What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General Roosters chatter

From the NRL's website -

'It's personal': Tedesco's passion for mental health awareness
Author: Troy Whittaker NRL.com Reporter
Timestamp: Thu 19 Sep 2019, 10:52 AM

With every injury setback, a young James Tedesco's mental wellbeing plummeted lower.

A ruptured ACL on debut for the Wests Tigers in 2012 was followed by a cracked fibula and a fractured kneecap in the next two seasons.

The luckless fullback began to question if he was cut out to play footy for a living.

"There were times where I was pretty low coming back in those years, getting injured and having lots of surgeries," Tedesco, a Ken Stephen Medal nominee, told NRL.com.

"My mental health was probably down so I had people that I used to talk with to help me get through that."

Now the incumbent NSW and Australian custodian, a premiership winner and arguably the world's best player, the Roosters superstar's perseverance has been duly rewarded.

But Tedesco still remembers those dark times, and so he joined Headspace's "headcoach" campaign last year to assist those struggling.

Openly sharing his battles via an initial two-minute video, Tedesco's story has resonated with many.

"It's personal for me … I think promoting [mental health awareness] through my career and my [headcoach] page will help people," he said, adding that he's currently working on another Headspace campaign.

"A lot of kids I run into tell me how much videos I've sent in have helped them. That's really cool."

Tedesco is also a patron for the Sporting Chance Cancer Foundation, an organisation which financially supports mobile aid units that make life easier for children living with cancer in regional areas.

The 26-year-old has donated signed merchandise to be auctioned off for the foundation, attended fundraising events and visited Westmead Hospital to lift the spirits of families affected by the dreaded disease.

"It's something that I've found was important to be involved with as a charity and I really like how well they run the organisation and how well they do to help out families," Tedesco said.

"It is confronting but you go in [to the hospital] with them and they have a smile on their face and are just happy to see me and have people visiting them.

"It definitely puts your life in perspective. I meet kids that are going through cancer at such a young age and they've still got a smile on their face. It's pretty special to see that."

Fame hasn't changed Tedesco, who enjoys returning to his roots in Camden to repay those who contributed to his success.

"I still try to back there to see family, friends and people who helped me as a kid growing up," he said.

"We do have a busy schedule [as NRL players] but there is lots of time with days off and time to get out and help as much as we can."

Tedesco stopped by his alma mater St Gregory's College this year to present jerseys to the school's rugby league team and give a pre-game speech.

It was an experience that showed Tedesco the power in his public profile.

"[When] I come back to my old team or my old school, [I see] how much those kids look up to me," he said.

"I'm just an old boy – that's where I went to school, so I was thinking of coming back and helping out as much as I can.

"I try to be as best a role model as I can off the field."

Tedesco is quietly pleased to have been put forward by the Roosters for the Ken Stephen Medal as a result of his community work.

"To be recognised is pretty humbling. You don't do it for awards but to be nominated for an award like this is pretty special," he said.

The 2019 Ken Stephen Medal is proudly supported by wealth, property and well-being consultancy, One Solutions.

Help is available 24/7 for anyone who has mental health issues by calling Lifeline Australia on 13 11 14

This is the kind of stuff that we should be seeing more about players at all clubs doing.

horrie hastings

First Grade

Wow, that is actual praise from Bob Mc Carthy towards uncle Nick and his running of the Roosters, still though the article shows how much he hates Easts overall, if anyone remembers I think it was in the 1979 pre season he actually trialled for Easts or had a training run and broke down due to injury, he came mighty close to playing for the club he hates.

Wow, that is actual praise from Bob Mc Carthy towards uncle Nick and his running of the Roosters, still though the article shows how much he hates Easts overall, if anyone remembers I think it was in the 1979 pre season he actually trialled for Easts or had a training run and broke down due to injury, he came mighty close to playing for the club he hates.

Which makes the praise all the more impressive

From the Wide World of Sports website -

Roosters hooker Sam Verrills' heartbreaking grand final inspiration
By WWOS staff
3 hours ago

Roosters grand final hooker Sam Verrills will carry a heartbreaking inspiration into Sunday's decider: the memory of his late brother.

Jack Verrills took his own life, aged just 20. He is in Sam's thoughts every game day.

"It was a pretty tough time for my family and I play every game with my brother's initials on my wrist. He's definitely there. Every week you can tell," Sam told Nine's Danny Weidler.

"I miss him every day. So does (the) family."

Sam Verrills was captain of Manly's Harold Matthews under-16s team at the time. Rugby league became his escape - right from the morning after the tragedy.

"Sam just said to us, 'I have to go and play football', and he left that morning to play football," mother Kimberly Verrills said. "Total escape."

Father Mark Verrills added: "It took his mind away from everything."

Jack worked on boats on Sydney Harbour, which was always his dream. He was also a junior rugby league hooker who taught Sam the tricks of the trade.

Jack was a full-throttle player and broke his back at 15, a setback that Sam has previously said sent his brother into a "downward spiral".

Still, Jack's decision to take his own life was incredibly hard to understand and devastated his family.

"In the week leading up to it, I thought, 'Something's wrong here' ... and I was like a deer in the headlights," Mark Verrills said.

"I froze. I didn't know what to do. If I had that week over again, I would do 180 degrees, totally different."

Kimberly Verrills said that she felt proud knowing Sam played football to honour Jack.

"Because every day, he pushes through and achieves what he wants to achieve," she said.

While Jack is always there in spirit, his parents couldn't resist taking part of him along to the Roosters' preliminary final win over Melbourne.

"We've got his ashes at home and we grabbed some of his ashes and took them with us," Kimberly Verrills said.

"Kind of weird for some people to hear that, but we did that. It's nice to do that. (Sam) said it was a bit weird!"

The whole family, including two other brothers - Billy and Oliver - will be thinking of Jack as they watch Sam play the biggest game of his life on Sunday: a grand final against the Canberra Raiders.

"Sam will be thinking about him, definitely," Mark Verrills said.

Kimberly Verrills: "We'll all be thinking about him, wishing that he was with us."

LIFELINE: 131 114

The 2020 NRL round 1 details have come out, with the rest of the draw at 10.00 am on Tuesday. I am somewhat surprised that we meet Penrith out there first up on a Saturday evening. I hope we get our fair share of day games next season, especially the away ones. Anyway, we are the defending premiers (again) after all, so we should be afforded some respect from the NRL and other clubs. I suspect that will be something in relatively short supply this time around unfortunately. Let's see what materialises.

That's a great article about Robbo above Captain. There are a couple of interviews he conducted recently with Macquarie Sports Radio (the Levy and Riddell breakfast show, which finished last Friday) and the 2SM Talkin' Sport program that you can do a Google search on and find.

Separately, it is fantastic news about re-signing Manu and adding Cooper to our coaching staff. Hopefully they will stay for years to come.

I wanted to see what the opinions are of my fellow Roosters supporters in relation to the players who are yet to re-sign and what our relative priorities should be. Obviously, Latrell is a big one to sort out soon. We should find out something this week. We cannot afford to pay overs for him. I am not convinced, based on recent performances, that he is worth $1 million a season. I think the club needs to stick solid at around $750-$800,000. If he can get more elsewhere, and is not considering his prospects with moving elsewhere, then I think we would have to let him part ways. I want him to stay, but the club is bigger than any one player, and we need to be careful and smart about the future (we do not want to get into salary cap trouble like some other clubs have recently). It is looking like he might move to the Bulldogs, but the Tigers and Souths could mount late challenges. I read at least one report suggesting that he wants to be a one club player, so that theory will certainly be put to the test. Interesting times indeed!

The two other players I am interested in is JWH and Jake Friend.

With Jared, I think he wants to stay, and Robbo has re-iterated that recently but, again, money speaks volumes and he is not getting any younger. He might look to get his last big contract and Penrith seem to be front runners at the moment. I can't imagine them just letting Regan Campbell-Gillard go and not having any plans in the wings. Jared has been a wonderful player for our club, and it would be sad to see him go, but the time he spends off the field for disciplinary reasons recently is some cause for concern. Having said that, I don't get the feeling that money is quite as big a factor when it comes to Jared, so that may be telling with regard to keeping him with us.

Finally, Jake versus Sam. Jake is such a loyal servant for our club, but do we keep him at the risk of losing Verrills (which I don't think we can afford to do). I think Jake might be a bit like Aubo. He should stick around for one to two years maximum, with Sam being a symbol of the future. We need to be sure that Sam will be content in continuing to learn and develop and not get itchy feet and want to go.

Thoughts and reactions to the above would be very much welcomed.