What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Geoff Toovey's standing in the game?

Patorick

Staff member
Where too start?

Toovey was a great player.

Yes I'm a Manly fan and biased, but I can look at the game somewhat objectively.

The thing with Toovey is that he was not a particularly skillful player. He didn't have a flash passing, kicking or running game. He was very good, just not as good as Langer, Stuart, Johns etc.

What Toovey had was a defensive game that someone his size should not of had. He was 168cm and 70 kg. Smaller than Allan Langer, yet could tackle like Trevor Gillmeister. That may be taking it a bit far, but Toovey was tough. It's cliche I know but pound for pound he was one of the toughest players ever.

What Newcastle did too Toovey in that 1997 grand final gets glossed over by some. Paul Harragon especially crushed him so many times. MacDougall stomped on his face with the spikes of his boots. Somehow Toovey kept going.

Anyone that does not recognise Toovey as one of the best halfback/hookers of our time just doesn't appreciate toughness in their footballers. All they care about is how skillful they are.

Rant over.

alien

Referee
It was in '96 that the only Tests were against Fiji and PNG.

and the 1996 world cup....

I will never forget that world cup. Australia won it in England without the Australians that were joining Super League the next year. In saying that it was still a very strong lineup. Andrew Johns was in the 9 and Toovey was in the 7.

alien

Referee
Oh and I thought Toovey was a pretty good halfback but not as good as Joey Johns :)

DeeGan

Bench
Where too start?

Yes I'm a Manly fan and biased, but I can look at the game somewhat objectively.

The thing with Toovey is that he was not a particularly skillful player. He didn't have a flash passing, kicking or running game. He was very good, just not as good as Langer, Stuart, Johns etc.

What Toovey had was a defensive game that someone his size should not of had. He was 168cm and 70 kg. Smaller than Allan Langer, yet could tackle like Trevor Gillmeister. That may be taking it a bit far, but Toovey was tough. It's cliche I know but pound for pound he was one of the toughest players ever.

What Newcastle did too Toovey in that 1997 grand final gets glossed over by some. Paul Harragon especially crushed him so many times. MacDougall stomped on his face with the spikes of his boots. Somehow Toovey kept going.

Anyone that does not recognise Toovey as one of the best halfback/hookers of our time just doesn't appreciate toughness in their footballers. All they care about is how skillful they are.

Rant over.

Great post, you sum it up perfectly :clap:

Again, I don't think Toovey was better than Johns, Langer, Stuart, Alexander etc. I just find it hard to believe this great little player isn't acknowledged when we look at these bogus lists like the Top 100.

Briza

Juniors
3 f**king pages and only one person answered the OP's question, you're all f**king Children!

I echo Pat's sentiments.

zombie jesus

Staff member
I thought they were both used as hooker/half when they played together, it was around the time Fulton was turning Toovey in to a more versatile player at Manly after they bought Craig Field to play in the halves.

If Toovey was around in the 50's or 60's his talent and guts would have been held in much higher regard these days.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Geoff Toovey's standing in the game?

If Andrew Johns is the best halfback since rugby league was born, where does that place Geoff Toovey in the scheme of things?
Behind a hundred other halfbacks all better than him

No, this is not an anti-NSW/anti-Johns rant, I have no problem with Johns' place in the team (just pipping Allan Langer), though Toovey was selected at halfback for NSW and Australia (correct me if I am wrong) and Johns was forced to play out of position on occasion.
Because Johns could tackle ten times better than Toovey, and Toovey was in semi decent form, and there were no other decent options at half or hooker

Where does Toovey stand in the game if he can keep out arguably the greatest player of them all from his favoured position?
that was a testament to John's versatility, further strengthening the reasoning of his selection in the team of the centenary.

chileman

Coach
No matter what you say about Toovs, pound for pound he was one of the toughest players in League cutting down blokes double his size in defense....and wasn't a bad attacker either when he wasn't getting trodden on by the likes of Chief Harrigon.....tough as nails he was!

Joe Davola

Juniors
Correct, thats how they were named. However every time this happened Toovey would actually play hooker and Johns first receiver. Watch any game where they were named that way and I promise you thats what you will see.

You are correct..... despite the numbers on their backs, Toovey was dummy half (hooker) and Johns played first receiver (half back). The only exception was when it came to scrums, where you will find Johns packed in as hooker and Toovey would feed the scrums.

I guess at that stage of their careers, Toovey was the senior player and was able to pull rank and not have to stick his head in the middle of the scrum.

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Where too start?

Rant over.

:clap: well said!

Canard

Immortal
I couldnt stand the little prick in the first part of his career, his whinging moaning act to the referees, made Thurston, Buderus and Roosters era Justin Hodges look like deaf mutes. F*rk he was bad, he would start about 1min into the game and not stop, he was especially allowed to get away with murder in the 97 ARL season.

On reflection though, I started to realise this was probably on "orders" from Bob Fulton "Get in the refs ear earlier and whinge and moan". I remember when Harrigan controlled the Manly/Broncos game in 98 (First game of the New NRL), he basically told Toovey to STFU (might have binned him also) and Toovey was pretty much all good from then on.

As said tough as nails, and a great competitor. My lasting memory of him will be when he got steamrolled by Gene Miles in a semi-final, he was in la la land, had to get carried of and everything. About 10mins later he was back on the field. One tough cookie. Not an all time great, but a good first grade player.

Razor

Coach
No, this is not an anti-NSW/anti-Johns rant, I have no problem with Johns' place in the team (just pipping Allan Langer), though Toovey was selected at halfback for NSW and Australia (correct me if I am wrong) and Johns was forced to play out of position on occasion.

Because Johns was good enough to play hooker for Australia. Toovey wasn't; Langer wasn't; Sterling wasn't; Stuart wasn't; Smith wasn't. That's a plus that he can play outside his main position, not a negative.

Latest posts