What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Garth Brennan and Titans part ways, Holbrook to take over in 2020

I Bleed Maroon

Referee
The Titans are a bit of a dead weight at the moment to be honest. Can't find on field success to save themselves, and that is obviously not helping the fact that they can't find a supporter either. They cant rely on the likes of Ash Taylor, the players who were recruited to be the names on supporters lips, because with the exception of perhaps Jai Arrow they're all flops who aren't gonna draw the crowds putting in mediocre at best performances. They know they'll have the majority of CBus empty year round so they rent out giant advertisement banners to cover the stands at each end.

The GC does seem to be a bit of an enigma when it comes to sport. It's as if there is already so much different leisure available in the area that something like sport would almost seem quaint. The Suns are doing even worse if you can believe that (it's AFL in QLD, you can probably believe that). Making huge decisions like this with relative confidence and ease must be considered radical by most, but if I were in the NRL's shoes, I'd be laying down the law to Meninga. Either plug the leaks in this tub or ship it off to the West Coast and start fresh. The Titans brand itself is pretty much useless by that point so call them the Pirates and there you go, putting the National back into National Rugby League.

betcats

Referee
Still remember reading they had to lock the toilets at training cause hayne would go hide in them during the tough fitness work. He f**ked them completely, they were building until he arrived.

thorson1987

Coach
Brian Smith could do a good job there. Build the squad back up, become a more relaxed side, makes finals but never take the extra step.

Brian Smith could do a good job there. Build the squad back up, become a more relaxed side, makes finals but never take the extra step.

No. The good mail in the UK is that Justin Holbrooke will be the Titans coach in 2020. Also he will bring some of his St Helens star players with him, possibly including the French pocket rocket Theo Fages.

TheFrog

Coach
You are the worst judge of rugby league on this whole site you dopey merkin
"Anyone who doesn't agree with me doesn't know Rugby League." Umina Ricky? You can create a new account with a new name but your arrogance betrays you.

ram raid

Bench
I guess with the Broncos struggling he still thinks he's a chance of getting a gig with them.

He's probably waiting for the NQ Job.

You may think he's smart passing it up, but the flip side of the coin is maybe he is being too picky by shunning the opportunity. Look in a perfect world he would have gotten the Broncos job but not everything in Rugby League should be given on a silver platter and Walters is getting on. If the train comes and goes he may never get another opportunity. Riding on the coattails of the Broncos maybe something he may have liked but creating a new NRL force and turning the Titans into no longer the Broncos little brother like Paul Green has done with Cowboys would be something legendary.

Despite Kevin Walters ruling out taking the job the Titans reportedly still have him shortlisted as one of their candidates.

Perhaps.

Kevie is not a proven coach yet anyway. He has name recognition going for him, but that's about it. He'd be able to command respect from the players and get them motivated. Those skills are well-suited for a SOO type gig. But over the course of an entire season where you have to come up with weekly game plans it could amount to very little. There's a reason the Broncs passed him over for Seibold. The new breed of NRL coaches are very technical and academic. I don't know much about Kevie. But he doesn't strike me as a genius. 'Mentors' are not what clubs are looking for. Bennett is the exception. He succeeds because he doesn't over-coach and is happy to delegate to more technical minds.

ram raid

Bench

No way. Player power would result in a lost dressing room. The players aren't afraid to under-perform because they know there's an outside perception that it's it's just the club. I.e.. They will get offers from other clubs regardless of how they play.

King hit

Coach
Walters isn't an NRL coaches Arsehole.

Neither is Fittler or Meninga for that matter.

Fittler did have the Roosters in the top 4 in 2008 and had them playing quite decently till 2009. Yes they came last in 09 but I wouldn’t call his roosters stint as a total failure, more mixed imo. His NRL coaching experience has really helped him in his representative coaching, he has said so himself.

Justin Holbrook would be a much better coach than Kevin Walters, who has shown himself to be excessively emotional. Justin Holbrook is passionate about his players but never cries in public the way that Walters does when his team loses.

adamkungl

Immortal
Fittler did have the Roosters in the top 4 in 2008 and had them playing quite decently till 2009. Yes they came last in 09 but I wouldn’t call his roosters stint as a total failure, more mixed imo. His NRL coaching experience has really helped him in his representative coaching, he has said so himself.

Fittler has the football smarts but I don't know if he has the temperament. Coaching week to week NRL, managing a squad of 30 buffons and thinking weeks, months, and years ahead while other people in the club are whispering their own plans behind your back.

Totally different ball game to 3 weeks of rep footy.

Imo Titans should look for new blood.
Rookie coaches and 1 club coaches have won every NRL premiership back to 2010, and then again back to 2003.
Proven failures do not work.

As such, get in the bin:
Walters Furner Barrett Taylor Griffin Henjak Henry Smith Kidwell Potter Elliot McFadden McNamara Price Sheens

The only previously sacked coach i'd give any time of day is Toovey - made a Grand Final this decade and came close to winning it.

Holbrook or Demetriou would be who I'd be targeting though.

thorson1987

Coach

Yeah but he also played Anasta at fullback.

thorson1987

Coach
No way. Player power would result in a lost dressing room. The players aren't afraid to under-perform because they know there's an outside perception that it's it's just the club. I.e.. They will get offers from other clubs regardless of how they play.

Smith is generally the guy you bring in to clear all the bullshit up though, but you just don't want him there for too long. Give him 3 years and things could start looking up for them.

King hit

Coach
I feel Anthony Griffin would be a good fit for the Titans. He has a respectable record and did build up the 2015 Broncos team before Bennett got the credit. He might be able to build a decent roster for the Titans.

Yeah but he also played Anasta at fullback.

I thought that was Anderson since he used that 1 marker idea

thorson1987

Coach
I feel Anthony Griffin would be a good fit for the Titans. He has a respectable record and did build up the 2015 Broncos team before Bennett got the credit. He might be able to build a decent roster for the Titans.

I thought that was Anderson since he used that 1 marker idea

Nah Freddy in 2009. Had to google check before I hit post reply because I became a bit unsure on the exact time aswell.

https://forums.leagueunlimited.com/...-roosters-anasta-at-fullback-what-the.324521/

adamkungl

Immortal

What did he build exactly? In 2011 he made the finals with a Lockyer captained team he inherited, and then they got worse every year before Bennett cleaned up his mess.

Saxon

Bench
No. The good mail in the UK is that Justin Holbrooke will be the Titans coach in 2020. Also he will bring some of his St Helens star players with him, possibly including the French pocket rocket Theo Fages.
Yeah, we heard you the first time. We just don't care.

The Bye

Juniors
That’s exactly what this club needs. More reserve graders flooding its roster!