What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier staying

Anonymous

Juniors
The rumours and speculation are finally over with the Dragons announcing that Mark Gasnier will not be released to play in Wigan.

Media release:
The St George Illawarra Dragons today announced that they were not prepared to release Origin centre Mark Gasnier from his current contract with the Club, which expires at the end of the 2006 season.

Gasnier, 23, has been the subject of speculation that he would seek a release from his Dragons contract to accept a lucrative offer to join English Club Wigan.

Dragons Chief Executive Officer Peter Doust today said the Club had advised Gasnier and his management that such a release would not be granted, ensuring the popular centre will stay with the Dragons for at least the next two years following this season.

“We have had discussions with Mark’s management concerning a possible release but in the end we could not adequately resolve the details such as a date of return,” said Doust.

“It’s a complex issue but I certainly never wanted him to go anywhere and, quite frankly, why would you. Mark is an outstanding talent, a key member of our team and he will be fundamental in our plans for future success.

“Notwithstanding this, I took a lot of time to consider his point of view but in the end we have made a decision that Mark accepts and understands.”

Gasnier, currently sidelined with a broken collar bone suffered in the deciding Origin match earlier this month, said he is pleased the issue has been resolved.

“I totally understand the Club’s position and they are well within their rights to make the decision they have,” said Gasnier.

“I have had some things to consider over recent months but I am pleased that the speculation over my playing future has now been settled.

“I just want to get on with it now and play some good football for the Dragons. My immediate priority is to get my shoulder right and get back on the field to help my team-mates achieve this season.”

bubs

Juniors
But that is not to say he didn't WANT to leave is it Willow.?
It sounds like he wanted OUT. But was refused.
Will he put in for the next two seasons at the Queens????????

innsaneink

Referee
“I just want to get on with it now and play some good football for the Dragons."

Geez he's seemed to be saying this a lot this year, ay? :lol: :lol: :lol:

:alcho: :alcho: :alcho: [-X[-X[-X :sleeper: :sleeper: :sleeper:

Parraren

Bench
Firstly, congratulations to the Dragons.

I don't want to be the party pooper but wouldn't the news have been a bit more convincing if it were "Gasnier wants to stay with Dragons" rather than "Dragons will not release Gasnier". I'd just hate to see another Jamie Lyon situation again next year.

Does Mark really want to stay?

Southernsaint

Staff member
The club & fans have shown a ton of faith in him in the last couple of years. I hope be returns that favour & fires up now...

Cheers,
Ben S.

Anonymous

Juniors
bubs said:
But that is not to say he didn't WANT to leave is it Willow.?
It sounds like he wanted OUT. But was refused.
Will he put in for the next two seasons at the Queens????????
lol. Sorry bubs, I have trouble reading the future... I leave that sort of rumour mongering up to our fellow forummers. ;-)

But he'll be fine. At the end of the day they're professional footballers.

RenoufPhan

Juniors
Who cares. He's overrated and injury prone.

Illawarra are stupid for investing so much of their cap in players who spend most of the season sidelined with injury.

ibeme

First Grade
RenoufPhan said:
Who cares. He's overrated and injury prone.

Illawarra are stupid for investing so much of their cap in players who spend most of the season sidelined with injury.

Wow. Can you provide a list of when and where players will be injured in the future?

RenoufPhan

Juniors
I'm not being a smart @ss. Just stating facts.

Just look at the injury history of their elite group of players, and you will see what I'm talking about (Ryles, Barrett, Gasnier, Timmins, and to a lesser extent Luke Bailey).

Razor

Coach
He became a regular first grader in 2001

2001- 28/28
2002- 14/26
2003- 13/24

He has played in 55 of 78 games - so 70% of the time he played. There are a lot of players with records less than that. He had 2 years (the past 2) where he missed half the season, but that happens to a lot of players.

Anonymous

Juniors
RenoufPhan, you're sort of right about injuries but your answer regarding Gasnier is in your own post. It's not just one player. I think whenever a Dragons player gets sidelined now, he's labellled as being 'injury prone', simply because the club has had too many injuries over the last few seasons.

If you wanted to start picking out players who miss a number of games, the same can be said about Andrew Johns. But the NRL and the Knights pulled out all stops to keep him in League.

Kiwi

First Grade
Willow said:
RenoufPhan, you're sort of right about injuries but your answer regarding Gasnier is in your own post. It's not just one player. I think whenever a Dragons player gets sidelined now, he's labellled as being 'injury prone', simply because the club has had too many injuries over the last few seasons.

If you wanted to start picking out players who miss a number of games, the same can be said about Andrew Johns. But the NRL and the Knights pulled out all stops to keep him in League.

I think you are right to some degree, yes some get labeled injury prone when they shouldn't, but the ones listed, Barrett, Thompson, Ryles, Timmins and Bailey are all subject to serious injuries. Barrett for exmple has had injury plaged seasons for how many now? 3 or 4?

I can understand them staying loyal to these players, and wanting to keep them on the off chance they might come right, but to pay them to the point of losing other blokes is another thing.

Jimbo

Immortal
Willow said:
At the end of the day they're professional footballers.

You'd have to agree that Gasnier has stretched the definition of 'professional footballer' somewhat this year...

It will be amusing watching him play 20 games under sufferance over the next two years while he waits to get out