN BUTTRISS
10. SCOTT LOGAN
11. JOE PICKER
12. BRONSON HARRISON
13. TREVOR THURLING

14. BRETT KELLY
15. DANNY GALEA
16. TROY THOMPSON
17. SAM MATAORA

COACH: DAVID FURNER

TOYOTA CUP

1. HAYDON HODGE
2. CHRIS MEDCALF
3. SEAN LOXLEY
4. DRURY LOW
5. MICHAEL THOMAS
6. JAMES SMART
7. SAM WILLIAMS (C)
8. MARK APPLETON
9. MATT MCILWRICK
10. MITCH KENNEDY
11. SAM SAUILUMA
12. MICHAEL CULLEN
13. TOM MURPHY

14. MICHAEL NIXON
15. MITCH DAY
16. JOSH PAPALII
17. PAUL VAUGHAN
18. MICHAEL CHEE KAM

COACH: DAVID HAMILTON

http://www.raiders.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=25804

Raider_69

Post Whore
agreed
looks like a good run on team

needs to get more size on that bench. Dont like Galea and i dont like Kelly

Timbo

Staff member
For f**ks sake.

First NSW, now us? Someone tell me why we have an outside back on the bench?

If we want a player on the bench that can cover the backs and forwards, I'd have Carney there, I cant see match fitness been an issue especially where we could use him in 2x 15min spells.

Carney could relieve Butts for a short period at dummy half , could slot into the backrow but Id be inclined to move JT there and Carney to the wing.

I want Carney in not Kelly.

canberraraida

Juniors
I think we should just take out some of the under 20's players to make up the bench mainley the Brett Kelly spot though.

farmeister

Juniors
Does anybody know what happened to Waddell? Is there a reason he's not on the bench?

I didn't get to see the game against the Storm, but I don't remember hearing about any injury to him...

shear_joy9

Coach
kelly to cover hooker?

hideous team. I'd dump picker to logan and start galea. Picker offers nothing what-so-ever to the side. Galea atleast has experience.

shear_joy9

Coach
Does anybody know what happened to Waddell? Is there a reason he's not on the bench?

I didn't get to see the game against the Storm, but I don't remember hearing about any injury to him...

he's been well-below par since his return. Should never have been rushed back into first-grade after his injury. You'd think he had broken both hands and all fingers by the way he's been passing..

Timbo

Staff member
He was shocking against the Storm. Best to give him some more time in reggies.

On the plus side, Buttriss is looking good good good out of hooker. Will be hard to justify putting Tongue back there when he's fit now. I'm sure Furner will find a way though.

shear_joy9

Coach
I've always rated buttriss. If he continues to improve his workrate he could be up there with the league's top rakes.

I almost expect furner to bench him for tongue when he's fit. He simply has no idea.

aussies1st

Staff member
Furner will find a spot in the 13 for Tongue, either at 9 or 13. I hope Buttriss can play the 80 as that means no more Tongue into 9. If Tongue is going to play 9, he needs to be fresh and only have 15-20 minutes in there.

This game is perfect to try out Carney in the utility role.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
Good to see Mataora back in the team. Its been a while since we've had a decent young forward come through and play good football with us, hopefully he can do this.

I think our last notable forwards of quality produced would be Ben Cross and Mick Weyman, both of which did better things elsewhere. I hope Fensom, Picker, and Mataora turn out more like those guys rather than a new set of Kahlers and Rothery's.

GC_Gladiator

Juniors
I will never forget..... lol. Seriously they both had heart in spades... just not the ability to cut it consistently at the top level.

schnitzel

Juniors
Kahler and Rothery were Broncos juniors that we poached!

Seriously though, Rothery was a talent.. was outstanding in the Premier League premiership team and I thought he would be a star in NRL but just couldn't rise to the challenge.

Kahler was rubbish.

Latest posts