What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Game vs Parra

SEAT 1A

Bench
I'd hope our forwards don't get too carried away and aggressive early on deep in our oppositions half as the Eels have the talent to cut our line apart if we leave a gap and miss a tackle. I know we have confidence and momentum, but I'd like to see a controlled defence that will sustain the team for the entire regular season.

Agree Smack.

The whole pack of forwards should be able to strut about a bit due to demolishing the Pennies and another mighty effort is needed.

Parra know what's coming however, as you say the Dragons pack have the confidence and momentum and I don't see them being able to dominate.

Dragons by 12+.

Gareth67

First Grade
I just hope that somebody at the Eels feeds Frank Pritchard before the match , as the last thing we need is for him to go out and start accidentally kneeing Dragon players in the rib-gage .

Looking forward to a great game , the Parramatta boys will put up a strong fight . Should we come away with a victory , it will be one that has been earned .

Last edited:

dragonssamy61

First Grade
I just hope that somebody at the Eels feeds Frank Pritchard before the match , as the last thing we need is for him to go out and start accidentally kneeing Dragon players in the rib-gage .

Looking forward to a great game , the Parramatta boys will put up a strong fight . Should we come away with a victory , it will be one that has been earned .

Gareth
We better issue widdop with a full body suite.

getsmarty

Immortal
Coach's Preview: Round 2 v Parramatta Eels
Thu 9th March, 03:00PM
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has discussed the Dragons' preparation leading into the Round 2 clash against the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, March 12.

McGregor opens up on the Dragons' big Round 1 win over the Panthers and the aggressivensss of the Eels' forward pack following their win over the Sea Eagles last weekend.

http://www.dragons.com.au/news/2017/03/09/coach_s_preview_roun.html

ALSGI

Bench
A A

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has discussed the Dragons' preparation leading into the Round 2 clash against the Parramatta Eels at WIN Stadium, Wollongong on Sunday, March 12.

McGregor opens up on the Dragons' big Round 1 win over the Panthers and the aggressivensss of the Eels' forward pack following their win over the Sea Eagles last weekend.

Can someone tell Mary we have backs on the field as well please.

Crush

Coach
A A

Was he saying one hot soup doesn't make a winner? Or a winter?
Either way, I have not heard of this expression.

ALSGI

Bench
Was he saying one hot soup doesn't make a winner? Or a winter?
Either way, I have not heard of this expression.
Crush
I think he said "one hout soup doesn't make a winger" he was referring (in code) to Mann being left out! Lol.
If we win on Sunday, it'll be "two hot soups" if we lose it'll be "one hot soup followed by a cold soup doesn't make a contract"
He's getting ready for his next job on Master Chef with His little brother George.

Crush

Coach
Crush
I think he said "one hout soup doesn't make a winger" he was referring (in code) to Mann being left out! Lol.
If we win on Sunday, it'll be "two hot soups" if we lose it'll be "one hot soup followed by a cold soup doesn't make a contract"
He's getting ready for his next job on Master Chef with His little brother George.
Lol
I can just see it now, one hot soup followed by a run of Gazpacho soups.
Whatever happens from here on in we will always have round 1, the round we produced hot soup.....

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Quite a few forum members have
mentioned Sele as on the shortlist for future NRL selection. Having watched and read about recent games I would not rate him at the top of the shortlist.
I would rate Masoe, Matthews, Leilua, Lawrie, Hind and Kerr higher on the shortlist as they are bigger and more intimidating.

dragonssamy61

First Grade
Crush

ALSGI
He's going to be the new soup nazi off the gong lol

Glenn01

Juniors
Parra were rubbish last week. Their only saving grace was that Manly were worse. Beau Scott was a great second rower 6 years ago. See how Norman goes when his forwards are getting trampled. SGI to win by 20. MOM: Duges.

This Year?

Immortal
If we play the way we played on saturday regardless of what Parra side rocks up we will be well in the contest. Forwards did a great job laying the platform for the backs to play off. If this continues all year we will win more than we lose and definitely have a solid base to build from going forward.
Still a lot of work to be done and by no means getting carried away, however we were a different side to the one that played souths in the charity shield and regardless of the score against an average Penrith outfit, there were some good signs

I'm totally with Coppo on this. I just hope our boys can maintain the rage and give us something to be proud of.

This Year?

Immortal
The Eels already know what to do because they know all about our compressed defensive structure. Get ready for lots of raids down the left wing. Nightingale and Lafai are our week link in this 17 and it showed a few times last week against Penrith.

Flo just doesn't possess the speed to cover the left sideline these days. Mary has him a long way infield with instructions to slide and chase. Every decent coach last year picked this up and employed the long ball out wide and kick out wide to take advantage of the overlap.

Very true poss but also for that play to be executed they ned go forward and a quick potb. We can cover that if our forwards are up to the task and don't give any metres away.

BennyV

Referee
Quite a few forum members have
mentioned Sele as on the shortlist for future NRL selection. Having watched and read about recent games I would not rate him at the top of the shortlist.
I would rate Masoe, Matthews, Leilua, Lawrie, Hind and Kerr higher on the shortlist as they are bigger and more intimidating.
He would be above all those bar maybe Leilua/Mose IF they get to full fitness, and even that's questionable.

Sele came through as a lock, including when he played Junior Kangaroos, and only started playing prop last year in Cutters. He may not have the size, but his footwork before the line and leg drive put him well above most of those listed above. Defensively, he is a weapon in both quality and quantity. Definitely deserves to be next in line.

TruSaint

Referee
He would be above all those bar maybe Leilua/Mose IF they get to full fitness, and even that's questionable.

Sele came through as a lock, including when he played Junior Kangaroos, and only started playing prop last year in Cutters. He may not have the size, but his footwork before the line and leg drive put him well above most of those listed above. Defensively, he is a weapon in both quality and quantity. Definitely deserves to be next in line.

Havent seen enough to judge, but from i have seen I would have Luc / Mose and Kerr / Hind ahead of him. Again only from the limited views o have seen of Sele.

Mose needs to get fit asap. agree.

Dragsters

First Grade
Sele, having seen him play a few times only, looks to me to have more potential to add value the side than matthews and the love child, but less than the fit mose and luc ahead of him.

Kerr is a giant with the ball, but needs to work on his lateral defense.

Hind is getting better every time I see him.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
To me Hind looks the goods and is tough. I would love to see him get a run in the NRL side as I can not remember him having a bad game for Illawarra. If Sele is playing out of position that may account for him not
standing out. One of the props in the
Under 20's Matt Sheppard looked good.

hermidale1

Juniors

Sele is rated higher than these players through his work rate and strength. He will go all day. If a game got into a dog fight he would never let the team down.
The only thing that held him back in the last 12 months was injury.
I expect to see him some time this year get his debut. Hopefully soon.