What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Abacus

Juniors
Before throwing Edwards on the scrap heap, I'd at least get him some 1 on 1 tutelage from someone like a Billy Slater. Really would help fix that whole right side attack up if he can learn to straighten & pass left to right.

Black Diamond

Juniors
Your remark of "where the attack goes to die" is pretty stupid when you consider that Edwards is the fullback who comes into the line to backup other players. The attack generally dies because he is on the end of the line and, usually, there is no-one backing him up. Doesn't take a football genius to figure that out surely!
I agree with Westy, so many times Dyl chimes into the line and props, gets tackled or runs away from the attack and the raid breaks down.

WestyLife

First Grade
Your remark of "where the attack goes to die" is pretty stupid when you consider that Edwards is the fullback who comes into the line to backup other players. The attack generally dies because he is on the end of the line and, usually, there is no-one backing him up. Doesn't take a football genius to figure that out surely!

I trust his support play which is what I assume is what you're talking about. I mean when he pops up in backline plays. Even a basic pass seems difficult for him.

The Realist

Juniors
May remains more useful than Kenny off the bench and his versatility is more useful than a needless fourth forward there. He owns his spot until someone else proves particularly useful or he can’t be relied on defensively or to fill a hole.

I was a May fan and defender in this forum but I am rethinking it. He honestly went backwards this year. I am hoping it is injuries. In 2022 he should improve significantly up to or beyond his 2020 form or he is out.

If it weren’t for Nathan and Jerome being SOO halves I wouldn’t want him at all based on his 2021 form.

Kenny is a good backup #9 but he is not a #14. Most bench hookers offer ‘spark’ out of dummy half and He really doesn’t provide it.

Do we have a talented young hooked waiting in the wings? I’d prefer to start blooding him next year. If Api stays with us it will only be for 3 years and he will be slowing down a little from here on in.

The Realist

Juniors
Regarding Edwards.

He is 100% where the ball goes to die. The amount of times I have seen him hesitate to pass then run infield with an overlap makes my blood boil. When he does try to pass he usually f**ks it. He completely kills our right hand.

I am willing to give him a chance for 1/2 a season because he was so disrupted in preparation with constant injury. That obviously effects timing and confidence. However it seems play making is just unnatural to him.

I keep seeing his defence being held up to a pinnacle yet he has had some prominent misses. Walker was one.

You could also argue the 2nd South’s try was as a result of him not being in position because for some reason he decided to tackle in the line then play before the spread.

He did make a critical tackle on Murray though.

There is no doubt that he has unbelievable work ethic, guts and will but is it enough for a dynasty fullback? Is he the best fullback for us going forward? That is what I am interested in, not how much of a top bloke he is. The biggest concern for not just me but others is just how prone to injury he is.

I hope he gets his body right, has an extended period of durability and learns through sheer effort the basics of ball playing. If he does that I am happy for him to be our medium/long term fullback.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
I was a May fan and defender in this forum but I am rethinking it. He honestly went backwards this year. I am hoping it is injuries. In 2022 he should improve significantly up to or beyond his 2020 form or he is out.

If it weren’t for Nathan and Jerome being SOO halves I wouldn’t want him at all based on his 2021 form.

Kenny is a good backup #9 but he is not a #14. Most bench hookers offer ‘spark’ out of dummy half and He really doesn’t provide it.

Do we have a talented young hooked waiting in the wings? I’d prefer to start blooding him next year. If Api stays with us it will only be for 3 years and he will be slowing down a little from here on in.

May should be f**ked off asap. That instagram post tells you exactly what type of shithead he is. “Oh, sure, I filmed women without their consent having sex with me and gave it to my mates. But people thought I was a merkin, so I’m the real victim here. But suck on it because I dropped a ball cold in a grand final that the rest of my team won for me.”

The fact that he has other Panthers liking and sharing that post is just depressing.

May should be f**ked off asap. That instagram post tells you exactly what type of shithead he is. “Oh, sure, I filmed women without their consent having sex with me and gave it to my mates. But people thought I was a merkin, so I’m the real victim here. But suck on it because I dropped a ball cold in a grand final that the rest of my team won for me.”

The fact that he has other Panthers liking and sharing that post is just depressing.
100%; really disappointing from May. The other boys should know better as well.

billypilgrimnz

First Grade
It was not smart of May but I understand his teammates liking his post. Not liking is like leaving your teammate out to dry.
Im going to assume for my own sanity that at least some of them took it to mean critics of the Panthers throwing dirt about arrogance, choking, etc.

I prefer the 1991 and 2003 teams anyway.

chrisD

Coach
Regarding Edwards.
Is he the best fullback for us going forward? That is what I am interested in
Well you're in luck, you can just go back and watch our loss to Souths to get a feel for what our alternatives, Staines in first grade, Crichton at fullback, looks like. And then you can compare that result to what happened subsequently when Edwards returned.

Reality has proven a not training broken footed Edwards is better than either of our alternatives.

martielang

Bench
Hate being that guy after winning the f**king comp but Dyl killed a heap of backline moves last night. He doesn't trust himself to pass.

Critter is also a million times better on the right and has to play there if he's not playing fullback

I noticed Critta stands far too wide on plays and neither edwards or Momo were ever going to reach him with the ball considering their sub par left to right passing.

Agree I’d have Crichton at right centre and your man Momo at left centre.

Well you're in luck, you can just go back and watch our loss to Souths to get a feel for what our alternatives, Staines in first grade, Crichton at fullback, looks like. And then you can compare that result to what happened subsequently when Edwards returned.

Reality has proven a not training broken footed Edwards is better than either of our alternatives.
I am a Dyl fan but that is such a BS comparison; we didn't lose that Souths game because of Critta at fullback or even Staines on the wing. The difference between the first week and last week of the finals were our forwards got on top in the last week and our kicking game was better.

I noticed Critta stands far too wide on plays and neither edwards or Momo were ever going to reach him with the ball considering their sub par left to right passing.

Agree I’d have Crichton at right centre and your man Momo at left centre.
Is Momo a right to left passer?

chrisD

Coach
I am a Dyl fan but that is such a BS comparison; we didn't lose that Souths game because of Critta at fullback or even Staines on the wing. The difference between the first week and last week of the finals were our forwards got on top in the last week and our kicking game was better.
Staines let one of the two the tries in because his defence isn't up to par and no-one was there to back Yeo up because Crichton doesn't have the instincts, even though he was in position behind the ruck on the play the ball. That's the game right there, and like it's just some big f**king inexplicable coincidence our ruck momentum disappears when Edwards doesn't play and returns instantly with him.

murraymob

Coach
Not but I could have sworn we won the comp
Get that up ya .dont change what is not broken .a twist here a twist there.i see us starting slow into the season with injuries meaning no off season training for a few