What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

maple_69

Bench
Who do you guys reckon will take out the Merv Cartwright?

I’m swinging for Fish. If he doesn’t take it I’d say Kik and Fiah to take the John Faragher. No standout for Rookie but I suppose Egan.

PANTHERMIKE

Juniors
Id go with Blake...

He got us rolling at the start of the year with that try against Parra in round one, a defining moment in the season you could even say...

mxlegend99

Referee
I thought Carty was 6 because we had no other fullback optiond in that game.

Cleary was on the bench. The side was topped up with fringe first graders.

Probably one of the few times Carty at 6 was a good option.

franklin2323

Immortal
But I thought the coach wanted Moylan to be fullback...Seems it was Gus. The only other coach he played for wanted him at FB

franklin2323

Immortal
It's weird considering even Griffin admitted it was him and Moylan with the issues.

NRL 360 are woeful. They were never going to go too hard on him but I would had a follow up question. Saying what could he done differently. The Captaincy is the main one the rest seems like it was just no one person in particular

OldPanther

Coach
NRL 360 are woeful. They were never going to go too hard on him but I would had a follow up question. Saying what could he done differently. The Captaincy is the main one the rest seems like it was just no one person in particular

Same. It should have been Wallace with Yeo back up.

age.s

First Grade
From the article Herbert posted.

However, Moylan didn't want their help. Nor did he agree with the club doctor's diagnosis that he was suffering from mental health issues.

Club officials were being blamed externally for using mental health as a cover to disguise the breakdown between coach and captain.

But internally they were adamant he needed help. Moylan didn't think so. However the club refused to let him play, even in a do-or-die finals game, until he got the help he needed.

I find that interesting for two reasons:

1. Some here are adamant that Gus' citing Moylan's mental health issues as the clearest case of the guy being full of shit. Sounds like Gus was being genuine (if incorrect) here.
2. Some here cited Moylan missing the final as evidence that he was flakey and not committed to the club. It sounds like he had issues in that regard, but it doesn't sound like he was given a choice to play against Manly.

BxTom

Bench

betcats

Referee
Not sure if this has been posted anywhere.

This is what I’ve felt all along, Moylan never should have been made captain. Just didn’t have the right temperemt for it.

View attachment 23342

Plus, WTF was Gus thinking?

View attachment 23343

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/09/12/what-caused-split-between-penrith-panthers-and-matt-moylan/

I think Moylans issues were just personal issues with the coach. Look at all the players who shafted by hook, Moylan, Carty, Seggy, Latu.....anyone with a bit of creativity or flair wasn't wanted. Peach is the only one who survived and his utility value is probably the reason for that.

The back half of 2016 when Moylan was carving teams up, that wasn't hooks plan. That was Moylan throwing the plan out the window and just playing footy which a daresay didn't go down well with hook. I think the issues between them would've started with a difference of opinion on how they should be playing and just got worse from there. There was talk of a half time blow up at some point in 2016.

The mental health stuff seems like a cover, it gets used so much in RL now because its taboo, everytime someone f**ks up it turns out they are dealing with mental health issues, its a copout and its embarrassing for people who have had experience with mental health issues. I f**king hate seeing clubs roll it out as an excuse for bad behaviour.

Kilkenny

Coach
I think Moylans issues were just personal issues with the coach. Look at all the players who shafted by hook, Moylan, Carty, Seggy, Latu.....anyone with a bit of creativity or flair wasn't wanted. Peach is the only one who survived and his utility value is probably the reason for that.

The back half of 2016 when Moylan was carving teams up, that wasn't hooks plan. That was Moylan throwing the plan out the window and just playing footy which a daresay didn't go down well with hook. I think the issues between them would've started with a difference of opinion on how they should be playing and just got worse from there. There was talk of a half time blow up at some point in 2016.

The mental health stuff seems like a cover, it gets used so much in RL now because its taboo, everytime someone f**ks up it turns out they are dealing with mental health issues, its a copout and its embarrassing for people who have had experience with mental health issues. I f**king hate seeing clubs roll it out as an excuse for bad behaviour.

I agree, the mental health card is played more often as an excuse.

I'm not sure whether we can blame our former coach for the Moylan, Cartwright and Latu leaving our club.

Latu was a victim of the Moylan/Maloney transfer. In respect of Bryce and Matty Moylan I think we all agree they had to move on and while it has worked out well for Moylan the same cannot be said for Bryce. Bryce has been terrible but I think Matt Moylan has been very good for the Sharks and played a major role in them being where they are now.

Matthew Ellis

Juniors