What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game Day vs Panthers

DJDL

Bench
Nikora had 51 tackle involvements. Has he ever made over 30 in a game before?

He's played 9 games this year for 349 tackles, which is an average of 38.77 per game.
Even taking out last night it's an average of 37.25 per game.
So yes, every week it would seem. :)

Point taken on fatigue though.
Play a match where you're defending for 62% of the time, and most of that defending your line, and you're going to start falling off tackles.

DJDL

Bench
We were good the first six minutes, nicho was kicking good aswell we capitulated after two errors from katoa, hopefully can work on that mental edge, thought second half was okay in patches hopefully we use that performance in a positive way? I dunno we just had a collective shocker after two big emotional wins coming against a pissed of Penrith

The defensive set leading up to the first Katoa error I was thinking we looked to be on top.
We'd minimized their yardage and were really aiming up.

Next thing, handling errors, kicking out on the full, defending off the line and down 18-0.

It was all downhill from there.

Weaponhead

Coach
The defensive set leading up to the first Katoa error I was thinking we looked to be on top.
We'd minimized their yardage and were really aiming up.

Next thing, handling errors, kicking out on the full, defending off the line and down 18-0.

It was all downhill from there.
And that's the difference playing the best big game team. Soft errors get punished. Miss your defensive assignment, get punished. Wait for a momentum shift to get back into the game, too late it's not coming.

The Sharks blinked under pressure and got belted. Penrith were on and they bullied Cronulla. This is the learning to take for the big games. Finding the next gear, staying on the assignment for longer than the other team.

It was a tough lesson but it shows them what they need to do to compete when it really counts. The winning streak means this loss can be be chalked up to a lesson, not a fatal blow. Still in a good position to be well placed come finals time, if they learn the lessons.

bluefox68

Staff member
Katoa has a real problem with this.

A couple of years ago he contributed heavily to a loss against the Broncos with 3 drops off bombs.

Those early errors from him and Ramien absolutely killed us.

Weaponhead

Coach
Katoa has a real problem with this.

A couple of years ago he contributed heavily to a loss against the Broncos with 3 drops off bombs.

Those early errors from him and Ramien absolutely killed us.
Katoa tends to have one or two error filled games a season. He will get get targeted for a few weeks then come through. Penrith tested his resolve under pressure and he didn't get it done. He had to learn and get better.

Jesse is the same. He has tightened up the errors and been much more focused this year.

The other concern was that they didn't defend errors at all well. The defence was not connected on the line. 2 props at marker for the Fisher-Harris try leaving Kennedy at A was poor attention to detail. Nicho overcharging behind the line gifting Luai the inside channel was poor. Nicho not making an effective tackle on Alamoti... the list goes on.

Black Panther

Juniors
Well that should end all the Nicho hype for Origin. He dead set shit the bed . There is no shame getting pumped by the Premiers though. A good lesson to learn in May not September I guess.

Craigshark

First Grade
Maybe it’s time to give Kennedy a rest and bring Dykes in and see what he can do.

I’m not sold on Dykes being the answer, but I honestly don’t think we can win a comp with Kennedy at fullback. He is safe, YES, but what else does he contribute? I can’t remember him ever dominating a game or scoring too many individual tries out of nothing. He just isn’t a threat like the other top fullbacks, e.g Edwards, Turbo, the hammer, Walsh, Tedesco, Ponga then below that, there are players like Bula, Brimson, Sloan, Gutherson, Mitchell who I know may not be as safe or good in other areas, but all have that little bit of individual brilliance.

Kennedy was responsible for both of penrith’s second half tries being out of position. The effort on the Sorensen one was below average. The rest of the team defended their arses off on our line in that second half, you’d be filthy watching not only one but two soft tries come off from quicks that should have really been defused. His effort on JFH was poor also. The game was only 5 minutes old, get under the ball and hold on mate. That’s your job as a fullback.

What’s Smug about telling the truth?

You want to know the truth.

Panther fans used to be nice respected supporters.

Now they’re known as smug arseholes who talk a lot of shyte about other supporters teams.

Maybe they’ve copied the obvious Kent’s in their own team who knows.

Go and talk shyte in your own forum or general forum. But get your smug arse out of ours you bogan Kent.

Oversensitive much? Their contributions seem fair to me.

Your comfortable with opposition supporters slagging off at our team calling them pretenders and that Nicho is shyte etc ?????

Gee you really do take it up the arse.

They can take their smugness into other forums not ours.

shaggs

Coach
He's played 9 games this year for 349 tackles, which is an average of 38.77 per game.

Play a match where you're defending for 62% of the time, and most of that defending your line, and you're going to start falling off tackles.
Well there you go. I never the work he gets through until I see the stats

Frenzy.

Immortal
Maybe it’s time to give Kennedy a rest and bring Dykes in and see what he can do.
hmm can't see it happening. A little birdie told me there may be a bit of an attitude issue there. I think the birdie was a TIT. He's also not NRL fit. Fitz won't drop Will anyway. Loves him so he must be meeting his KPis which we all probably don't know what they are.

Frenzy.

Immortal

Not to mention make simple errors, be out of position, not be able to run as hard, make poor decisions, fail in make effort plays.

Fatigue is one of the great weapons in the game. Penrith put us in the fatigue zone within 20 minutes and we didn't recover because of their relentless attacking of our side using both offence and defence.

shaggs

Coach
Your comfortable with opposition supporters slagging off at our team calling them pretenders and that Nicho is shyte etc ?????

Gee you really do take it up the arse.

They can take their smugness into other forums not ours.
Simple truth is that Nicho was shite last night. In a big game.
Dis those around contribute. Sure, but as the main guy, is his job to get players to spots and kick early and long.

It’s round 12. So lesson learnt. Have Hazelton and OK being playing above their paygrade. 100%. Both very very new as starting props. They might be on burnout.
Did Jesse and Siobe have errors, they haven’t made all year. 100 % they did.

Sharks have improved since last season, but won’t shut up the opposition supporters until the big end of year. Between now and then it’s just practice.

hmm can't see it happening. A little birdie told me there may be a bit of an attitude issue there. I think the birdie was a TIT. He's also not NRL fit. Fitz won't drop Will anyway. Loves him so he must be meeting his KPis which we all probably don't know what they are.

Definitely has to work on his soft tissue issues.

I’m not sold on Dykes being the answer, but I honestly don’t think we can win a comp with Kennedy at fullback. He is safe, YES, but what else does he contribute? I can’t remember him ever dominating a game or scoring too many individual tries out of nothing. He just isn’t a threat like the other top fullbacks, e.g Edwards, Turbo, the hammer, Walsh, Tedesco, Ponga then below that, there are players like Bula, Brimson, Sloan, Gutherson, Mitchell who I know may not be as safe or good in other areas, but all have that little bit of individual brilliance.

Kennedy was responsible for both of penrith’s second half tries being out of position. The effort on the Sorensen one was below average. The rest of the team defended their arses off on our line in that second half, you’d be filthy watching not only one but two soft tries come off from quicks that should have really been defused. His effort on JFH was poor also. The game was only 5 minutes old, get under the ball and hold on mate. That’s your job as a fullback.
I guess one part of Fitz evolving into an elite coach is the ability to show a ruthlessness to move players on if they're not at the level for us to be one of the big boys consistently. Moving moylan on was a start and we got lucky with Dale retiring, not sure if wade wanted another year or not but thankfully it didn't happen.

It's a juggling act with the salary cap but fullback is one of the most important positions on the field and I agree we need a lot more from there and that's something I've thought for a while not just a kneejerk reaction to last night, once the slingshot play became less used he's a non entity a lot of the time, occasionally he looks like his goalline and last ditch defence has improved but he's not much better than drinkwater most times.

Latest posts