What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

You're assuming this article is 100% correct. At the end of the day we never know all the facts.

Obviously.

That’s not to say I know it’s correct, but my response to the article was *if* it’s correct.

But my first comment about Moylan has been thoroughly proven to be correct. He never had the temperament to be captain.

Blues Riff

Bench
Gus never said that Moylan's issues were mental health related. He WAS offered counselling, but the actual problem was never specified. The club respected Matt's privacy at the time and Matt certainly didn't want to discuss it publicly. He still doesn't.

franklin2323

Immortal
I think Moylans issues were just personal issues with the coach. Look at all the players who shafted by hook, Moylan, Carty, Seggy, Latu.....anyone with a bit of creativity or flair wasn't wanted. Peach is the only one who survived and his utility value is probably the reason for that.

The back half of 2016 when Moylan was carving teams up, that wasn't hooks plan. That was Moylan throwing the plan out the window and just playing footy which a daresay didn't go down well with hook. I think the issues between them would've started with a difference of opinion on how they should be playing and just got worse from there. There was talk of a half time blow up at some point in 2016.

The mental health stuff seems like a cover, it gets used so much in RL now because its taboo, everytime someone f**ks up it turns out they are dealing with mental health issues, its a copout and its embarrassing for people who have had experience with mental health issues. I f**king hate seeing clubs roll it out as an excuse for bad behaviour.

They never said it was mental just said personal issues. Could be anything with something so vague.

Gus said Griffin was on notice. Why then would he take the coaches said over a senior player? So there is more to it

martielang

Bench
Interesting article by Andrew Webster... things in it for the pro-Moylan fan boys as well as the pro-GriffinGod fan boys...

The fallout that's firing Matt Moylan

Moyza is one of the boys. That’s why it hurt so much in April last year when he suspected some of his Penrith teammates notified coach Anthony Griffin he’d gone for a few sneaky beers when told not to after the 28-6 loss to the Storm in Melbourne.

Moylan, along with Waqa Blake and Peta Hiku, were subsequently dumped to NSW Cup.

He was also slammed by Griffin and general manager Phil Gould because those extra Golden Gatorades had followed a defeat in which Moylan’s defence had been half-hearted and he was all over the place in attack.

It was the beginning of the end between Moylan and Griffin and the club, ultimately leading to his off-season departure to Cronulla.

It’s easier to forgive an enemy than to forgive a friend. Even less so if it’s a teammate.

Whether it was warranted or not, it was the poison that divided the Penrith squad last season. It didn't help that many were losing faith in the coach at the same time. Is it any coincidence Tyrone Peachey wants to backflip on his Titans deal just weeks after Griffin has been sacked?

It was Griffin’s decision last year to make Moylan captain instead of Peter Wallace — not Gould's.

Anybody who knew Moylan knew it was a mistake. Moylan is barely an enthusiastic talker in social circles, let alone in the dressing-room, let alone in a media conference, let alone a corporate function.

He’s a throwback to a simpler time when players chugged down a few mid-week schooners and chained ciggies in the poker machine room at the Leagues Club, as Moylan was often seen doing.

Griffin felt betrayed when Moylan wanted out after he was stood down for the finals because of mental issues Moylan believed he never had. Ths coach reckoned he’d stood by him more than anyone else at the club.

What was conveniently forgotten was that Griffin would single out and direct his anger at Moylan at halftime and after matches because he was the captain, something he never wanted to be. He'd told Griffin he didn't want to be captain but he made him captain anyway.

That is absolute madness.

Then, after we were all told in November last year there would be no swap between Moylan and Sharks five-eighth James Maloney, there was a swap between Moylan and Maloney.

Moylan’s preference had been to head to Manly and play under former Penrith assistant coach Trent Barrett.

Penrith were reluctant to sign Maloney for precisely the same reason he’d fallen out with Sharks coach Shane Flanagan: he’s a headstrong little bugger who is more than prepared to question and argue.

Having been part of two premierships at two clubs, he might be worth listening to.

When Cronulla made the first approach, Penrith were cool on the idea. Problematic to the situation was that Gould doesn’t have a particularly high opinion of Flanagan.

But business is business and it’s all worked out in the end.

Some believe Friday night’s semi-final between the two teams at Allianz Stadium will decide which of them got the better deal from the swap.

How ridiculous. Both teams have benefited.

Maloney has fired at the Panthers and was arguably NSW’s most influential player in their Origin series win.

As for Moyza, he’s playing in his preferred position of five-eighth instead of fullback, seemingly loving life, playing footy and just being one of the boys again.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
So we played Cartwright, someone who didn't want to play 6, at 6 and Moylan, someone who didn't want to be fullback but wanted to be 6, at fullback, and then lost both of them at the end of the season anyway.

Just Panther things.

mxlegend99

Referee
So we played Cartwright, someone who didn't want to play 6, at 6 and Moylan, someone who didn't want to be fullback but wanted to be 6, at fullback, and then lost both of them at the end of the season anyway.

Just Panther things.
Dwz wanted to play fullback
Moylan wanted to play 6
Carty wanted to play lock/second row

Absolutely sucks we never saw DWZ at fullback running off Moyza and Carty. Thankfully Maloney has been mostly good..although he doesnt seem to link with our second rowers. Get him backing up Kikau... imagine if Kiks has Blake outside him and DWZ inside him to offload to.

Black Diamond

Juniors
One thing is for sure....by season's end there will be 14 other fan bases that have felt as crap as we do today. Heads up Panther fans.

martielang

Bench
We tried DWZ for a lot of 2016 (?) off season at fullback with Moylan at 6, but he was having massive issues under the high ball so the canned that idea. True story.

Overall it’s hard to deny we copped the worst of the Maloney/Moylan swap in terms of on field performance.

Obviously we made the best of a bad situation by getting Maloney, Moylan wanted out and at that point Gould had to get something for him. But if you could go back and avoid all the Moylan drama we’d be much better off with him as our 5/8 in future years.

I remember some saying Moylan wasn’t a 5/8, has anyone that expressed that view changed their mind?

Kilkenny

Coach
We are 0-3 against the Sharks in 2018 and Matt Moylan has been instrumental in all three of the Sharks victories.

That kinda speaks for itself. He has been for the most part very good for the Sharks and it was never going to be any different once his found his feet and I guess kept on the straight and narrow.

I still don't wish he was at our club. He disrespected it and I am glad he is no longer with us.

Good luck to him even it if would be nice, just once to turn around our fortunes against the Sharks.

unKwn

Juniors
please, if any of you have twitter, roast this fake 'fan'. if you look at his account you'd think gus killed his whole family.

CCJohnC

Juniors
I have thought of it but the thing is the players deserve the support. The moment we have a team of tossers and Gus is still there I am done with spending money at the club til changes get made

If this is the best you can do after 18,000+ comments I almost feel sorry for you.

Latest posts