What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galea GOOOONE!

*Sandy*

First Grade
"We see Danny as a running second-rower who can still play in the centres if need be," McDonnell said of the 186cm, 95kg player.

So he's going back to be a second-rower. Well I wish him good luck because there was no room for him at Penrith.

Just a question do we rate him better than a Waterhouse?, Rodney?, Big T?, even our international player Frank Pritchard. Who else have we retained in the 2nd Row possie that we think he would be potentially better than? Just trying to work out whether he is going to be a bigger loss than what we are all thinking of at the moment.

Kilkenny

Coach
Local Juniors. Bring the kids through from Matthews to Ball to Flegg to Reggies into the top flight and then allow them to leave when perhaps we are about to see them at their best. That's what pisses me off. I can cop Craig Stapleton, he was with us for one season, a football journeyman, solid player but not a true panther. Galea's best years will be his next three seasons and I think will prove to be a very astute signing by the tigers. Sure I wish him well but gee I hate to lose our juniors in this fashion.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I can see where you coming from but i guess we can't retain all the juniors in the end. Galea has been sitting on the fringes for quite a few years. Aiton - he's jumpstarted Galea and more of a keep for mine.

There's a few more juniors that will be in the same mould as Aiton. And being realistic it's the Aiton's of this world that are going to go somewhere rather than the Galeas who have played on the fringe for years before breaking through. Just a thought.

Kilkenny

Coach
PK said:
I can see where you coming from but i guess we can't retain all the juniors in the end. Galea has been sitting on the fringes for quite a few years. Aiton - he's jumpstarted Galea and more of a keep for mine.

There's a few more juniors that will be in the same mould as Aiton. And being realistic it's the Aiton's of this world that are going to go somewhere rather than the Galeas who have played on the fringe for years before breaking through. Just a thought.

I totally understand your point of view PK. Danny Galea is no Mark Gasnier. His strengths are clearly in defense. I just got the feeling he was just filling in for us in the centres as JL had no other viable options? His future was always going to be as a back rower and IMO he was shaping to be our David Stagg or Alan Tounge. Solid 80 minute performer who guarantees 40-50 effective tackles week in week out. Every team needs one. Unfortunately for the Panthers we rely on Trent to fulfil this sort of role which detracts from his strongest attributes which his hitting the ball up two and three out from the ruck and getting a few off loads away.

As I have stated I absolutely hate to lose home grown talent/juniors so easily. It really irks me. I've never recovered from Des Hasler and the like. I know Danny Galea will not be any Des Hasler but god knows we lost some great juniors, too easily, over the years.

*Sandy*

First Grade
I know.

And I see what you mean about Galea. It seems it wasnt in John Langs game plan for Galea and it's not going to be in Matt Elliotts game plan.

I'm waiting for Elliot to pull the rabbits out of his hat to be honest. Surely he's got something for us.

Big Mick

Referee
I agree wholeheartedly with Kilkenny on this one.

I was really looking forward to seeing Elliot transform Galea's game...something that would have benefited us greatly.

choc_soldier

Coach
Galea's departure can not be underestimated. As well as adding to our depth, he's a handy player that would always have a spot in the 17 - be it at centre, in the second row, lock or off the bench.

He'll go good at the Tigers.

cainen

Juniors
http://foxsports.news.com.au/story/0,8659,19702355-23214,00.html

Galea admits he was concerned about not securing another NRL contract after the Panthers failed to re-sign him before the June 30 anti-tampering deadline.

"Once they re-signed Frankie (New Zealand international forward Frank Pritchard) I think that put me on the back foot a bit," Galea, a Penrith junior, said.

"'(The Panthers) sort of weren't in a hurry, so I took my opportunity to sign with the Tigers.

So he left because he was worried he wouldn't get a contract at Penrith...

How stupid are we??

Big Mick

Referee
Wobbygong...can you please just go away.

There are NO salary cap issues at our club. Would you mind just minding your own clubs business and stop trying to start sh*t you troll.

NK Arsenal

Juniors
Wobbygong if you're saying the Panthers have salary cap issues look at your dragons, remember last year?
Just to remind you, Thompson and Ennis were GOOOOOONE and are already better players then what they were at the Dragons.

Kilkenny

Coach
The more you look closely at the way in which Galea has left the club means only one thing. He did not figure in Matthew Elliot's plans for 2007. If he was wanted by the club they clearly would have made it clear to Danny they wanted the last 'crack'. His owns words as quoted in the print media would indicate that the club would appear to have had no intention to counter the offers he was fielding from other clubs. This is a little baffling considering we have struggled in the outside backs in 2006 and he has been the most consistent and reliable outside back throughout the entire season. We certainly had money available to keep him if but it is my understanding no formal offer was ever made to retain Danny Galea which can only mean one thing.

Big Mick

Referee
I can assure you a formal offer was made to Danny. I know this as a fact.

I also get the suspicion the deal was done prior to June 30.

Danny was having drinks with the Tiger's boys instead of the Panther boys after the Tigers-Panthers match a few weeks back...

Kilkenny

Coach
Big Mick © said:
I can assure you a formal offer was made to Danny. I know this as a fact.

I also get the suspicion the deal was done prior to June 30.

Danny was having drinks with the Tiger's boys instead of the Panther boys after the Tigers-Panthers match a few weeks back...

That may well be the case Big Mick but it was not the impression he gave judging from the way he was quoted in the Telegraph and SMH. I'll ask a source at the Cowboys game.

King Panther

Juniors
not a big loss in my books. funny how someone with such little tackling skill can be labelled a defensive centre. along with swain i think he's another person we could do without.