What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garreth Ellis Stats

Spank

Juniors
No 1 player could help what happened on Monday, the entire team was flat and not interested.

Ellis will tacle will venom and he will break tackles, just give the bloke a chance not write him off before he even sets foot in Australia ;)

No 1 player could help what happened on Monday, the entire team was flat and not interested.

Ellis will tacle will venom and he will break tackles, just give the bloke a chance not write him off before he even sets foot in Australia ;)

But his stats are bad :crazy: According to the experts that's enough to say he'll be a flop :crazy:

Johnny_L_O

Juniors
He stats haven't been the greatest because he has played half the season at centre due to a major injury problem at Leeds. Did any of you see those highlights I posted? He was breaking tackles, making 10/15m per carry. He hits very hard in the tackle. There probably only Leuluai who hits harder at Leeds. Did you see the try he set up for Brent Webb? His running angle was so good and the speed in which he attacked was superb.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I must say, watching him play against PNG and Australia, he's been nothing short of average.

Heighington is a better player than him from what I've seen so far.

I have a bad feeling about this bloke, I hope he proves me wrong.

innsaneink

Referee
He's done SFA!
Even when he's not playing center, he's still hanging out in the backline, bludging and waiting for a spell....7 runs for 59 metres... just what we need, another overpriced hack...I may change my opinion when he does someything of note, but since we announced his sig, he's done jack

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors
He'll be good for the tigers, one of the best buys for the 09 season trust me. You can't judge just one game.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
He'll be good for the tigers, one of the best buys for the 09 season trust me. You can't judge just one game.
madunit said:
I must say, watching him play against PNG and Australia
It's pretty clear I'm not referring to one game, you dumb bastard.

He has been completely ineffective. Defence is average, nothing with any mongrel, his attack his pretty average, no barnstorming runs or big metres made, he looks as though his ball skills are completely non-existant, he's the sort of bloke that will just do hit ups without looking to off-load, or make a whole lot of metres.

If we wanted a player like that, we should have just kept Teo, he'd have cost less.

CHRIS SANDOW

Juniors

He has been completely ineffective. Defence is average, nothing with any mongrel, his attack his pretty average, no barnstorming runs or big metres made, he looks as though his ball skills are completely non-existant, he's the sort of bloke that will just do hit ups without looking to off-load, or make a whole lot of metres.

If we wanted a player like that, we should have just kept Teo, he'd have cost less.

How much did Ellis cost??
I haven't paid close attention to him but Jamie Lyon and some others rate this bloke.

Maybe I am looking at him through rose-tinted (wanting him to be better than what I see) but he put a good hit on Steve Price, didn't he, in the Australia game. He wasn't 'the best second rower in the world' but he looked big enough, and maybe will come good. I don't know if many of the Pommie have matched up to their reputations.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
How much did Ellis cost??
I haven't paid close attention to him but Jamie Lyon and some others rate this bloke.
Being rated highly by other players doesn't mean anything really if he doesn't perform.

I'm sure there are people out there who rate John Morris, someone does for him to have played first grade for so long.

Doesn't mean he's any good.

One hit on one player isn't really enough to get me excited, he's done f**king nothing so far, just like the rest of the pommie team, except for maybe Rob Burrow and their hooker.

With a pack being dominated, i'd like to see our star signing pull up his socks and do everything he can to inspire his pack and get them moving forwards.

Instead he goes to the bench, or just sits out wide, as ink said, like a centre.

He's an expensive version of Ben Te'o from what I've seen so far, which is a massive f**king worry.

When will we stop buying softcock forwards?

N.C.

Juniors
He made a couple of good runs out wide, and his defense was passable. I didn't see the game against the Kumuls but his stats from that game suggest he had a better one against the Roos.

I suspect he would do better when playing in a less dominated pack, so unless we're about to pick up a seriously seasoned prop who knows how to wreak havoc in the middle of the park to line up along side him, I think we might have signed another dud.

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I suspect WT were after a name, any name, and not picky about position. WT & Teflon Tim have managed to ignore the perennial prblems positions of prop and half for years - why should they change now? Back rowers we have in abundance- yet we go for a name second rower- try and figure the logic I've given up trying.

I've nothing against Ellsis- just I cant see the need for him.

super_coach

First Grade
Ellis strikes me as a player who could shine in a QUALITY side against AVERAGE OPPSITION but may struggle when the situation is the opposite.

Although when you look at our playing roster for 2009 he is miles in front of half of them. We have a few who would struggle for a bench spot in the QLD cup. Lack of quality in the front row will bite us again for the fourth year in a row.

Our only real hope is Gallop and the NRL get serious and speed the ruck up like in 2005 and cut all the world championship wrestling out. Than players like Farah get their rewards and teams with fast and skillfull forwards get the bacon.

Anyway Iam not going to knock him till he has had a month or so of NRL under his belt. The guy must be serious about his trip down under because he could earn heaps more back their and be paid in pounds and not paseos

Magpies Forever

Juniors
I'm not knocking him- good on him for wanting to try something rather than just money. I just cant see the need for him- we are not short of backrowers- unless they intend giving the "tap on the shoulder" to the backrower ranks to free up $$$ to spend on prop and half for 2010??????

I dunno- no obvious logic in their signings or retention.

super_coach

First Grade
Although we are well stocked on backrowers, we are pretty short of the barnstorming wide running backrower and thats where Ellis fits the bill. Teo was being groomed for that role, but decided to head north.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I haven't seen him Barnstorming yet, i haven't seen him bend grass yet

super_coach

First Grade
Yeh it hasnt happened yet, but thats the role I think Sheens wants from him. Without a frontrow and a no7 to guide the way he could be in for a hard time

N.C.

Juniors
Anyone read that article which had McLennan comparing him to Dollar Bill Will???

westie

Bench
It was interesting watching hin from behind the posts in Melbourne. For a big guy he still has the footwork he had a few years ago. I remember thinking (thru a drunken haze) that I couldn't remember the last time we had a backrower who could actually poke his head through consistently.