What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Nah its just stupidity. And its classic Ricky acting out of emotion rather than zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

You could have still come to the same outcome without creating this massive diarrhoea storm in the media.
ahhh rubbish
again
george went to social media with the sokky lar lars first
he made it public.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
literally not this , so much not this

you lie deceive & manipulate
then .... theres no hashing it out

We cannot just unilaterally release someone from a contract. If that was possible then a ton of NRL players would be released because they aren't producing what they are paid. So yes we should have tried to sort this out behind closed doors.

Perth Red

Post Whore
We cannot just unilaterally release someone from a contract. If that was possible then a ton of NRL players would be released because they aren't producing what they are paid. So yes we should have tried to sort this out behind closed doors.

Yep it should have been clear by the third request that there was no rescuing it beyond the end of the year so why not just sit down with him on Monday when the latest request came in and agree to releasing him at end of year as long as it wasn't to another NRL club. How hard would that have been?? No bad press or court cases for player or club, raiders get rest of season out of one of the better half backs in the game, club doesn't tarnish its chances of signing players in the future. everyone's a winner! They could have even had a clause that if he came back to NRL they get first go given they are being generous in releasing him. Or if it was me as soon as I realised it wasnt working for him I'd have been going after a transfer fee with UK clubs.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Agreed. Watching it play out over the week it just looks like the club chucked a tanty and will embarrassingly have to pay him out anyway. It really doesn't matter how anyone feels about Williams because Stick and Don have handled it so poorly that all the heat is on them.

Nothing to do with how well or not it was handled...But for all the fans of all other clubs apart from the Raiders...

If he didn't go back to the UK, would you want George Williams at your club?

For me it's a flat no.

You think the raiders don't know that ?
they obviously have grounds & NRL anti tampering laws most likely have been breached.
We haven't heard the last of this

Perth Red

Post Whore
no numb nuts
youve got it wrong ... again
it was the other way around

What? Hooper put out the misleading titled article and Williams felt he needed to reply to let everyone know he hadn't quit the club by text at all. What imaginary scenario are you talking about?
Hooper released his story (with details that could have only come from inside Raiders HQ) virtually same time as raiders press announcement (almost like he had insider info hey?)
Then the story was put up on twitter by NRL on Fox and that was what Williams responded to a few minutes later. Williams tweet came out whilst NRL360 was live and they had already been discussing it, Hoopers face was a picture lol.

"Williams defended himself and hit back at the club on social media after the story broke."
NRL news 2021: Canberra Raiders release George Williams, text message, NRL teams Round 12

Last edited:
Really? He had to allegedly put 4 requests in, was slagged off for wanting to renegotiate his contract value, which he was quite entitled to do under the terms of it, offered to stay if they paid hom what he thought he was worth (to which they replied sure of you sign a longer contract) and eventually got so fed up of it all he decided to bog off back to miserable wigan a year early. When you say perfect, perfect for who?

Exactly. They like to present it as the pommies have form in this, but really it’s Raiders who’ve a recent history of not engaging in reasonable dialogue. It’s almost like they’ve a short-tempered coach with an ego the size of a house and a messiah complex. Hmmm....

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Nah its just stupidity. And its classic Ricky acting out of emotion rather than zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

You could have still come to the same outcome without creating this massive diarrhoea storm in the media.

This is true - it's typical piss poor Ricky Stuart mis-man-management (a word I just made up) that has plagued him throughout his coaching career and why he left every post he's had in ignominy. His style just does not lend itself to long-term or even mid-term stability and success.

I feel like most posters want to make this a completely Canberra thing, or a completely George Williams thing. It's both. As so many have said, the Raiders have made a complete f**king hash of this by playing it out in the media, not reaching a reasoned decision that benefits both parties, potentially alienating other squad members etc...but having said that, I can understand why emotionally (which is not how clubs should act) they dug their toes in given Williams' conduct in trying to weasel out of a contract to sign with other clubs, then refusing to train or play. Follow that in with Hodgson's horse shit about not being a bench player (when on form, he could be further up the grandstand) and no one at all has covered themselves in glory at all.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
You think the raiders don't know that ?
they obviously have grounds & NRL anti tampering laws most likely have been breached.
We haven't heard the last of this

Are there even anti tampering laws ? Weren't they scrapped in the early 00s.

The Broncos approached Milford with like 18 months left on his contract. It helped derail our 2013 season.

I don't think it's strictly illegal to talk with other clubs under contract. I'll happily be corrected on this. There are just rules about when contracts can be signed

As I said we can't be too precious after we had the rlpa agitate to get Tapine out of his contract early. Its the game

betcats

Referee

The Broncos approached Milford with like 18 months left on his contract. It helped derail our 2013 season.

I don't think it's strictly illegal to talk with other clubs under contract. I'll happily be corrected on this. There are just rules about when contracts can be signed

As I said we can't be too precious after we had the rlpa agitate to get Tapine out of his contract early. Its the game

Further to your last point Ricky Stuart himself got out of a a contract with parra to go “home” as he put it for him to take the high road with Williams is crazy.
Every club is guilty of encouraging coaches and players to try to get out of contracts, they all do it when it suits them.

Chimp

Bench
Further to your last point Ricky Stuart himself got out of a a contract with parra to go “home” as he put it for him to take the high road with Williams is crazy.
Every club is guilty of encouraging coaches and players to try to get out of contracts, they all do it when it suits them.
Agree with this, the only thing I’d add is that the balance of power is probably too much with the players/player managers at the moment.
If a club wants to give the player the flick, the player will never be out of pocket (unless they agree). Essentially the club has to find another club to take the player, and then agree the split on who pays what, but ultimately, the player will always receive the value of their remaining contract. (Eg player has 2 years left on contract at $500k per year, club pushes them out to another club who only agree to pay $300k per year, the selling club would have to ‘top up’ the extra $200k per year; and have that come out of their cap too).
If the player wants out with 2 years to go (whether that’s because they’re agent has got a better offer elsewhere or homesick etc), currently if the club isn’t happy to let them go, the player starts causing problems, not putting in, agent starts causing other issues in the club with other players/potential recruits. Essentially, other than forcing them to stay and feeling the consequences of an unhappy player and player manager, the club has to either bump up their pay, or let them go. There needs to be stronger controls to protect the clubs to stop players/managers being able to chase a better deal during a contract. As things stand, if a club makes a multi-year deal and the player starts to become more valuable; the club will end up having to do something before that contract is due for renewal.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
The balance of power lays with the players because they create the value in the game.

That said clubs can enforce a contract. We did with Milford and the Panthers are with Burton and both players put in during their last year. I have no complaints with how Milford played in 2014. I think Williams has largely been putting in as much as anyone at my shithouse club until he pulled a sickie. Any issues with the way he is playing (he isnt direct enough) is a structural one not an effort one imo. Defensively which is normally the acid test for effort I haven't noticed him shirking. He is one of the better defensive halves.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade

Isn't it illegal unless it's in the last year of the contract?

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Isn't it illegal unless it's in the last year of the contract?

I had a quick google on the train this morning because I remember during the Milford saga the Bronx couldn't sign him until November 1st 2013 but the league doesn't have especially strong anti tampering rules, I seem to recall we had a bit of a whinge but got nowhere because News Ltd started a campaign against the Raiders to release poor Milford from his contract well before the anti tampering deadline.

Not that I care now. We won that little exchange because Ben Hunt dropped a ball and Milford got fat. I just think the NRL isn't going to enforce anti-tampering rules against clubs so long as they don't announce a player was signed until the deadline.

But it is interesting in the case of homesick Anthony Milford he just knew the Bronx would sign him if he could just agitate for a release before the November 1st deadline

Zoe Palmer

Juniors
That the Raiders have done it like dicks and made Williams pay for it.

What benefit do they get cutting him now rather than the end of the season? Nothing. In fact they are hurting themselves.

This could have been done a lot better.

Can’t agree.

They have paid him so he can’t complain. They have released him as requested by him.
His form has been average at best. No loss.
Why keep a player around that doesn’t want to be there.He will whiteant the place.