What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geoff Toovey the man to have Dragons breathing fire again

Overseas dragon

Juniors
I said in 2017 i would not attend another game while McGregor was the coach. I was so dissapointted when i broke my word and attended 2 games last year and 1 game this year but i think the only way the Management are going to take notice is we do not attend games.
I think the only coaches available to get us out of this mess are Toovey Griffen. I do not know enough about Holebrook or the Walker brothers to comment.
PS Flannery would be another one but i do not like his methods to get results
J D will do me if hes not a massive upgrade on jetski then my face is orange.

BLM01

First Grade
I wonder who those 14 names were:

-Shaun McRae.
-Brian McLennan.
-Chris Anderson.
-Ivan Henjak.
-Matt Elliot.
-Stuart Raper.
-Rick Stone.
-Jason Taylor.
-Wayne Pierce.
-Neil Henry.
-Mick Potter.
-Tim Sheens.
-Michael Hagan.
-David Furner.

of those 14 candidates yep Mary is probably the best choice.

Although it's fairly safe to assume it won't happen I would love to have Toovey coaching us desire to win, passionate, competitive, great mind for the game and did a great job at Manly especially considering the circumstances when he took over.
No he is not I would take Anderson, Henjak (only got sacked cause he stood up to and got Lockyer off side), Henry, Furner, Sheens, Hagan before Mary

possm

Coach
If they signed Toovey before season end at least there would be one positive to take out of the worst season in living memory.
And also, he would have time to evaluate his players during these last rounds and plan for next season with an off-season training program crafted to his wishes.

I have a feeling that although Mary and other applaud and sing the praises of our off-season training program as being the toughest ever, it is most probably one of the main reasons our team fails at the halfway point of the season. Other reasons would be the SOO competition and Mary's reliance on a power play game plan.

smi962

First Grade
I know these muppets said they interviewed 14 candidates before they resigned Mcf**kwit. just wondering if these 3 were interviewed, and if so, what in the world could they have possibly said or done during the interview to not get hired? I would have thought just turning up to an interview would make you a far better candidate than Mcf**ktard.

I think BJ just said in that 2SM interview that 14 names were presented to the board. Was there any mention of these names being interviewed?

smi962

First Grade
I wonder who those 14 names were:

-Shaun McRae.
-Brian McLennan.
-Chris Anderson.
-Ivan Henjak.
-Matt Elliot.
-Stuart Raper.
-Rick Stone.
-Jason Taylor.
-Wayne Pierce.
-Neil Henry.
-Mick Potter.
-Tim Sheens.
-Michael Hagan.
-David Furner.

of those 14 candidates yep Mary is probably the best choice.

Although it's fairly safe to assume it won't happen I would love to have Toovey coaching us desire to win, passionate, competitive, great mind for the game and did a great job at Manly especially considering the circumstances when he took over.

I would prefer a majority of those names to Mary

smi962

First Grade
I said in 2017 i would not attend another game while McGregor was the coach. I was so dissapointted when i broke my word and attended 2 games last year and 1 game this year but i think the only way the Management are going to take notice is we do not attend games.
I think the only coaches available to get us out of this mess are Toovey Griffen. I do not know enough about Holebrook or the Walker brothers to comment.
PS Flannery would be another one but i do not like his methods to get results

I think the level of ambition is so low I am not really sure they are that worried about crowd numbers - crowd numbers have been relatively poor for a while and possibly declining (I don't have stats on hand to be sure of that) but still nothing has changed.

You need a sharp change like a supporter walk out to grab the attention of management not just a steady decline over the years.

j0nesy

Bench
I'm in favour of just about any move that removes the current coach but if Toovey was worth signing he would have been picked up by another club already.

I hear the 14 were:
Hornby
Wishart
Rodwell
McGregor
McIndoe
Barrett
Simon
Ryles
Young
Walsh
Timmins
Fitzgibbon
Cross
Russel
Bolt

Purcell, Pincinelli and Schifiletti were unfortunately left off the short list

Mickthedragon

Juniors
I think BJ just said in that 2SM interview that 14 names were presented to the board. Was there any mention of these names being interviewed?
I seriously doubt it.
Then they those blokes would come out and deny it if it's made up.
Poor interviewing and they went pretty soft on him by not asking him to name them. Im calling Fake news.

Bench
I think that any coach that would even think of coming here would want to have total control of the coaching staff, players, recruitment and retention.
He would only want to report to the CEO not the Board.
The club would never allow that to happen so I doubt we will ever get a truly external coach.
The current board and coaching staff want to stay on the gravy train.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Geoff Toovey the man to have Dragons breathing fire again

by Jack Blyth July 23, 2019, 9:23am

They say he’s safe, but after what appears to be another bottom eight finish for the Dragons, the drums are beating louder and louder for the sacking of Paul McGregor.
And despite a lack of quality coaches on the market, there’s one former Manly stalwart that can instil some pride into the Red V jersey.
This season marks the sixth year that ‘Mary’ McGregor has taken the reigns for St George Illawarra, but regardless of the abundance of Origin and international players on their roster, has only secured a finals spot twice.
But even with the club’s losing form over the last two months, the kicker came before their game against Penrith, when McGregor announced he’d be resting his highest-paid player in Ben Hunt for the match.
With both team’s teetering on the edge of the top eight, it was simply a must-win game. The Dragons lost 40-18.
What makes the decision even more peculiar is the fact that in less than three weeks, St George Illawarra play the lowly ranked Gold Coast Titans at home.
Plus the fact that they’ll have a fit Gareth Widdop on hand at that point, meaning you could easily rest Hunt for a week and have an international slot into the halves, instead of 30-year-old, three-game rookie Darren Nichols.
But if McGregor were to get the sack for his subpar performances, who could they possibly snag?
Enter Geoff Toovey.
The man knows how to win, and more than anything, that’s what the Red V need right now. Wins.
‘Tooves’ managed a winning record of 58% in his four-year coaching stint in the NRL, a lot better than the 48% of Paul McGregor.
Taking over in 2012, Toovey led the Sea Eagles to three consecutive top-four finishes, including a Grand Final berth in 2013. However, he was sacked by the club after finishing one win short of the top eight in 2015, one of the more shocking coach sackings in recent years.
While he spent a year in England coaching Bradford, Toovey hasn’t be sighted as an NRL head coach since his Manly sacking four years ago. The time is perfect for him to return.
With the court case of Jack de Belin and the departure of Gareth Widdop, the expectations on Toovey wouldn’t be intense.
Yet he’d be taking over a roster featuring Origin stars Corey Norman, Ben Hunt, Paul Vaughan, Tyson Frizell and Tariq Sims, as well the likes of Cameron McInnes, Zac Lomax and James Graham.
The Dragons aren’t a side that needs rebuilding, and Toovey could propel them deep into the top eight.
McGregor has been questioned for years by the Dragons’ fans, some of the most passionate in the competition, and he certainly can’t last until his contract expires in 2021.
We’ve seen glimpses of the side’s best this year, but Mary has failed to really get the most out of his side. They were known as the ‘May premiers’ for the last few years, starting the season outstanding before a drop in form has seen them either miss the finals or just scrape in.
The year that Toovey missed the finals, and was ultimately sacked for, was the season headlined by off-contract stars Kieran Foran and Daly Cherry-Evans, and the drama that pursued that saga.
The fact that no club has hired him since is simply bewildering, but if the St George Illawarra side wants their club playing finals footy, it’s time for that streak to end.
Geoff Toovey is your man.

100% Yes for me.

I''ve been in Toovey's corner for some time but, listening to him on Controversy Corner, I'm wondering if even he would regard the Dragons as a bridge too far. If Toovey didn't want the poisoned chalice, I would be talking to three assistant coaches to the best 3 coaches in the NRL- Jason Ryles (asst to Bellamy), Craig Fitzgibbon (asst to Robinson) and Jason Demetriou (asst to Bennett). All three are highly regarded and also have a past connection with the Dragons ( not sure if that's a good or bad thing right now).

Wittenberg

Juniors
One of the issues we face is that Mary is one of the lowest paid coaches in the NRL. Our club needs to be prepared to pay for quality. At the moment we seem to be getting what we are willing to pay for.......Mary.

I''ve been in Toovey's corner for some time but, listening to him on Controversy Corner, I'm wondering if even he would regard the Dragons as a bridge too far. If Toovey didn't want the poisoned chalice, I would be talking to three assistant coaches to the best 3 coaches in the NRL- Jason Ryles (asst to Bellamy), Craig Fitzgibbon (asst to Robinson) and Jason Demetriou (asst to Bennett). All three are highly regarded and also have a past connection with the Dragons ( not sure if that's a good or bad thing right now).
The process needs to have integrity.
Do your homework and due diligence on the candidates.
In the case of the 3 highly regarded assistants (which I respect) speak to the head coaches they have worked with.
Surely someone within the St. George can make a fair and considered assessment of the candidates and their capabilities and technical knowledge.
Once that is done and final choice is made, then get out of the new coach's way and let him build a roster and a winning team.
Certainly not the methodology we used in McGregor's case.

Latest posts