What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop dangles an $8m lifeline

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/sport/nrl/story/0,26799,23752263-5006066,00.html

0,,6056502,00.jpg

Is your team safe? ... Phil Rothfield casts his eye over the Sydney clubs. / The Sunday Telegraph

NRL chief executive David Gallop has rekindled the possibility of more mergers after warning during the week that Sydney clubs are facing extinction.
Gallop told Sydney's financially stricken clubs to consider merging or die, dangling the $8million amalgamation carrot in front of CEOs at the two-day conference during the week.
As all nine Sydney clubs fight for additional revenue streams, Gallop claimed mergers had their benefits.
The NRL's last merger was between Western Suburbs and Balmain, who came together to form the Wests Tigers in 2000.
"Mergers have had mixed success, from the highly successful Wests Tigers and St George Illawarra through to the Northern Eagles,'' Gallop said.
"As in the past, a package where clubs merge remains. It's not an easy exercise, but it does allow fans of both teams to continue to have an active presence in the competition.''

Talk of possible mergers will send a collective shudder down the backbone of every rugby league supporter.
The NSW Government's 40 per cent poker machine tax and the introduction of smoking bans has led to a 10 per cent drop in revenue across Leagues clubs this financial year.
Rising taxes and sinking revenues have debilitated clubs that are heavily reliant on Leagues club grants to survive.
There are no guarantees of survival for South Sydney, Penrith, Cronulla, Manly, Parramatta and the Roosters, prompting Gallop to say: "It's for that reason that mergers are worth considering carefully.''
Gold Coast Titans coach John Cartwright - a former Penrith great - gave strong reasons for the competition to be cut from 16 teams to 12.
Cartwright said the NRL's fight to maintain clubs in Sydney was too costly.
"I'm just thinking out loud (about) what's best for the game of rugby league, and it's hard to take emotion out of it because it's an emotional game,'' Cartwright said.
"I just think the game's figureheads have got to get their minds together and come up with a solution before a club becomes insolvent.
"You don't have to be a genius to work out the pie is only so big and Sydney has nine clubs competing for it.
"We didn't even have a full house for the first Origin game (on Wednesday night). It's not good for our game, and I think anyone who says it is isn't being fair dinkum.
"You turn the tele on and you see a game on Saturday, Sunday or Monday night and see that empty far side of ANZ stadium, it's not good for anyone.
"The bottom line for clubs is maybe it's the only way they can operate, but it's not a good look for our game. I'd hate to see us get to a stage where clubs just fall over through attrition.''
Cronulla Sharks chief executive Tony Zappia said the threat of merging had not yet been considered by his club, declaring it a "last, last resort''.
"I understand what John is saying, but would he be saying that if he was trying to work under the current taxes being dished out by theNSW Government?'' Zappia said.
"The Queensland and Victorian governments are supportive of their sporting codes, the Gold Coast Titans have a huge advantage over the NSW clubs because of that support.
"Here at the Sharks, we're busy putting plans in place to ensure our future.''
Gallop also sees relocation as a viable alternative, putting it back on the table as a way of easing the pressures in Sydney.

the sharks are in sh*t

If anything the dragons will be one of the first to go, they arent financially back as News Limited Clubs or clubs that are privatised are. with Delmege at Manly, and Rusty and Phac at Souths.

I dunno how they got that idea from

Didn't you also say Mark Gasnier was overrated? Don't you get tired of being wrong all the time?

One game that was played to his standard in two years, doesnt mean he is not over-rated.

He is injured more than he actually played, massive joke he got into the australian side after 4 games all season last year.

If it wasnt for his last name, he wouldnt of had such a great rep career, simple.

_Johnsy

Referee
If it wasnt for his last name, he wouldnt of had such a great rep career, simple.

Everyone, I'd like to introduce to you all, a much deserved winner of the fuggwit of the year award.

Ladies and gentlemen, a round of applause for Rabbitohs2005

Potsie

Juniors
If anything the dragons will be one of the first to go, they arent financially back as News Limited Clubs or clubs that are privatised are. with Delmege at Manly, and Rusty and Phac at Souths.

They got that idea from basic facts, ie: NO DEBT, money in the bank, a famous brand name, a club that is making money (which has deceased like all clubs), and a tradional home ground etc. Saints are safe (for now) and hopefully will dump the illawarra side of this so called merger.

Speaking of clubs that are privatised, Havent Rusty and Holmes-a-Hyphon done a great job? They know a lost cause when they see one and are abandoning a sinking ship.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
If anything the dragons will be one of the first to go
Sorry to report young fella, but the house of cards you call a club is far more likely to disappear down a rabbit hole.

I supported Souths return to first grade, and I hope they can stick around. But when uncle Pete walks, and he will, the writing will be well and truly on the wall.

Souths-Cronulla NRL merger has been floated in the past... doesn't seem so unlikely now.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade

:lol::lol: your team first.
thanks to uncle pete and Russ, the movies with crow is were you see your rabbits anytime soon

Drew-Sta

Staff member
sick of the R2K rubbish why go to a game with a sign like that,all it does is destablise our club u w@$#er

Just like the Illawarra side of the merger is destabalising the financial viability of our club.

Pull your head in your muppet. Your uneducated comments bleed of idiocy and misinformation. R2K stands for a lot more than just Returning to Kogarah. If you knew that, you'd understand why it is such a crucial movement being made by fans.

The Preacher

First Grade
How many threads is he going to spill the same dribble in? He'd make a good supporter in another club. Parra Petey, Icey, Princess, BBSF, Dave Q, are you blokes interested in adopting this buffoon. He's your's, gratis.

Anna Bolic

Juniors
This whole concept of setting up a Central Coast team really sh*ts me!!

I had to sit there and watch my Saints forced to merge 10 years ago with another team in order to reduce the size of the comp and ammortize runnning costs and the supporter base over a fewer number of teams in order to survive.

Now instead of having a team 80kms south of Sydney, we'll probably have one 80kms north of Sydney!! the more things change ... the more they stay the same...what a waste of bloody time!:x

Apologies for ranting on my first post....I hope I have something to smile about after the Rabittoh's game this weekend.

By my calcs we'll need to win 8 more of the next 14 games we play ( + the bye ) to get to 28 points....fingers crossed!

Anna Bolic

Juniors
Anna Bolic, wasn't she an East German hammer thrower ???

Welcome Anna, enjoy the forum.

Ha ha .. Anna was the " French bodybuilder - with the Jatz Cracker " in one of Billy Birmingham's cd's all those years ago.

It was on the same one that had:

"Pearce Off Jack, Gibbs On"

Latest posts