What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier/Union: Possible 780K deal

God-King Dean

Immortal
I only got bits & pieces of the stort on National 9 News...

But Peter Doust believes Union are conjurring up a package for Gasnier worth $780, 000 !

Doust has approached David Gallop about this possble problem with a hypothetical that the NRL could help out in some way, Andrew Johns style.

Keep an eye on this space for further details...

God-King Dean

Immortal
I should mention Gallop said " Peter (Doust) has approached us & given us a hypothetical situation. But we must operate within the rules of the salary cap "

That's very interesting David.

So Andrew Johns is exempt from the rules ?

Newcastle is exempt from the rules ?

legend

Coach
If Gasnier is bored in League, let him go. He'l be unsettled within six months in Union and there are plenty to replace him.

The thing is, Gasnier always has an issue of some kind.

The Dragons need to get rid of the issues like him at the club and get back to being a Rugby League team, not a bloody team of head cases.

drake

First Grade
If that's Gallop's stand, how come fat arse is still playing?

Within the salary cap my arse.

Hindyscrack

Bench
Johns is probably one of the greats to play the game... on the other hand Gasnier is not in that class... enough reason for me for the NRL to get involved with Joey

God-King Dean

Immortal
Hindyscrack said:
Johns is probably one of the greats to play the game... on the other hand Gasnier is not in that class... enough reason for me for the NRL to get involved with Joey

I'd be willign to debate that

But even if he weren't, that's not the point. The point is if Andrew Johns & Newcastle are allowed special priviledges, why does the rest of the league have to abide by the rules.

Iafeta

Referee
Rules have to be clear, coherent and consistent across the board. If the NRL assisted the Knights in retaining Andrew Johns to the NRL, then they must be consistent and attempt to retain Mark Gasnier.

That said, we all know whether they'll show consistency... buzzzz, no they won't.

Hindyscrack

Bench
drake said:
OK, so you don't mind if Yawnion steal Hindy or Tim Smith then?

Of course i would, but they are not in the league of Joey...

To my knowledge the main thing the NRL did was say, if your turn your back on us look at what you will be missing out on post football (mainly ch 9)

Jimbo

Immortal
Messiah said:
Doust has approached David Gallop about this possble problem

How is it a problem?

No player is bigger than the game, Gasnier and Johns included

innsaneink

Referee
Messiah said:
I'd be willign to debate that

But even if he weren't, that's not the point. The point is if Andrew Johns & Newcastle are allowed special priviledges, why does the rest of the league have to abide by the rules.

Not bein smart here, my memory really does suck, thanks Tooheys.... I vaguely recall the Johns charade....what exactly did the NRL do to assist the Knights/Johns, these special priviliges?

God-King Dean

Immortal
innsaneink said:
Not bein smart here, my memory really does suck, thanks Tooheys.... I vaguely recall the Johns charade....what exactly did the NRL do to assist the Knights/Johns, these special priviliges?

Admittedly I don't know a great deal.

All I know is they helped out big time, special deals with Channel 9 including $ & future job (I pretty sure they garanteed him a 10 year contract with them), & other things which I cannot remember.

The way I see it, the NRL helped Joey & Newcastle the way which NZ have been deducted points.

gaterooze

Bench
Johns was already going to be contracted by Ch9, there was nothing new about that. He'd already done plenty of commentary work for them previously.

Union are embarrassingly desperate to get the public to give a sh*t about their code. The Sailor/Rogers/Tuqiri thing worked for a while, but people no longer care. Paying Gasnier that much will just make them seem more of a pathetic joke of a sport.