What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Discussion Thread

Sime_11

Juniors
Murray Taulagi should ring up Edwards and say have my Kangaroos spot because you deserve it.

wouldn't make the Samoa side with To'o & Suaali but Mal picks him for Qld bias but will use Samoa as a smokescreen to justify.

Edwards easily play wing and will produce better numbers and performance than Taulagi

Goonji

Juniors
Murray Taulagi should ring up Edwards and say have my Kangaroos spot because you deserve it.

wouldn't make the Samoa side with To'o & Suaali but Mal picks him for Qld bias but will use Samoa as a smokescreen to justify.

Edwards easily play wing and will produce better numbers and performance than Taulagi
Honestly, I don't know who this Murray bloke is. I only watch Panther games. The fact that Meninga also said that Cherry Evans is the incumbent half when we haven't played an international for 3 years has seriously dented my interest in watching the series at all.

Whino

Bench

As sick as I’ve seen him’: Inside Cleary’s private health battle to make grand final day​

Adam Pengilly and Michael Chammas

October 3, 2022 — 7.30pm

Two-time premiership-winning coach Ivan Cleary has detailed the mid-season health crisis which left him in intensive care with blood clots on his lungs, enough for his wife Bec to say it was “scary and as sick as I’ve seen him”.

Months after a serious knee infection developed into a condition which required hospitalisation and several games away from active coaching duty, Ivan admitted the situation was “serious” as he slept for hours on end on the family’s couch.

Cleary still carried a limp on grand final day as he walked down to the Accor Stadium sideline minutes before Penrith sealed back-to-back titles against Parramatta.
“He was struggling [this year],” Bec told the Herald. “He could hardly walk. He was very sick. Then he got the blood clots. That was pretty scary. If they hadn’t got that when they did, who knows what would have happened. They got it at a good time, and they looked after him.

“He’s never ever missed a day of coaching, whether he’s sick or not. This year I knew how sick he was because he couldn’t go to work.
“He was just on the lounge all day, asleep on the lounge. He’d come to bed occasionally but [then] go back on the lounge because he couldn’t sleep properly. He was really sick. Sick as I’d ever seen.”

Ironically, Cleary missed his first match this season when the Eels snapped the Panthers’ long winning run at BlueBet Stadium, and then he wasn’t allowed to fly to Brisbane for the Magic Round blockbuster against Melbourne.
He watched over several training sessions while on crutches, but the Panthers largely kept his diagnosis private as assistants Cameron Ciraldo and Andrew Webster stepped up. Ciraldo (Bulldogs) and Webster (Warriors) will leave Penrith to take head coach roles next year.

“It definitely got serious at one point and I had to miss a game because of that and then I couldn’t fly for a couple of weeks,” Ivan Cleary said.
“I’d been coaching for 16 years and hadn’t missed a game and then all of a sudden, I missed three or four. But I was lucky. The boys played well and did their job, but it was a pretty weird time.
“It’s a strange experience watching your team play live on the couch. It’s totally different to normal. What it did give me was a lot of confidence that the leaders had grown.
“When I got the blood clots it was a bit of a scare, but I was in good hands. I had the best nurse in Australia [Bec] looking after me, so I was OK.”

Panthers five-eighth Jarome Luai said the club’s players were aware how grave Ivan’s health situation was during the middle of the year.
“He was in a bit of a dark patch, but he’s a strong dude,” Luai said. “He kept trying to come to games and show that he was alright. We sort of knew he was going to get through it. We kept him in our prayers.
“It just shows the resilience we have in our sport. He led the way and we drew strength from that.”
Cleary has taken the Panthers to three straight grand finals and will bring Ben Gardiner, Michael Maguire’s former assistant at the Tigers, to Penrith next year as he farewells Ciraldo and Webster.

Cleary and son Nathan have both signed mega deals which tie them to the Panthers until the end of 2027.
Asked about his feeling towards Ciraldo and Webster, Cleary said: “So proud. I love them as people first. They’re incredibly good at their jobs and they will make those clubs better immediately. And they’re living their dream. That’s just how it goes.

“I’m fortunate the club’s happy to keep going with me, I’m happy to keep doing it and I feel like I’m still improving and learning all the time. Those guys are both awesome and are totally ready to be head coaches. I can’t thank them enough for what they’ve done. They’re not taking my job so that’s good!”

Pomoz

Bench
I think Martin played himself into the squad the last month. Had a fantastic finals series.
It is hard to measure everything in league. Martin tackles me one on one. Yeo tackles me one on one. Both stop me dead in my tracks and slow the play the ball. One of them leaves me wincing and making a mental note to keep an eye out for him next time I run.

The toughness that Leniu, Leota, JFH and Martin bring to our game is irreplaceable. They bring the steel to the side that saps the energy out of the other team. The Eels fans and commentators were saying "why don't they throw the ball around like they did against the Cowboys, that's how they won". They don't throw it around because players like Martin smash you hard and you have to concentrate on holding on to a) the ball; b) your fillings; c) your bowels and not necessarily in that order.

Martin isn't flashy like Kikau, but he is part of the grit that forms the pearl in the Oyster.

Kilkenny

Coach
It is hard to measure everything in league. Martin tackles me one on one. Yeo tackles me one on one. Both stop me dead in my tracks and slow the play the ball. One of them leaves me wincing and making a mental note to keep an eye out for him next time I run.

The toughness that Leniu, Leota, JFH and Martin bring to our game is irreplaceable. They bring the steel to the side that saps the energy out of the other team. The Eels fans and commentators were saying "why don't they throw the ball around like they did against the Cowboys, that's how they won". They don't throw it around because players like Martin smash you hard and you have to concentrate on holding on to a) the ball; b) your fillings; c) your bowels and not necessarily in that order.

Martin isn't flashy like Kikau, but he is part of the grit that forms the pearl in the Oyster.
Martin was the subject of a bit of stick from our own supporters during this season, I didn’t quite understand it. His finals series performances were outstanding, he is a terrific player.

Kilkenny

Coach
Personally, I thought Dylan Edwards grand final performance sealed his spot in the Kangaroo's squad. I understand the reasoning why he missed selection, but if something unforeseen happens to Tedesco, during the WC the Kangeroos can kiss there chances goodbye because the alternatives just aren’t in the same league as fullbacks and potentially weaken another position as the alternatives are better in there best positions Whether it be Holmes, Latrell or Munster.

Whino

Bench
If you want to be successful you need to do the little things right. On and off the field. I find it disgraceful (if reports are true) that only 3 of the top 30 players at the Dragons bothered to show up to their end of season presentation. Scum like Kent have a go at us over trivial comments but what about the lazy bad attitudes at the Dragons?

Twenty-seven of St George Illawarra's top 30 NRL players missed Tuesday night's end-of-season club presentation, in growing signs of discontent at the joint venture club.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, many of the players were at home and chose not to attend the event, which is a requirement of employment at most clubs in the NRL

Smug Panther

First Grade
If you want to be successful you need to do the little things right. On and off the field. I find it disgraceful (if reports are true) that only 3 of the top 30 players at the Dragons bothered to show up to their end of season presentation.

Twenty-seven of St George Illawarra's top 30 NRL players missed Tuesday night's end-of-season club presentation, in growing signs of discontent at the joint venture club.

According to The Sydney Morning Herald, many of the players were at home and chose not to attend the event, which is a requirement of employment at most clubs in the NRL
The Hook effect

mxlegend99

Referee
If you want to be successful you need to do the little things right. On and off the field. I find it disgraceful (if reports are true) that only 3 of the top 30 players at the Dragons bothered to show up to their end of season presentation. Scum like Kent have a go at us over trivial comments but what about the lazy bad attitudes at the Dragons?

Should have had Paul Vaughan host it. He got a better attendance to his BBQ through COVID lockdowns.

snickers007

Juniors
Speaks volumes of the culture at the Dragons. It's obviously just a job to the players. They have no respect for the club, the jersey, the coaching staff or the fans.

What a mess.

Iamback

Coach
Speaks volumes of the culture at the Dragons. It's obviously just a job to the players. They have no respect for the club, the jersey, the coaching staff or the fans.

What a mess.

Been that way for years, They then hired a coach with Dragons DNA in Mary. Yet they are still here 10 years later

BxTom

Bench
Been that way for years, They then hired a coach with Dragons DNA in Mary. Yet they are still here 10 years later
To give Hook his due, he put a lot of discipline into our boys and I think that is the reason St Merge hired him. Long way to go though...

Iamback

Coach
To give Hook his due, he put a lot of discipline into our boys and I think that is the reason St Merge hired him. Long way to go though...

Yet when he gives guys like Sloan a pasting they hate it, Probably will replace him with another soft ex great like Dean Young

snickers007

Juniors
Dragons players should be thankful that they weren't training all throughout September.
They couldn't wait to book their trips to Bali.

Munky

Coach
Really the fault of the Dragons front office.

What were they thinking not having the end of season function early September?

They should book next year's now for a discount.

Murraymob1

Juniors
I often wonder what Merv Cartwright was thinking in the book bound for glory where he is pictured looking across the ground
The ground had hills and a white railing fence around the ground .Fast forward today 3 grand finals in a row.Club dominance across the grades .New stadium on the cards
His vision that day was a dream he made it a reality

martielang

Bench

Hook will always get pasted on here but he did a good job for us. Certainly toughened us up, got us fit, and brought through the right players at the right time.

If he didn’t jettison Moylan, which in hindsight looks like the right call, many would have a different view of him.

Pomoz

Bench
Hook will always get pasted on here but he did a good job for us. Certainly toughened us up, got us fit, and brought through the right players at the right time.

If he didn’t jettison Moylan, which in hindsight looks like the right call, many would have a different view of him.
Good points and I had no problem with Moylan going. We had similar misgivings about RCG and Blake, but the common theme was they had a poor attitude. They weren't "on the bus".

At least it seems Moylan has finally woken up to himself and started taking training seriously in a bid to prolong his career. RCG has also played well for the Eels, they didn't lose because of his efforts.

Latest posts