What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gallop talks Expansion, TV Deal, John Grant, State of Origin and AFL

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Is anyone else concerned that we dont have enough depth to let 2 teams in in the same year. Thats about 60 players that are gonna be needed to fill the respective rosters.

I'm all for expansion, but at the same time I dont want to see 4-6 tigers players (elite or toyota cup standard) being poached. Surely they will stagger the entries by at least 1-2 years. Give each team the spotlight they deserve (i.e season launch, maybe NRL all-stars game, etc etc) and really give them every opportunity to get set up properly and hopefully succeed long-term.

I'd be happy to see 2014 (perth) 2015/2016 (brisbane 2).

No - it's a myth. More money in game means players will stick around in Australia - meaning also that many players will cut their teeth in lower grades and be better rounded footballers in top level.

CC Bears and Perth to come in. Other regions should get their chance if they have:
  • a stadium - built and ready;
  • confirmed sponsors, financial stability - not a Cronulla/Titans style "development" gunner idea
  • 7,000+ paying members signed up beforehand
  • A name that isn't dumb e.g. Bombers.
Otherwise - don't put your hand up until you're ready. unless you can find a 70 year old ex-NRL official who'll cut all your corners for you.

Goddo

Bench
Interesting bit on One Week at a time last night...
Webster: On Friday night we saw 20 thousand people at Gosford to watch the Tigers Manly game it’s led to more calls for the Central Coast to get their own team.

Dean Richie: let them go, let them go there, the Bears need to be re-established with the North shore of Sydney, the good people of the Central Coast are good die hard league supporters like the people of Newcastle

Ricky Stuart: Webby, I really respect what David Fairleigh and Greg Florimo are doing but the CC people are fairly adamant they want their own brand their own team.

Dean Richie: That’s the thing the issue for the CC is one the NRL, and I spoke to the NRL today about it, they won't do it unless they reconnect with that north shore of Sydney through the Bears or whatever they will be called and they need a backer, there is no financial backer, I know Singo has tipped in $2M or something like that, but they need more than that.

Ricky Stuart: The big thing is talent, the pool of talent, and money. I mean with the potential viewing audience with say Perth for example, the talent pool there is a lot of depth in Brisbane, for me they just seem like the two genuine contenders with regards to our expansion.

Webster: What’s that, Perth and a second Brisbane?

Ricky Stuart: Yeah

Webster: I think the Central Coast are already doing what the NRL wants, 6 games a year they are getting 20 thousand people, beautiful.

Dean Richie: But they want their own team

Webster: I don't dispute that. What about PNG?

Dean Richie: They have been miles ahead in this bid, miles ahead of everyone else, and then at the moment when it’s probably going to happen - mind you it probably won't happen until 2015, the clubs made it pretty adamant last week that they wanted to get some wack of this new $1B broadcast rights deal. The NRL if they do expand will be two clubs one will be in a traditional league stronghold, like Brisbane or Central Coast, the other will be an outpost like Perth or NZ.

Ricky Stuart: The Central Coast has a number of juniors they have got a pool of talent, but Brisbane, they have just stopped with it, there is only one team there at the moment.

Mad Dog: You have got to have another team there. There can't be that many teams in Sydney. You need 2 sides in Brisbane
Ricky Stuart: Why are the Broncos promoting PNG?

Mad Dog: Because you might be the coach of PNG I am sure of it

Webster: You need a game every week in Brisbane, at the moment we don't get it.

Mad Dog: That to me is the epicentre of Rugby League now, they need two teams in Brisbane, Sydney has got 7 teams - strategically I know the NRL quietly would love to see a side in Gosford but no one is gonna move there, they need their own team, and for me another side needs to be in Brisbane and Perth, its going gangbusters the economy in Perth with mining, there’s too much dollars in Perth to turn your back on that city. For me they're the two teams.

Dean Richie: What about NZ?

Mad Dog: Well I think NZ is obviously also an option, but once again the problem is too many teams in Sydney, and you can't expect any team in Sydney to fall on their sword, no one is going to go away.

Last edited:

ozenzud

Juniors
There's no bid from Wellington? Technically, there's no bid from anyone as there is nothing to bid for? What a load of rubbish.

There is likely to be a bid from Wellington if and when a bid is called for. Wellington RL has been working on the bid forever. The argument about more teams diluting the talent is mute in a second NZ team as there are far more NZ players with NRL potential than teams that will take them. The Melbourne storm might have to try and develop local players not rely on NZers and Qlders however.

My doubts about perth are that the Western Force has stole their thunder. The RL comp in Perth would certainly be no bigger than Wellington. And actually Wellington is closer than Perth to the Eastern seaboard where RL is.

But don't get me wrong, whatever decision the NRL makes will disappoint some people and delight others. Ultimately it has to come down to sustainability. You would have thought the Titans were as stable as a year or so back. Look at them now.

Billythekid

First Grade
so lets say the club grants go up to $6.5mill a year. Is the intention that the first two years they will go up to $8mill then drop back to 6.5 in 2015? Bringing in two teams will cost $13mill a year (if the grant is up to $6.5mill), that will be only $812K per club extra for two years, is that really going to save incompetent clubs in the long run? Not only that but you would hope the NRL would be putting some money the way of the expansion clubs (especially if Perth is one) as soon as announced so that they can be building their infrastructures

I can understand the two year lead in to get ready but the idea that somehow delaying expansion 2 years will save the remaining 16 clubs seems a furphy to me.

Exactly. Technically it won't even cost 13 million a year because we will be getting quite a bit more money by having an extra game a week and because we could show a Brisbane team every week. That plus we could show games into a whole new market.

It's total BS. We will have so much more money, there is no way we should have to delay expansion to prop up existing clubs.

Is anyone else concerned that we dont have enough depth to let 2 teams in in the same year. Thats about 60 players that are gonna be needed to fill the respective rosters.

I'm all for expansion, but at the same time I dont want to see 4-6 tigers players (elite or toyota cup standard) being poached. Surely they will stagger the entries by at least 1-2 years. Give each team the spotlight they deserve (i.e season launch, maybe NRL all-stars game, etc etc) and really give them every opportunity to get set up properly and hopefully succeed long-term.

There is a lot of talent going to waste both in Australia and overseas (like all the players from the Welsh team now looking for a home). I think we will manage just fine.

I'd be happy to see 2014 (perth) 2015/2016 (brisbane 2).

The problem here is that much of the added value of adding these teams is brought about through the creation of an extra game per week.

There is likely to be a bid from Wellington if and when a bid is called for. Wellington RL has been working on the bid forever. The argument about more teams diluting the talent is mute in a second NZ team as there are far more NZ players with NRL potential than teams that will take them. The Melbourne storm might have to try and develop local players not rely on NZers and Qlders however.

The storm are doing this. That plus i think the storm have shown that there is plenty of talent going to waste.

Look at some of the players we have developed. Just this year, Norrie, Lowe, Woolnough even Blair. Nobody wanted these guys and yet now look at them.

We have done it plenty in the past. Ryan Tandy, Matt King, Jeff Lima and a bunch of others. There is plenty of talent out there going to waste.

Last edited:

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Interesting bit on One Week at a time last night...

What a surprise - a Newcastle bloke saying "Central Coast' want their own team. Just rehashing all the crap from the last 10 years.

In Australia, we always crap on about being fair dinkum - giving a "fair go".

yet - these blokes are pretty much saying - "Yep, the Bears were the only team that made an effort to establish their future - took the big risks - helped fund Gosford Stadium - yes, central coast wouldn't have hope if not for the Bears continuing efforts over 10 long years" BUT - let's just ignore this and let the Bears die so other no-hoper, jobs-for-the-boys deal like the Titans can be launched and fall over again.

We talk about how "tough" rugby leaue is. It should show some spine, stop being cowards and bring in the CC Bears.

_MayMoo 2

Juniors
Re the ONE HD it seems it is only Ricky Stuart saying they want their own brand, their own team ??

Where is the evidence of this I wonder. Certainly not within the ever increasing numbers of members, investors and cash sponsors for the CC Bears.

Stick to coaching Ricky, the IC cannot come soon enough.

Surprised that Dean Richie needed to call Gallop to get clarification that it will be the Bears or no-one. Gallop has been saying this for years. Maybe Hadley should call Gallop as well.

Re the investors, plenty of more good news coming for the Bears.
What about the other bids, have they secured funding yet ?
I think Bris 2 have ?? What about the others.

Last edited:

adamkungl

Immortal
Central Coast Bears
W.A. Reds
Brisbane/SEQ
New Zealand II

This needs to be our goal.

Correct. I have no doubt whatsoever that these should be the next 4 teams.

I will add a side note that if ever PNG are considered ready, they should be given special consideration. Massive player pool, another international market, they would be no drain on Aus RL and in fact add a huge amount of players if their development structures were adequate.

babyg

Juniors
Only problem with the TV deal is that shit lazy clubs are going to stay shit and lazy. IC need to put some kpi's up for them or they'll just sit on their grant $ and contribute nothing to the comp.

BDGS

Bench
They don't have as many areas to draw on junior talent as we do and their squads are a lot bigger. If anything we probably need more teams so we can keep the talent we have (we lose plenty to union, ESL and now even AFL).

Yes, I understand that argument as well.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
Only problem with the TV deal is that shit lazy clubs are going to stay shit and lazy. IC need to put some kpi's up for them or they'll just sit on their grant $ and contribute nothing to the comp.

Well said.
Funny how News Limited and Gallop were hellbent on killing clubs off in 199 so they didn;t have to pay more in grnats.

Now, Gallop is saying "we need to protect existing clubs" - hypocritical wanker of the highest order.

smithie

Juniors
Well said.
Funny how News Limited and Gallop were hellbent on killing clubs off in 199 so they didn;t have to pay more in grnats.

Now, Gallop is saying "we need to protect existing clubs" - hypocritical wanker of the highest order.

Also well said.

Goddo

Bench
I'd like to see this too. Some KPI's for the current Sydney clubs to push them to improve are needed. Sort of like the ESL licence criteria.

Its really not good having the Bears bid constantly the bridesmaid of expansion because all the seats in NSW are taken, when some of those clubs are dreadful. Now they all want big bail out packages from the TV deal.

I still maintain that adding more sides to NSW isn't expansion, but contraction. We need a 1 for 1 swap or a relocation to allow the NRL to bring back the Bears.

Hopefully such a threat and the Bears bid will light a firework under a couple of clubs.

flippikat

Bench
I'd like to see this too. Some KPI's for the current Sydney clubs to push them to improve are needed. Sort of like the ESL licence criteria.

Its really not good having the Bears bid constantly the bridesmaid of expansion because all the seats in NSW are taken, when some of those clubs are dreadful. Now they all want big bail out packages from the TV deal.

I still maintain that adding more sides to NSW isn't expansion, but contraction. We need a 1 for 1 swap or a relocation to allow the NRL to bring back the Bears.

Hopefully such a threat and the Bears bid will light a firework under a couple of clubs.

Spot-on. I really feel sorry for the Bears fans, they've been dudded - getting praise from the powers that be, but never the green-light.

The bid is sound in every single aspect - and ready to go. The only thing holding it back is sheer geography.

I've always felt that clubs should earn their grants, at least in part. They should have to meet certain criteria to gain the full grant. Or even that they can access further money for work done that benefits the game. Basically there should be some serious financial incentives to motivate clubs to do the right thing. This system could include salary cap related incentives too so that it's not just about money coming in but also the ability to spend it on players.

Rockin Ronny

Juniors
The bid is sound in every single aspect - and ready to go. The only thing holding it back is sheer geography.

The great rort here is - when the ARL said "you have to relocate" in the 90's, there was no mention of any other area than Gosford. This continued even until 2004 - then suddenly, the Dolphin/Titans with no dough, no stadium (but backed by Gallop and the News Limited press) is suddenly a done deal.

And the Bears - with gosford stadium, Singo, the north shore etc - not only lose out to Messiah Searle and his Temple of Excellence, Gallop then says "we'll give you $8 million to move permanently to Gosford".

I don't know what the News Limited hackers have got against the Bears, but they've kept us waiting for 11 years. It's a disgrace.

flippikat

Bench
The great rort here is - when the ARL said "you have to relocate" in the 90's, there was no mention of any other area than Gosford. This continued even until 2004 - then suddenly, the Dolphin/Titans with no dough, no stadium (but backed by Gallop and the News Limited press) is suddenly a done deal.

And the Bears - with gosford stadium, Singo, the north shore etc - not only lose out to Messiah Searle and his Temple of Excellence, Gallop then says "we'll give you $8 million to move permanently to Gosford".

I don't know what the News Limited hackers have got against the Bears, but they've kept us waiting for 11 years. It's a disgrace.

Exactly - The NRL should have been straight-up in 1998 and said "Right, all struggling Sydney clubs.. you have the choice of joint ventures or Adelaide, Perth, South-East Queensland or New Zealand - and if you choose to relocate we'll give you money to cover your costs for the first 3 years".

The ideal time to look at Gosford (or any other NSW location) would have been when Sydney was down to 6 or 7 teams.

The NRL - whether deliberately or by complicity - have painted themselves into a corner on this one.

Last edited:

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-sport/no-clear-cut-nrl-bid-contender-gallop-20110803-1ib0b.html

No clear cut NRL bid contender: Gallop
Laine Clark
August 3, 2011 - 3:04PM

AAP

A horror year for the Gold Coast Titans has not put David Gallop off expansion but the NRL boss admits bid teams have plenty of work to do to seal a franchise.

Gallop said on Wednesday there was no clear cut "genuine contender" among the seven consortiums to have expressed an interest in joining the NRL, most probably in 2015.

However, Gallop made it clear it had nothing to do with the troubles endured by the Titans.

Gold Coast, who entered the NRL in 2007, are last on the competition ladder and expected to win the wooden spoon this season.

Last year's preliminary finalists could not have timed their most dire NRL season to date any worse, with AFL rookies Gold Coast Suns making major inroads on the tourist strip.

The Suns are winning the battle for footy crowds - the most recent example was a near sell-out 23,302 attending their 54-point thumping at the hands of Collingwood on July 23.

On the same night, 15,741 watched the Titans lose 28-20 to the Cowboys at Skilled Park.

But Gallop said: "It's been a tough year economically down there, the team is not performing.

"But one thing about expanding the competition is that you have to be ready for moments when things aren't going that well and you get a bit of a dip in crowds.

"Long term I don't see that as a problem at the Titans.

"They will rebuild their playing rosters. They will start to be a success again on the field - their place in the competition is well assured.

"It's a rollercoaster being at a footy club and they just happen to be at a low point - but their highs are coming."

Gallop is on record saying the earliest expansion should take place in 2014.

Of the bid teams to have expressed an interest, the favourites are reportedly Perth - however, the Brisbane Bombers have arguably been the most vocal.

Gallop has reportedly not been impressed by the Bombers suggesting the competition should expand in 2013 or their choice of a WWI bomber pilot for their logo.

There is also the threat of legal action by AFL club Essendon Bombers over their name.

When asked about the Bombers on Wednesday, Gallop said: "I admire the enthusiasm of all our bid teams but the fact is every one of them have some pluses and minuses.

"Everyone has some stuff that they need to be working on to be genuine contenders to get into this competition and the Bombers are in that position - they have more work to do to convince us of their place."

firechild

First Grade

The longer the better. Seeing bears fans crying about not having a team is almost satisfying as watching them cry when they get (sorry, got, has to be past tense) hammered at North Sydney Oval.

Perth and QLD are the only real options for the next expansion. Maybe in 10 years they can add CC and NZ2 but QLD desperately needs another team, the talent is there and it'd be better having it stay in QLD rather than be spread out through the league. Perth is the most logical option for true expansion. Behind the CC bid, Perth has to be the most complete bid and has much more to offer the game.