What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs Parra

possm

Coach
The Eels already know what to do because they know all about our compressed defensive structure. Get ready for lots of raids down the left wing. Nightingale and Lafai are our week link in this 17 and it showed a few times last week against Penrith.

Flo just doesn't possess the speed to cover the left sideline these days. Mary has him a long way infield with instructions to slide and chase. Every decent coach last year picked this up and employed the long ball out wide and kick out wide to take advantage of the overlap.

Belta

Juniors
I believe we need 4 forwards on the bench and they should all be used, parra's bench came on and ripped in, possibly Sele,

mickeylane

Bench
I believe we need 4 forwards on the bench and they should all be used, parra's bench came on and ripped in, possibly Sele,
Agreed this week i would have 4 forwards on bench and just keep blow torch on all game...need to play for territory, kick, chase, tackle, charge

mickeylane

Bench
I would really like to see Thompson or JDB mark up on Norman and hound him all game - stay on him tight throughout the game - let him know he's being sweated on...it will put him off 100%.. then all we need is to ensure that Widdop squeezes on Guthberson so no ball gets to the Bevans and Jennings' of the world....

hindy111

Post Whore
Radradra thought he was playing union yesterday ,should have been penslised twice both crucial calls
And the Eagles bombed a sure try on ht
Hopefully our win wasnt a flash in the pan
All the team played great
Panthers could have came back if cleary had of scored
That was a cricial moment
Good to see Masoe play in the reserves
Will add to our depth
Fans are talking about the tigers,
I thought souths were ordinary too.no reynolds and Inglis a passenger

Manly bombed a try yes. Bevan bombed one,jennings one and gutherson one.
Two shoulder charges went un penalised and 5 forward passes missed.
A lot of Manly dropped balls where forced by Beau Scott and Tepai defense. And a lot of possesion come from Normans pin point kicking forcing drop outs.

I still like the Dragons.Parra had a tough brutal game while saints werent sapped energy wise. I come in here and told you guys they go better then people think. Everyone slayed Mary. So at some point may have to eat your own words.
Id love both teams to make the finals thou.

Old Timer

Coach
hindy111
All criticism of Mary up until now has been warranted and no apologies are necessary as the results achieved to date are the basis of that.
Moving forward if he gets good and consistent results he deserves to be praised and for it to be acknowledged he has become better at his job.
Fair bit of water to go under the bridge before we get to that point though.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I
The Eels already know what to do because they know all about our compressed defensive structure. Get ready for lots of raids down the left wing. Nightingale and Lafai are our week link in this 17 and it showed a few times last week against Penrith.

Flo just doesn't possess the speed to cover the left sideline these days. Mary has him a long way infield with instructions to slide and chase. Every decent coach last year picked this up and employed the long ball out wide and kick out wide to take advantage of the overlap.
Im with you on this ...irrespective of our win last week we can still stiffen up the team imo with Mann and Milne in the side...its a no brainer.....but you watch if we dont start giving These blokes a run they will move on or their confidence will drop....Vavili is a classic example Mary kept buggerising around with him and not giving him imo a fair go so he lacked that toughened 1st grade experience

The Doc

Juniors
I notice alot of posts saying we won against penrith because basically, penrith let us win.
All this talk they missed tackles and they dropped balls etc etc
Anyone ever stop to consider WE forced them into those errors?
That we forced them to miss tackles with the game we played?
Yes they made errors and missed tackles but it was the way we played that f#cked them up!!!
Saints of old would have shut shop being 24-10 up amd just defended the rest of the game.
This team put there foot on penriths throat and snapped the f#cking thing!
This team went on with the job.
Im taking no credit at all away from the boys.
100% THEY did this...
THEY forced the errors and missed tackles to be made.
THEY went on with the job and trounced a team everyone said would be top 4.
So from this dragons boy... 100% praise goes to the mighty red V.
We outplayed them and made them panic through our agression and the way we played.
Parra will cop the same. Relentless pressure and they will break too.
Dragons this weekend by 18-24 points.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
hindy111
All criticism of Mary up until now has been warranted and no apologies are necessary as the results achieved to date are the basis of that.
Moving forward if he gets good and consistent results he deserves to be praised and for it to be acknowledged he has become better at his job.
Fair bit of water to go under the bridge before we get to that point though.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I agree IF Mary gets us going in the right direction then he deserves to be applauded and as you say a fair FAIR BIT OF WATER under the bridge before then.....unfortunately it will take a TSUNAMI for me to change my mind on his coaching.......but I remain optimistic and hope for all of us he produces the goods

BennyV

Referee
Yes mate, I hear what your saying but rightly or wrongly, I work on the theory that we ( the NRL ) are not at the gridiron stage where we play a set team depending on the opposition.

I'd like to think instead of us having to adapt to the Eels, they will hopefully need to adapt to our way of playing.
We nee to play 'our' game ........... bugger it, let the others chase us.
Just saying.
Of course we are! Not to the extreme where we change our team, but we 100% need to adapt our tactics and strategy to the opposition we play. The best teams do this, it's why (despite the fact that I f**king hate them) I love watching Melbourne dismantle sides who are flying high (see 2012 grand final).

For example, Penrith have a forward pack who are more about skill and finesse than power and aggression, and we took it right to them. They also have a right second rower who has well-documented defensive deficiencies, and we exploited the hell out of them and made him Joel Thompson's bitch. If we think that sort of tactic will fly in the face of Manu Ma'u, Beau Scott or Tepai Moeroa, we are in for a rude shock on Sunday! Parramatta's halfback and centres are also far more experienced and dangerous than that of Penrith and most importantly, their coach is a f**king terrior. He will sure as hell be adapting to our game plan, we should be prepping for theirs.

Worst of all, and the biggest reason to strategise based on our opposition, is that we dont have a Plan B. We dont have the players in our squad, other than Dugan, who can adjust what is happening and create opportunities. Parra have that in spades. We definitely need to be on our game here.

Smack

Coach
I'd hope our forwards don't get too carried away and aggressive early on deep in our oppositions half as the Eels have the talent to cut our line apart if we leave a gap and miss a tackle. I know we have confidence and momentum, but I'd like to see a controlled defence that will sustain the team for the entire regular season.

Old Timer

Coach
Did anyone see the point of play where Penrith were given a penalty near our line and the ref put himself in our defensive line right near Frizzell?
Tyson looked like he was about to lightly push the ref or touch him slightly to get him to move out of his line of vision but thankfully that didn't happen.
The refs need to understand not to stand in positions where they impair the defensive players vision or provide a block for the attacking team.
Knowing our luck if he had of even brushed the ref he would have been given 2 weeks.

Gareth67

First Grade
The point I noticed about the Eels pack on Sunday was that they tackled anything that moved . They smothered the Manly pack , and made them earn each meter , a bit like the Bennetts Dragons did on a weekly basis . That plus the ever so quick back-line and Brad Arthur's footy smarts , spells danger .

The Big Red V will need to be at their best , if they can get over the top of the Parramatta forwards and ask a few questions of the opposition's defence , we may get away with a win . If they can do this , then this will set a very good platform for future success throughout the season .

giboz71

First Grade
If we shut down Norman, we should win. French, Pritchard and Gutherson are good players but are inexperienced. Our spine on paper anyway, is better than theirs.

If Widdop, Duges and McInnes deliver, on the back of our forwards, playing at WIN we should win well.

since77

Juniors
Did anyone see the point of play where Penrith were given a penalty near our line and the ref put himself in our defensive line right near Frizzell?
Tyson looked like he was about to lightly push the ref or touch him slightly to get him to move out of his line of vision but thankfully that didn't happen.
The refs need to understand not to stand in positions where they impair the defensive players vision or provide a block for the attacking team.
Knowing our luck if he had of even brushed the ref he would have been given 2 weeks.

He actually did touch the ref. Common sense prevailed this time though.

possm

Coach
If we shut down Norman, we should win. French, Pritchard and Gutherson are good players but are inexperienced. Our spine on paper anyway, is better than theirs.

If Widdop, Duges and McInnes deliver, on the back of our forwards, playing at WIN we should win well.
I think we need to be careful when compressing the left side defence. Last week I notice the Panthers made good ground on the left side. I also noticed Nightingale and Lafai were very slow in sliding and positioning themselves out wide.

Belta

Juniors
Doc said; "we out played them made them panic through our aggression..." 100 percent agree with this statement, however I must say that's Moylans defence made Soward look like the "axe"

Drakon

Juniors
Yeah OT, I noticed it. Had my heart in my mouth for a sec. I didn't think he touched him.

Latest posts