What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gameplans and tactics

jamoss

Juniors
teams need to mix things up more.. the game is getting too formula driven.. the element of surprise alone can have benefits and its not being taken advanatge of well enough. The short kick off used to be good but its like the only trick anyone tries for variation.. there needs to be more innovation.

One thing i dont understand is why teams dont strive more for the one on one strips, especially towards the end of the game if they are behind.. If they were deliberately letting the first defnder tackle solo from a kick off with the intent to get the ball it could give them possession at the right end of the field.. At the very least if one person attacks the ball it could generate a knock on.

Im not a coach but i know that there is too much formula and besides the tactical benefits variation can bring its also more interesting from the viewers perspective.

Evenflow

Bench
Nathan Brown has better game plans than ol' no game plans Bellamy. Gaba made me see the error of my ways.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Search the forums and find a fellow by the name of Gaba. It will be a good forum learning experience for you.

Just don't talk about Mitchell Pearce or Craig Bellamy.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
teams need to mix things up more.. the game is getting too formula driven.. the element of surprise alone can have benefits and its not being taken advanatge of well enough. The short kick off used to be good but its like the only trick anyone tries for variation.. there needs to be more innovation.

One thing i dont understand is why teams dont strive more for the one on one strips, especially towards the end of the game if they are behind.. If they were deliberately letting the first defnder tackle solo from a kick off with the intent to get the ball it could give them possession at the right end of the field.. At the very least if one person attacks the ball it could generate a knock on.

Im not a coach but i know that there is too much formula and besides the tactical benefits variation can bring its also more interesting from the viewers perspective.

For what it's worth, I think you are right. It does seem like one style fits all.......

beave

Coach
someone please put Jamoss out of his misery and explain the Gaba references/bag fest.

Didgi

See Carty head to the sideline tonight?

Unfortunately they just don't have anything against good defensive teams.

And lol@OP getting defensive.

Loudstrat

Coach
OP is ok - genuine question for a newby. We should laugh at the two gimps who tried to bag him for it?

BTW, we are all trying to work Gaba out.

Jamoss - good question. There is too much one dimensional play. back a few years ago there were no decent halves in the game (bar Johns), mainly because of forwards dominated safety first football. We had a brief renaissance, but not it seems that we are back. Prince is playing like crap, Benji not much better.

AlwaysGreen

Immortal
The problem with the game at the moment is that when evenly matched sides play they are just playing simple football looking for play that swings momentum into their favour. Usually this momentum swing occurs because of a penalty. The reward for a penalty should be reduced. (unless its for foul play). In the modern era a kick for line plus 6 more tackles is too much of a boost to a side, especially when penalties rewarded are often questionable and inconsistent.

When a penalty is given I'd like to see either:
six more tackles from the point where the penalty was given (that is no line kick). or

A kick for line and three tackles from the subsequent tap.

mongoose

Coach
The problem with the game at the moment is that when evenly matched sides play they are just playing simple football looking for play that swings momentum into their favour. Usually this momentum swing occurs because of a penalty. The reward for a penalty should be reduced. (unless its for foul play). In the modern era a kick for line plus 6 more tackles is too much of a boost to a side, especially when penalties rewarded are often questionable and inconsistent.

When a penalty is given I'd like to see either:
six more tackles from the point where the penalty was given (that is no line kick). or

A kick for line and three tackles from the subsequent tap.

So can they still kick for goal?

I like what you are suggesting though..

Canard

Immortal

Sorry mate its just an "in-joke" to those familiar with this forum.

Perhaps if you gave some examples of the formula driven parts of the game, it would help this discussion and your point.

Of the top of my head trying to the strip the ball from ball runner from the kick off would be a high risk play that could backfire badly, and result in the ball runner making significant metres.

Pedge1971

First Grade
The best team at the moment is Saints, and they build their game on brilliant defence. History shows the best teams innovate (in early 80's Eels were brilliant in attack, Dogs in Defence - they split premierships) whilst others can improve by copying but never be the best.

The next team to come through will need to be brilliant in attack, and that means innovation to get over and around some very good defences. It will happen, but agree the lack of good little guys is taking it's toll on the game. Sure we will get a good one soon.........

Latest posts