What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasiner keen on French deal

Inferno

Coach
Probably enough to re-sign Cooper, buy Peter Wallance, Michael Ennis and Ben Hannant altogether.

Hmm, well Wallace isn't going anywhere just yet.

Might free up enough money to re-think your stance on Barrett though.

Cooper-Man

Bench
I think from a fans point if view its fair to say that NO PERSON, be it a player, coach, manager, director OR CEO is bigger than the RED V or the great St George club. But in reality the club is run like a table tennis club playing in the local RSL comp. It seams like they have forgetten where it all began. The fact that they have one of the most recognised jerseys in the WORLD........the RED V, should be enough for them to put the players on the spot and have a spine. They should be able to tell them..............."when you wear the RED V, you HAVE TO lift to another level "............."you have to play at a certain expectation"................"you have to respect the RED V". If you dont want to do that dont sign on the dotted line. Go find another club to play for. THIS IS WHAT PLAYING FOR SAINTS SHOULD BE ABOUT.

I might be the only person saying this.............but who the f**k is GAZ. He is not bigger than the RED V or the great St George team...........SO, if he is thinking about leaving, let him go. He obviously isnt happy with his $15000.00 per week income and his care free lifestyle. FFS he is the captain of one of the most famous teams in the f**ken world, and all he can think about is his pocket and dick.

you know what.................he owes it to us, he owes it to the club and he owes it to his uncle to fullfil his contract and and win a f**kEN grand final. Becuase if it wasnt for his uncles name he could not demand all the $$$$ he is on. (yes he is a great player but we dont need another mundine wanting to leave the club every six months and destablising the team).

Im sick of all these GET OUT clauses we sign off on.

OurRedV

Juniors
The fact that he didn't squash the talks about him leaving yesterday at the post match press conference is proof enough for me that he is leaving. It's hard to swallow; considering we signed him for 5 years and then he gets injured for a whole season, comes back and we've got a mickey mouse attitude in '08 'cos our Coach has nothing to play for.
It's becoming a joke... these contracts mean nothing. a 5 year deal with an escape if Brown leaves was never going to be iron clad. Brown had no chance of seeing another 5 years.

SIR LANCELOT

Juniors
We only want players who are loyal to the Dragons.
IF he has other priorities,be it so.
Not good enough ,then let him go.
ANOTHER will take his place.
Let him go and join the rat race.

CHEERS Lancelot.:sarcasm::sarcasm::sarcasm:

how dumb is mark gasnier?

next year..Wayne Bennett will be coaching the team.

why would you even consider leaving? before he even gets there??

he looks like an idiot. this confirms it.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
well there we go, on 9 news tonight, the cats out of the bag, Gaz is owed thousands by the sponsors who wont pay

murraymob

Coach
was also reported on ten news the amount of sponsorship owed is over $100 thousand .You can not blame the guy if this is the sort of money he is owed

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade
was also reported on ten news the amount of sponsorship owed is over $100 thousand .You can not blame the guy if this is the sort of money he is owed
yeah i dont blame him at all, bloody f**ken manegment, sh*t man, this club is sinking, we get one good news folowed by ten bad

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It smells of player manager/contract talk.

This sort of stuff is part of the business nowadays... don't let it stress you.

steelers82

Juniors
just seen on nine news that gaz is owed hundreds of thousands of sponsership dollars and has been for months on end.if this is the case i dont blame him for looking around.to me this is poor form from his mananger to let this happen

Quigs

Immortal
Noddies going cheap ... get your tootie fruitee Noddies.....
Noddies going cheap,
Noddies going cheap ... get your tootie fruitee Noddies.....

Cheers
Quigs

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Btw, by 'nowadays' I means the modern business where players and their managers seeking money is far more orchestrated, especially in the media.

Of course less 'sophisticated' negotiations have been going on since before rugby football became a professional sport. The battles to lure union players to league, and vice versa, are well documented.

Worth noting that Mark's uncle even played the union card to negotiate a better deal with Saints. Reg Gasnier is recorded as saying to Frank Facer that he was quite serious about switching to union if the club didn't come up with the right offer. After seeing the interview, I believe him... and apparently Frank did as well.

Personally, I normally wish any player the best when they make a better deal for themselves and their family. But that was based on on the notion that $100,000 per year was considered a great wage for playing the game that you love.

nadine

Juniors
My mother saw Gaz in our local deli today. I joked with her she should have asked how's France going? ;)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ok what am i missing here? Why the hell wont the sponsors pay him his money???
There's nothing new about disputes in sponsorship deals.

Fact is, we only have media reports to go on...

The Nine Network claimed Gasnier was owed hundreds of thousands of US dollars because of disputes relating to the non-payment of deals with sponsors, though neither the club nor his manager George Mimis returned AAP's calls to address the issue.

http://news.smh.com.au/doust-stumped-by-gasniers-move-to-rugby/20080512-2dby.html

Overstated by the player manager imo.