What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Galuvao to Parra?

nqboy

First Grade
LINK
By Chris Wilson September 16, 2007 12:00am

FORMER New Zealand international Joe Galuvao is finally set to leave Souths - not for the ministry but for Parramatta. Galuvao is poised to sign with the Eels as early as this week. The second-tier contract with the Eels would be topped up by Souths, but it's understood Galuvao must still take a hefty pay cut from his $350,000-a-year deal with the Rabbitohs.

The Bunnies have tried all season to force Galuvao to seve his contract, which extends to the end of next season. In June, Souths co-owner Russell Crowe suggested Galuvao retire and join the ministry. In July, Galuvao was dumped to the Queensland Cup and finished the season with the Easts Tigers.

Souths chief executive Shane Richardson confirmed to The Sunday Telegraph a deal was imminent. "I'd like to think it will happen sometime next week,'' Richardson said. "I'm happy for Joe and I'm happy for us. I think Joe needs to move on. I think he's still got a lot of high-quality football left in him, he just didn't quite fit in with our plans. But he's a great guy and I'd be happy for him if the opportunity came along.''

Galuvao has previously turned down offers from overseas and also rejected a mid-season approach from the Gold Coast Titans. Manager Allan Gainey said Galuvao, 29, wanted to remain close to his family home at St Marys in western Sydney. He said details of the deal were yet to be finalised, but there could be "positive news'' next week for the 2003 premiership player.

"I think there's no problem him getting back to a bit of form, he's just got to be settled and in the right place,'' Gainey said. "He went to Souths and got the big money, but it didn't work out right.''

Eelementary

Post Whore
Been hearing that for a few weeks now. Haven't decided whether it's good or bad yet. I believe you need fresh blood every year to keep things new. And Galuvao is a good player when in form. Who knows?

Hurriflatch

Referee
With Taia gone along with Fa'aoso and Ian Hindmarsh leaving Joe will be a good cheap depth signing

COACH STERLING

Juniors
Phillips said:
would rather keep Ian tbh

aslong as he isnt picked infront of Weller Hauraki

I bet you wouldn't have said that at the start of the year.

Gulavo was signed for 350K. We might have to tweak him a bit, but he'll go OK.

Ian suprised me heaps over this year. He's almost Parra best buy,

Hurriflatch

Referee
He signed with Souths for 350k

Parra will be paying him around 50k and he'll be getting a top up from Souths according to the article

bartman

Immortal
With Cannings leaving too he would be a good depth signing for the forwards. May even get a regular spot in the 17 if his attitude is right?

Penance

Juniors
Hurriflatch said:
He signed with Souths for 350k

Parra will be paying him around 50k and he'll be getting a top up from Souths according to the article
50k? ur dreaming lmao

THE LOWEST would be around 100k

D

Deleted member 10972

Parra next year

Burt
Hayne
Inu
B Smith
Grothe
Finch
T Smith
Cayless
Riddell
Moimoi
Hindmarsh
Robinson
Wagon

Marsh
Mateo
Hauraki
Cordoba

(a prop...Oake?)
Paulo
Galuvao
Lowrie
K Keating
M Keating
Reddy
Tautai? Uaisele?

Hauraki will probably start over Gulla. You guys should have kept Tsoulos IMO.

Joe Davola

Juniors
scuzzi said:
He's definately jumped the shark

Well done scuzzi !

I always loved the "jumped the shark" concept and never thought to apply it to footballers...... worthy of its own thread.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Tim Mannah (not ready for 1st grade yet though) is a very good prop prospect

wouldn't surprise me if Galuvao gets used as a prop for a year before Mannah is ready in 2009

Stagger eel

Staff member
Penance said:
50k? ur dreaming lmao

THE LOWEST would be around 100k

I don't know what you blokes pay for second tier players but he won't be getting any near 100k from us..

He'll be contracted as a second tier player..

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
The issue, as best I understand it, is that he isn't as motivated and driven as JT would like. Hence the clash with Peach as well. These blokes aren't out on the training track pushing themselves and their team mates. THat is the kind of player JT wants to coach.

He is still a decent player, but the same thing will happen at Parra depending on what Hagan makes of his attitude.

Hurriflatch

Referee
Mateo had massive attitude problems prior to Hagan coming which is part of the reason he never played 1st grade other then 1 game in 2004

Latest posts