What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GB

vbfg

Juniors
griff said:
England's anthem is Land of Hope and Glory. Not sure if it has any official status.

Brian Carney does always looks a bit embarrassed and like he doesn't want to be there during God Save the Queen.

I always sit down for it so I'm not surprised it annoys him. The trick to avoiding vomitting is to sing God Save the Team.

Bob8

Juniors
disco1 said:
Harris is 100% Welsh. There is no doubting that he is of Welsh descent. He has always represented Wales at all levels and codes.

We're of entirely Homo erectus descent, we're still Homo sapian though. Harris is English with some Welsh roots.

disco1

Juniors
Bob8 said:
disco1 said:
Harris is 100% Welsh. There is no doubting that he is of Welsh descent. He has always represented Wales at all levels and codes.

We're of entirely Homo erectus descent, we're still Homo sapian though. Harris is English with some Welsh roots.

You go tell him he's English and see how many teeth you walk away with!

tex

Juniors
If the guy has a problem with the English national anthem then that's his pathetic problem. If he wants to represent Wales on the basis of his heritage, fine, but he should be proud of his English roots also. Where does he think Oldham is? You know, the town where he learnt his skills. What was the system that honed his skills to help make him an international player? The English system. Were his junior coaches who put hours of their free time into coaching him Welsh? No, they were English. Harris can be rightly proud of his Welsh heritage but he should also be proud to have been born and lived the vast majority of his life in England. International sport should be about which countries can produce the best players, and England produced Iestyn Harris.

Kurt Angle

First Grade
I don't think Harris has a problem singing God save the Queen.

It's the British national anthem, and even if Welsh, that qualifies him as British.

Wales is no longer a country anyway, it's a principality.

Ireland on the other hand is not British.

Charge

Juniors
Kurt Angle said:

It's the British national anthem, and even if Welsh, that qualifies him as British.

England isn't a country either. The only 2 official countries making up the British Isles are:

1 ) The United Kingdom Of Great Britian and Northen Ireland.
2 ) The Republic of Ireland.

disco1

Juniors
Harris has never sung the national anthem of Wales or UK, he just likes to focus on the game ahead, I don't see any problems with that. He does get emotional over the anthems but just don't sing.

vbfg

Juniors
Charge said:
Kurt Angle said:

England isn't a country either. The only 2 official countries making up the British Isles are:

1 ) The United Kingdom Of Great Britian and Northen Ireland.
2 ) The Republic of Ireland.

England is a country, as is Scotland. The things you just mentioned are nation states, commonly called countries and correctly so. Country can refer to boundaries drawn on geographical, political, feudal (in Europe at least) or even racial lines. The distinction is more blurred in the UK than probably anywhere else, but the component parts, with the exception of Northern Ireland, are all countries. Calling Wales a principality is a throwback to medeival terms of subjugation. It's a country.

Latest posts