What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gasnier/Union: Possible 780K deal

Nook

Bench
The NRL has to draw the line, and to be honest, should have done that with Johns. He's not bigger than the game and was an injured old hack when his manager and the NSWRU were in talks.

I think thats bullsh*t Thomas.

Joey going to RU would have been a massive propaganda victory for RU - the single biggest cross-code event since 1908.

Blokes like Sailor, Gasnier, Rogers etc are neither here nor there. Good players all but not all time greats.

Johns, on the other hand, is already considered by many to be one of the finest RL players ever to lace up a boot. You don't let those kind of guys go without a fight.

Pierced Soul

First Grade
Johns is and will go down as one of the ebst players of all time. He has done a lot for rugby league and is a marquee player for league. Gasnier, whislt good and has potential has not proven himself consistently over time. (he's played 20+ games a season only twice) and has spent the past few years whinging about going to wigan or to union.

the loss of gasnier will be a blow but not a major to league. why?

Cooper
King
Hodges
Tate
Whatuira
Inglis
Tonga
Bell
B. Smith
Cross
Vagana
Solioloa

and probably plenty of other good centres around, who you may argue arnt as good as gasnier, but gasnier isnt irreplaceable.

I'd love him to stay, but if he wants to go I wont miss him as another talented centre will step up in his place

innsaneink

Referee
Nook said:

Joey going to RU would have been a massive propaganda victory for RU - the single biggest cross-code event since 1908.

Blokes like Sailor, Gasnier, Rogers etc are neither here nor there. Good players all but not all time greats.

Johns, on the other hand, is already considered by many to be one of the finest RL players ever to lace up a boot. You don't let those kind of guys go without a fight.

You dont think the name Gasnier....nephew of one of our immortals, wouldnt be a moral victory for them?

simon says

First Grade
I for one wouldnt mind watching the Waratahs backline with Rogers/Gasnier/Toquiri/Sailor.

Hurts Saints and gives the Tahs one hell of a backline.....

Sea_Eagles_Rock

First Grade
OK lets compare the son of sludge going to Union to the nephew of Gasnier... See the point. As far as I am concerned it's just as bad as the other.

Now just before I make my next point I want to point out I'm a life long blues fan... But Lote, Sailor and Rogers were let go as QLD reps. To keep Johns and Gasnier would be pretty unfair. Johns is a different can of worms to Gas and furthermore I did not think the NRL should of helped broker the Johns deal anyway. It's caused the exact situation everyone expected it would. And until the situation is solved it's going to keep happening.

Thomas

First Grade
Nook said:

Yeah but the Johns scenario could have ended up like Farrell did in England with him being so injury ridden that he barely plays a game....it could have gone both ways.

As a RU fan I didn't want to see Johns play RU because it denies talent coming through in the junior RU ranks.

He was too far past his prime, in my opinion.

sooperdooper

First Grade
lets be honest, Gaz will most likely chase the $$$
his manager is making good in roads about it.
if St George can find out now what the cap will rise to they can give him that $$$. But in saying that he is sneaky, he told all his team mates paycuts were needed for them to stay together, alot did that. Now he is on the verge of getting more $$ if the cap rises whilst the others resigned for cheaper :)
if that makes sense...

all i can say is 780 000 is hell of alot of money

Catatonic_Omnivore said:
Gaz would be crazy to pass up that kind of money. He's only 24, give it a go for 2-3 years and so things pan out.

It would be interesting how STG plans to counter the offer. Even more interesting if Gaz decides to stay. Not sure what he is on now but I suspect whats on offer is at least double.

I didn't agree when the NRL stepped in for Joey and I don't think they should intervene when it comes to any player.

St George are a very smart football club and will offer him what they can afford which will no doubt be a very lucrative 300k to 350k deal.

Whatever happened to Mr Gasnier asking players to take a pay cut to stay together?

As I said his a dirtbag who said that so when his contract come up he could bleed the club dry thanks to the sacrifices of his team mates, similar to Barrett at his last contract. - Only Barrett as bigger flea as he was didnt have the gal to say the same thing.

A offer from union may be there but anyone that believes this 780k offer better keep an eye out for Santa this XMAS, as thats what it is not real.

Nook

Bench
You dont think the name Gasnier....nephew of one of our immortals, wouldnt be a moral victory for them?

No.

It would be handy and a victory of sorts but not a massive one. Lets face it, Gasnier has already gone to lengths to tarnish his god name with his moronic behaviour. I think more people when the hear 'Gasnier' in RU will be inclined to think of "fire up bitch" rather than of Reg.

Thomas,

RU signing Johns would have been the biggest possible propaganda victory for that code.

Signing these other blokes is a different matter. It helps getting people interested - hell, even I'd take an interest in a Tahs backline of Rogeres-Gasnier-Sailor-Tuqiri. Why? Because its an RL backline. If thats what RU has to stoop to to get people to watch it in this country then so be it, but its more counterproductive than positive in my opinion.

Bench
You make many good points over a numder of posts Sea Eagles Rock,no the league should not help one player or club and not another.
Attacking the likes of Giteau with the aid of the league would show those union bosses we are not gonna roll over and let them pick the eyes out of league, because they can't find enough talent in how many countries is it they keeep telling play this stupid game.That just makes a mockery out of the league only has 3 nations who play league professionly statment the keep trotting out.

innsaneink said:

In no way shape or form would it be on the same level of Joey. In fact I bet that 8/10 league fans wouldnt particularly care of this whinger took his bag and left.

Bench
You make many good points over a numder of posts Sea Eagles Rock,no the league should not help one player or club and not another.
Attacking the likes of Giteau with the aid of the league would show those union bosses we are not gonna roll over and let them pick the eyes out of league, because they can't find enough talent in how many countries is it they keep telling us play this stupid game.That just makes a mockery out of the league only has 3 nations who play league professionly statment the keep trotting out,why then can't they breed their own talent?:x

Mr Saab

Referee
simon says said:
I for one wouldnt mind watching the Waratahs backline with Rogers/Gasnier/Toquiri/Sailor.

Hurts Saints and gives the Tahs one hell of a backline.....

that would be great to see in action.
They would be almost certainties to win the super14 in 2007 with that backline.

Steelers4eva

Juniors
My personal opinion is that I have had enough of these clowns (and Baz is getting the same way) every time his contract comes up his manager parades him around to every sporting body who'll listen. They drag our club and our game through the wringer every 2 or 3 years and cause nothing but division and disruption. FFS, chose one or the other, and get on with the job your getting paid to do this year. If they stay, well and good, they will have shown loyalty to a game and club that has been very good to them.
If not I hope its not a windy day outside because the tickets they have on themselves might blow off.

Mr Saab

Referee
Lockyer isnt going anywhere and has not indicated he wants to go to union.
Gasnier is umming and arrring.

HoLLuS

Juniors
How can Gasnier be the best centre in the league if he can't tackle?...I thought rugby league involved both attack AND defence.

Mr Saab said:
Lockyer isnt going anywhere and has not indicated he wants to go to union.
Gasnier is umming and arrring.

Just stirring ya buddy, I may not think much of Lockyer but no one can doubt his a true clubman which is rare these days.

Calixte

First Grade
Thomas said:
Yeah but the Johns scenario could have ended up like Farrell did in England with him being so injury ridden that he barely plays a game....it could have gone both ways.

As a RU fan I didn't want to see Johns play RU because it denies talent coming through in the junior RU ranks.

He was too far past his prime, in my opinion.

Good one Thomas.

"It denies the young talent coming through"? Please...

Considering every union hack states that there has been no decent no. 10 at the Waratahs since Ella (ie. early 80s), the last twenty years have been pretty barren. :lol: