What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News George Williams quits Raiders

Pete Cash

Post Whore
hmmm
mabes because
he lied to them about the reasons for his release

And how does this help us ??

The players appear to be furious, George is now just going to bunker down and get every cent he feels he can get out the club and we look like a basketcase.

This could have been hashed out behind closed doors. I am f**king sick of Stuart going to the media with everything. It makes the club look shoddy and makes the players paranoid.

How does this help the Canberra Raiders ?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I imagine plenty of women being told they have to give birth alone because of a contract which doesn’t take into account that global circumstances have changed would feel pretty upset. Call it what you want but being able to roam the streets of Belconnen ain’t gonna make her feel like she has a support network.

That commitment was made when the world was a totally different place. They didn’t sign up for this.

Are you seriously saying players with existing contracts who like their family should sacrifice having kids during it now?

They chose to sign a three-year contract in Canberra when they and their family could travel freely between there and England.

They didn’t choose border lockdowns.

It’s the Canberra Raiders who have to accept that. Instead they are hiding behind a contract which was drawn up in a different universe.

So you are glad they are using the pregnancy situation to get revenge. Because without the pregnancy situation, this doesn’t come up.

Try and be bigger than that mate.

OK, OK...I get your points. But don't give me that shit in the last paragraph. That's emotive rubbish that I never said. I'll leave it there.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
$600k for arguably one of the few decent halfbacks in the game isnt a big money contract in NRL terms. Seems part of the problem with raiders, understandably given they are untested in NRL, going in low ball for english players, then when they look class the players want out because they are deemed under paid maybe?
And TBF whilst not a dive its not exactly the Australian dream is it? lol

Well yeah, it's a strategy that Stuart is going to have to rethink, no doubt. He'd say COVID played a big part in that, and I'd agree with him. They went close to winning a premiership with it, so I guess it had merit.

I think what happened with Williams was, no one was sure how he'd go and Canberra gave him the best offer. Then he proved he had a bit about him, then thought 'hmmm, Sydney looks nice, they'll have me now - bugger this dud joint' which is just rubbish. And why I am so anti what he's done, why the Raiders were, why the mugs on 360 are etc.

everyone seems to forget

the Raiders released John Bateman without any fuss, because he didn't snake them behind their backs & was always upfront & honest with them

The Raiders & Stuart handled that perfectly.
Now suddenly they don't know how to & theres no reason why .

I'd suggest George was about to get his release , on his terms until the club got wind of what he was up to

Pete Cash

Post Whore
What’s the point of signing a contract these days?

Well i mean they are obviously enforceable hence why the club and Williams are currently having a mexican standoff.

I don't think we can be too cute either. We got the RLPA to agitate for Tapine to be released from his Knights contract early after he was dropped "to send a message"

you think there should be no honour & integrity in dealings these days & if a millennial wants a beach side address & will lie about mental health issues to achieve it

thats all part of modern life ?

jesus H

It’s pretty obvious the “move to Sydney” thing, if it ever was a thing, preceded his bird getting pregnant which led to the “need to go home” issue. Like I say, if it’s even a thing and not a Sticky media mates bullshit line. There’s no release > Sydney angle, it would never fly (and have been locked out contractually). One came before the other, they’re not linked, and you’re falling for the company line - or knowingly propagating it, one of the two

I hope you never ask your employer to renegotiate something (with lots of notice) because yer missus is unhappy, get a flat ‘no’ making your home life a spiralling daily misery, take a few days off to cope with the stress, and get fired by some “I’ll show ya you whinging pommie b*stard” emotional, macho idiot.

That’s what happened here. George Williams is not some manipulative mastermind trying to get a move to Wests and an apartment on the beach. He’s a bloke unhappily going back to the dump that is Wigan, because he’s put his missus first for once

Johns Magic

Referee
What’s the point of signing a contract these days?

I totally get this. Usually I’m a fan of sticking it to the player in this situation.

But I think people have to accept this one is extenuating circumstances brought on by something no one could have foreseen when the contract was signed.

There is a pretty big human cost here and Williams and his missus aren’t to blame for it. Maybe they were ratty about it before but I don’t think sticking it to them here(mostly at her expense) is the right thing to do.

Handle it the best way for all parties then cut ties and move on. That would be “give us your best for the rest of the year and we’ll hit the market for 2022”.

It’s pretty obvious the “move to Sydney” thing, if it ever was a thing, preceded his bird getting pregnant which led to the “need to go home” issue. Like I say, if it’s even a thing and not a Sticky media mates bullshit line. There’s no release > Sydney angle, it would never fly (and have been locked out contractually). One came before the other, they’re not linked, and you’re falling for the company line - or knowingly propagating it, one of the two

I hope you never ask your employer to renegotiate something (with lots of notice) because yer missus is unhappy, get a flat ‘no’ making your home life a spiralling daily misery, take a few days off to cope with the stress, and get fired by some “I’ll show ya you whinging pommie b*stard” emotional, macho idiot.

That’s what happened here. George Williams is not some manipulative mastermind trying to get a move to Wests and an apartment on the beach. He’s a bloke unhappily going back to the dump that is Wigan, because he’s put his missus first for once

oh its a thing
& george kept it from the Raiders

why ?

Bateman said he was unhappy & wanted out
the Raiders said ok , we only want players here who want to be here

George was dishonorable in his dealings
all bets are off

Perth Red

Post Whore
everyone seems to forget

the Raiders released John Bateman without any fuss, because he didn't snake them behind their backs & was always upfront & honest with them

The Raiders & Stuart handled that perfectly.
Now suddenly they don't know how to & theres no reason why .

I'd suggest George was about to get his release , on his terms until the club got wind of what he was up to

Really? He had to allegedly put 4 requests in, was slagged off for wanting to renegotiate his contract value, which he was quite entitled to do under the terms of it, offered to stay if they paid hom what he thought he was worth (to which they replied sure of you sign a longer contract) and eventually got so fed up of it all he decided to bog off back to miserable wigan a year early. When you say perfect, perfect for who?

Really? He had to allegedly put 4 requests in, was slagged off for wanting to renegotiate his contract value, which he was quite entitled to do under the terms of it, offered to stay if they paid hom what he thought he was worth (to which they replied sure of you sign a longer contract) and eventually got so fed up of it all he decided to bog off back to miserable wigan a year early. When you say perfect, perfect for who?

slagged off by who ?

Was Bateman released ?
yep , so he got what he wanted

did the Raiders hold him to his contract
nope

& if he didn't want to return to wigan

then why the F did he hahahaha

Perth Red

Post Whore
slagged off by who ?

Was Bateman released ?
yep , so he got what he wanted

did the Raiders hold him to his contract
nope

& if he didn't want to return to wigan

then why the F did he hahahaha

There was plenty of "media talk" about him being greedy, fueled from where I wonder?
He said he wanted to stay for final year if they could work out a deal. So he left early without really wanting to, club lost one of its most influential players for a season they could have had him, but hey they showed him just like they are showing George lol
BS will make you walk, happens every day in work environments.

this notion that clubs need to bend over when players aren't happy is nonsense
There was plenty of "media talk" about him being greedy, fueled from where I wonder?
He said he wanted to stay for final year if they could work out a deal. So he left early without really wanting to, club lost one of its most influential players for a season they could have had him, but hey they showed him just like they are showing George lol
BS will make you walk, happens every day in work environments.

so another pom who wanted his cake & be able to scoff it down too eh
he was offered a significant upgrade in another contract &
he passed .. his choice
Its the Raiders fault that they tried to get a better deal for themselves as well as Bateman ?

Please

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
What I dont understand from the clubs perspective is that we have the bye this week. So why didnt they just say George is "injured" and spend the next two weeks hashing out a release. Neither party can just make the deal vanish. Hence why George is agitating for release in the first place.

I really do not understand why the club has handled it the way they have.
Literally this. So much this.

fact is Bateman got released from the final year of his contract just like he wanted & williams wanted
& it would have happened

but

for the dishonesty

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
literally not this , so much not this

you lie deceive & manipulate
then .... theres no hashing it out
Nah its just stupidity. And its classic Ricky acting out of emotion rather than zooming out and looking at the bigger picture.

You could have still come to the same outcome without creating this massive diarrhoea storm in the media.