What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Genuine Classic One Hit Wonders

horrie hastings

First Grade
Jigsaw-Sky High.
A huge hit and was used in the soundtrack to The Man From Hong Kong. In Australia the band were known as British Jigsaw to avoid confusion with the local group Jigsaw.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Yep. Her jugs. I was about 16 at the time. Jeezus.

My favourite from way back.

Yes , I was going to mention Leslie’s bouncing boobies, can’t help but notice them ;)

Re Counting The Beat, great song and The Swingers did quite a few songs on the soundtrack for the Australian movie Star Struck but Counting The Beat was their only chart hit but what a beauty it was.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Speaking of Star Struck

I turn this and Counting the Beat up loud when it come up on my ipod at work, actually turn up Baby Its You by Promises up loud too.

horrie hastings

First Grade
Even though he did have another top 30 hit with Horoscope Harpo is only remembered for this song. Frida from ABBA does some of the backing vocals.

Movie Star

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

You’re setting the bar pretty high.... Journey had six US top ten singles, 18 top 40 singles and released seven consecutive multi-platinum albums. They’re pretty much the antithesis of one-hit wonders.

Don’t Stop Believin’ wasn’t even their biggest hit (it only reached #9, Open Arms got to #2)

Last edited:

Life's Good

Coach
You’re setting the bar pretty high.... Journey had six US top ten singles, 18 top 40 singles and released seven consecutive multi-platinum albums. They’re pretty much the antithesis of one-hit wonders.

Don’t Stop Believin’ wasn’t even their biggest hit (it only reached #9, Open Arms got to #2)
I’m with you here. They had some massive hits. Steve Perry had a wonderful voice, well suited to those power ballads.

Last edited:

Parra

Referee

Fair enough.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I think you get that false impression about Journey because Don't Stop Believin' became this huge iTunes hit comparatively recently again and its the one song a younger generation knows, but for those who were around in the early 80s (admittedly also a little before my time) they were actually massive.

Parra

Referee
I think you get that false impression about Journey because Don't Stop Believin' became this huge iTunes hit comparatively recently again and its the one song a younger generation knows, but for those who were around in the early 80s (admittedly also a little before my time) they were actually massive.

I was around and Don't Stop Believing was massive. Journey, not so. At least here. Was also treated as a bit of a joke for some reason, along with massively popular bands like Van Halen

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I was around and Don't Stop Believing was massive. Journey, not so. At least here. Was also treated as a bit of a joke for some reason, along with massively popular bands like Van Halen

Yeah I never remember them being particularly big in NZ either. Obviously huge in the US though.

Don’t Stop Believin’ only reached #100 in Australia, incidentally.

Parra

Referee
I can't really see a correlation with the people singing to this when it blares from a pub jukebox and the people who used to buy singles.

Could just be rose coloured glasses on my behalf as well.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I can't really see a correlation with the people singing to this when it blares from a pub jukebox and the people who used to buy singles.

Could just be rose coloured glasses on my behalf as well.

Blame a good chunk of that on The Sopranos as well as a general obsession with 80s music among people who weren’t actually old enough to be into it at the time (or at least buying music). 80s nostalgia seems to be weirdly big among people in their 30s now who were barely born at the time.

Meanwhile gen X seem to mostly find mainstream 80s music an embarrassment best forgotten and prefer stuff from the 90s or 70s. I can relate too as the 90s was the decade I really got into contemporary music while I tend to look at the 70s as some kind of mythical age for music, cars, fashion etc (I was born in ‘75).