What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Smug Panther

First Grade
I still want to see him be injury free for an extended period to judge. The back end of 2019 he was starting to come along but really had a series of annoying niggling injuries since.

Cricton made Mansour look like a star last year. Him and To'o will be huge together
I don't want Momo in the side but can he play left? Critter's flick pass on the right is magnificent

Iamback

Coach
Before throwing Edwards on the scrap heap, I'd at least get him some 1 on 1 tutelage from someone like a Billy Slater. Really would help fix that whole right side attack up if he can learn to straighten & pass left to right.

Just get him fit. He has had a few decent little touches on the right. Not sure we find replacements for Burton, Capewell and possibly Kiks if we then need to find another centre especially at $350k Edwards is on

Iamback

Coach
I don't want Momo in the side but can he play left? Critter's flick pass on the right is magnificent

Depends if he can pass better or not. To'o needs ball long term Jenkins is the one. He plays left and right side wing and centre and crazy fast but hard to say how long to get those guys up to pace.

I don't rate Martin as an edge too but he will replace Capewell. Momo in especially with no Cleary for about a month to start the year

Smug Panther

First Grade
Depends if he can pass better or not. To'o needs ball long term Jenkins is the one. He plays left and right side wing and centre and crazy fast but hard to say how long to get those guys up to pace.

I don't rate Martin as an edge too but he will replace Capewell. Momo in especially with no Cleary for about a month to start the year
He can't possibly pass worse? Momo has a crack in defence and runs well enough but f**k me he can't set up his winger

roofromoz

First Grade
I was a May fan and defender in this forum but I am rethinking it. He honestly went backwards this year. I am hoping it is injuries. In 2022 he should improve significantly up to or beyond his 2020 form or he is out.

If it weren’t for Nathan and Jerome being SOO halves I wouldn’t want him at all based on his 2021 form.

Kenny is a good backup #9 but he is not a #14. Most bench hookers offer ‘spark’ out of dummy half and He really doesn’t provide it.

Do we have a talented young hooked waiting in the wings? I’d prefer to start blooding him next year. If Api stays with us it will only be for 3 years and he will be slowing down a little from here on in.

Is it Brendan Hands who's next in line?

Iamback

Coach
He can't possibly pass worse? Momo has a crack in defence and runs well enough but f**k me he can't set up his winger

Which is why keep him on the right and can put rookie wingers outside him to get to speed. Let To'o get some ball off Crichton until we do the shuffle to get ready for the finals

The Realist

Juniors
Surely Tago gets a centre spot? The dude is a freak. If not I am not sure what other place is there for him. He is IMO too small to be an NRL backrower. If he could ball play from dummy half he might end up being a perfect #14, but we have Ivan's adopted son for that role next year.

Iamback

Coach
Is it Brendan Hands who's next in line?
Ryley Smith is in Development Squad just need him to go all in on RL.

Ideally Kenny will add something to his game to make him a viable option at 14. It is why May gets the start in the 17.

Would love some genuine competition for him

Smug Panther

First Grade
Surely Tago gets a centre spot? The dude is a freak. If not I am not sure what other place is there for him. He is IMO too small to be an NRL backrower. If he could ball play from dummy half he might end up being a perfect #14, but we have Ivan's adopted son for that role next year.
At least 1 year at centre for me

Smug Panther

First Grade
Ryley Smith is in Development Squad just need him to go all in on RL.

Ideally Kenny will add something to his game to make him a viable option at 14. It is why May gets the start in the 17.

Would love some genuine competition for him
We wasted 2021 in terms for blooding players. We were that strong we could have easily rotated young blokes in 14 spot

Iamback

Coach

Last year he was prop in Ball. Was Ball age this year in a foreign position not sure he starts the year in the top 13. He'd be a great bench guy to give Kiks or Martin a stint until he develops into a starter

Iamback

Coach
We wasted 2021 in terms for blooding players. We were that strong we could have easily rotated young blokes in 14 spot

That is Ivan for you. We all know May will be 7 to start the year. Falls should be 5-6 games into the team now.
Tago should of started 1 or 2 as well. Going to be a catch up season next for the fringe guys

Iamback

Coach
Depending on an ETA for Cleary. I'd expect this side to start

Edwards
Staines/May
Momo
Crichton
To'o
Luai
Cleary
Leota
Api
Fish
Kiks
Martin
Yeo

May
Sorensen
Leinu
Tago/Hopgood

Decent enough will tear through the most sides but needs more spark for the good sides. Hopefully the Summer Comp happens and some rookies can be fast tracked

mxlegend99

Referee
I cant decide who has a worse passing game out of Momirovski and Edwards. They both kill backline plays on the right edge more often than not. For former halves it's mind boggling how bad they are at creating space and passing.

Maybe he just cant pass to his right. On the left maybe he would actually setup his winger. With Burton gone it's worth a shot. Seems many players are weaker passing right so perhaps simply changing to left side fixes the biggest flaw in his game.

Girds89

Bench
The idea people want to move on dylan or think adapting and evolving means he needs to go just seems so crazy to me.

The guy was legit our best player in the finals on one leg. The only game he didnt play we lost.... and contrary to what was being said on here about him he was actually really good for the back half of the year and had a number of mom performances.

Yes he has his limitations in terms of passing.

I think theres some pretty easy and clear ways around that.

Right now luai is solely a left side player. Nath plays both sides of the ruck but generally, when nath does go left we are already on the left side of the field (sticks) and nath plays the link man to luai instead of yeo.

This normally only happens when we are in the attacking 10 to 20m zone. Otherwise nath stays on the right. We do this in the red zone because nath is quicker than yeo, has a good running game and defenders can ball watch him and he holds up the defence line more which creates more space for, luai kiks burts too.

When we swing right in attack, especially in the red zone, luai generally doesnt get involved.

It will go api to yeo to cleary to edwards. With edwards playing the final pass role on the right that luai does on the left.

I think a simple fix is just giving luai more of a licence to get involved all over. Especially in the middle of the field around tired props in the red zone.

Id keep things the same when we shift the ball left. But when we swing it right id be getting yeo into 1st reciever, passing to luai who passes to nath who is the final pass guy on the right.

To break it down-
Say api gets it 5m in from touch on the attacking 10m line.
15m pass to yeo. Who can straighten and run or ball play to forward short inside or out. Otherwise he passes the sweep pass out the back to luai whod roughly be centre field.

Luai is than in the best position for him. Middle of the field, most tired forwards and the slowest players and he has the best running game of our players. Here he has the choice to play straight and run at tired big guys. Or he can drift across field like nath does looking to hit someone like martin in a hole.

If martins not on. Luai passes to nath who is the final link man on the right instead of edwards.

At this point nath can either run... or pass to a running fb in edwards on the inside or the centre winger outside him. (Which is essentially what luai does and how its structured for him on the left).

Essentially its just shifting luai into the attack on right in the middle and taking edwards out as a ball player and leaving it to nath whod just be a tad wider and is the best decision maker.

Edwards than can just focus on his strong running game and backing up forwards for offloads etc.

When we are centre field theres no need to change to much. If we go right, api to yeo to nath is about as much space as you have anyway and edwards doesnt generally ball play in those positions as naths the final link man anyway.

Its just the big sweep plays left to right in the red zone where edwards gets caught out a bit cause he gets it with time and space and hes not the best at picking the right option.

Push luai into the link play and it solves that and adds the benefit of hsving our most dangerous runner going at tired props.

Munky

Coach
I cant decide who has a worse passing game out of Momirovski and Edwards. They both kill backline plays on the right edge more often than not. For former halves it's mind boggling how bad they are at creating space and passing.

Maybe he just cant pass to his right. On the left maybe he would actually setup his winger. With Burton gone it's worth a shot. Seems many players are weaker passing right so perhaps simply changing to left side fixes the biggest flaw in his game.

Luai can't pass left to right either.

Some of his attempts when Nathan was out made Momo and Edwards attempts during the season look like Jamie Soward.

The one to Momo on Sunday night was awful as well (Momo should have done better but was a shocker).

I really hope this is looked at in the off season.

Sam Walker seems to be the only modern half who can ball play both sides equally well.