What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB rake up record score against France!!!

St.John

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Cheers for that guys.

I must say that when I first saw the score I was a little disappointed, but when I thought about it I realised it was acceptable.

You're right, it looks more than a little unflattering, but the French were better than it suggests.

I really enjoyed the game - there was some lovely and varied attacking play from both sides, but the Lions just had a little more in the tank and were better drilled in defence from what I saw.

12K is a good crowd too IMO.

I think so too, especially with the foul weather we've been having in england recently - and the fact that everyone knew they two sides were far from full strength.

I enjoyed it a lot - I remember thinking "this is the way RL is meant to be played". The ball was zinging around through hands, and there was no lack of ambition in attack, backed up with some wonderful offloading play.

AlbertRosenfeld

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
Cheers for that guys.

I must say that when I first saw the score I was a little disappointed, but when I thought about it I realised it was acceptable.

12K is a good crowd too IMO.

One question though, how much longer is Fakir out for? It seems like 12 months since his name has been mentioned.

Fakir is out for the season.

However the fact that the second injury was different, but in the same knee, raises real questions about his future in the game. Pity since he adds a lot to the French attack and defence (he is an awesome crash tackler). Fakir, Raguin and Fellous would have made a big difference to that game. But at least we discovered a "new" forward talent in 29 year old Eric Anselme from St. Gaudens.

nadera78

Juniors
The problem with the semi-pro players, mostly in the backs, was that they were smaller and lighter than their oponents, which means the defensive work takes a toll over the course of a game. Which of course leads to tiredness and more opportunities for the other team.

Eric Anselme did play quite well, but at his age he's not going to get a pro contract and he isn't going to improve too much. Another example of why we need the Cats so that these players can be picked up at a young age and given the chance to fulfill their potential.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
AlbertRosenfeld said:
Fakir is out for the season.

However the fact that the second injury was different, but in the same knee, raises real questions about his future in the game. Pity since he adds a lot to the French attack and defence (he is an awesome crash tackler).

That would be very, very disappointing. He is only 22 or 23 I think, and that would be a real shame for the French game. He is a bloke that could develop a real cult following with his style of play and help to lift the profile of the game. I hope he can get through it.

obelix

Juniors
S.S.T.I.D said:
That would be very, very disappointing. He is only 22 or 23 I think, and that would be a real shame for the French game. He is a bloke that could develop a real cult following with his style of play and help to lift the profile of the game. I hope he can get through it.

Read an interview in the French press via another forum where he suggests he'll be back before the end of the season.

In an interview with Rugby League World a few months ago he said he'd look at playing union in a few years if the chance came up - though to be fair he didn't seem to have his mind made up either way.

winnyason

Juniors
from your reports guys, seems that there is a bright future for the french.
The key is that toulouse need to get into superleague, as you won't see players filter through like the kiwis do because of the language barrier & lifestyle.
I won't make no apologies celtic are no where near ready there crowds are just below the 1 thousand mark, & are already full of aussies, and there seems a uncertainty if they don't reach nl1 next year about there existance.
facts are it would be a bigger positive for the superleague if toulouse are in crowds average just below 2 thousand, big local content in team, huge potential growth in crowds,
biggest growing city in france. also the postives of test footy, france would have around
20 guys in pro level footy & a handful at other englsh superleague clubs.

Onto the test team, a good effort led early then just went to sleep in that all important period just after halftime by all accounts.
all couple of things to note:
there was no raguin, fellous, fakir or duport who impressed earlier in season.
no doubt the young half at utc, cannot recall his name is a shoe in for 7 by 2008 world cup.
James roby showed what ever one has been saying a test match star please smith piss off
newton a farce.
by world cup france could just make people believe they can make the final, if injuries & player development keeps going.

obelix

Juniors
winnyason said:
from your reports guys, seems that there is a bright future for the french.
The key is that toulouse need to get into superleague, as you won't see players filter through like the kiwis do because of the language barrier & lifestyle.

Agree that you won't see as many French players coming over as Kiwis but there's a healthy number who have gone from France to England. Off the top of my head over the last few years and currently I can think of Seb Martins and Damien Couturier (Leigh), Julien Rinaldi (Quins), Jerome Guisset (formerly at Wigan etc) and Freddie Zitter's had various clubs in England, along with Greseque's trying out for Wakefield. I'm sure there are and have been others.

Those who want to test themselves will find their way over.

obelix said:
Agree that you won't see as many French players coming over as Kiwis but there's a healthy number who have gone from France to England. Off the top of my head over the last few years and currently I can think of Seb Martins and Damien Couturier (Leigh), Julien Rinaldi (Quins), Jerome Guisset (formerly at Wigan etc) and Freddie Zitter's had various clubs in England, along with Greseque's trying out for Wakefield. I'm sure there are and have been others.

Those who want to test themselves will find their way over.

The effect of the Catalans should be that as they bring talent into Super League, eventually they are not going to be able to hold onto everyone and players will move around. This will cause them to bring younger french players through - increasing the player pool for the French.

Also by showing SL clubs that french players are of a good standard, they might be more inclined to scout around the Elite 1 clubs.