What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General World Cup Chat

Big Sam

First Grade
This was the image that Dutch airline KLM tweeted and then deleted after the backlash from a lot of oversensitive Mehicans:

BrUOLy4IMAAM9ye.jpg

Bulldog Force

Referee
:lol:

I've got mates who I've known for 5-6 years that I never even knew were greek coming out of the woodwork at the moment
Yep... you can't get a word out of them when they're losing... suddenly they score on the death and you can't shut them up... needless to say 40 odd minutes later the comments died down :lol:

Danish

Referee
No Karagounis or Samaras - why???

Shame, real shame. But when you consider it was all over with 2 minutes to go against Ivory Coast, it's still a great effort.

Samaris was subbed in the 2nd half so wasn't eligible until the 11 on the field had their shots.

Karagounis I imagine would have taken the 5th shot had it actually got to that.

langpark

First Grade
No Karagounis or Samaras - why???

Shame, real shame. But when you consider it was all over with 2 minutes to go against Ivory Coast, it's still a great effort.

That's the question most people were asking!!

It was very disappointing, but I'm happy overall with our WC campaign, especially the last two matches, where we played great attacking football. And to be fair, Costa Rica at one stage should have gone 2-0 up, Torosidis handballed it in the box. These last few months Mitroglou has been injured at Fulham have really affected him, seems to have lost that killer touch in front of goal...

Anyway, now that Karagounis, Katsouranis and Gekas will retire, it's a very young and good side, I'm very hopeful for the future. Next captain, for me can only be Kone or Torosidis....

Danish

Referee

This is why you need to watch football more frequently than every 4 years.

Is that not the rule? The commentary during the Brazil vs Chile game were quite explicit about it.

The FIFA rule book also seems to agree:

With the exception of the foregoing case, only players who are on the
fi eld of play at the end of the match, which includes extra time where
appropriate, are eligible to take kicks from the penalty mark

Page 54 - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/foo...7_06_2014_new--lawsofthegameweben_neutral.pdf

Samaris was not apart of the 11 men on the field when the full time whistle was blown at the end of extra time. He was not eligible (unless it went past 11 shots, of course)

langpark

First Grade
Is that not the rule? The commentary during the Brazil vs Chile game were quite explicit about it.

The FIFA rule book also seems to agree:

Page 54 - http://www.fifa.com/mm/document/foo...7_06_2014_new--lawsofthegameweben_neutral.pdf

Samaris was not apart of the 11 men on the field when the full time whistle was blown at the end of extra time. He was not eligible (unless it went past 11 shots, of course)
You're talking about Andreas Samaris, he's talking about Giorgos Samaras...

PS: I think when it goes past 11 shots each, players start taking a second shot, I don't think bench players can get involved, no?

Last edited:

Danish

Referee
You're talking about Andreas Samaris, he's talking about Giorgos Samaras...

I misread the name, my mistake then.

I wouldn't really blame the men who stepped up for the shootout for the loss either way. All of greece's penalties were well placed, just one was met with a fantastic save.

If anything the worst of all the shots taken was Costa Rica's 4th. Was an easy save if the keeper had gone the right way (not a lot of power, maybe 1m to the keeper's right, shin height).

Danish

Referee
PS: I think when it goes past 11 shots each, players start taking a second shot, I don't think bench players can get involved, no?

I think thats right actually.

Has a penalty shootout ever gone that far? Can't say I've ever seen it. Would be insane to witness

Danish

Referee
YES! Greek Cup Final in 2009. 4-4 in regular time, then it was won 15-14 on penalties! One of the most extraordinary matches I've ever seen!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wnbLPzbTRBg

Jesus Christ... I'm quite certain I'd die of a heart attack long before someone finally won if ever faced with such a prospect for Everton or the socceroos.

Imagine if the brazil vs chile shoot out got to that length? Wouldn't have been enough ambulances in all of brazil to handle the load at the stadium :lol:

Tommy Smith

Referee
I think thats right actually.

Has a penalty shootout ever gone that far? Can't say I've ever seen it. Would be insane to witness
Also the league one playoff final between Sheffield United vs Huddersfield in 2012 went to the 11th player.

Huddersfield missed their first 3 then scored with their next 8. It ended with Utds goalkeeper skying Utds 11th pen over the bar.

Amazing shootout.