What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Brian Smith signature on contract

parra pete

Referee
Re-signing Brian Smith to an extended contract should be NO 1 PRIORITY. Get it now before he becomes a premiership winning coach.
He will be in HOT demand at the end of 2006.
His ability to keep his cool, assess players and manage team makes his as valuable as Alex Feguson.
Clubs like Penrith, Manly, must be drooling at the prospect of him coming off contract.

Phillips

Referee
parra pete said:
Re-signing Brian Smith to an extended contract should be NO 1 PRIORITY. Get it now before he becomes a premiership winning coach.
He will be in HOT demand at the end of 2006.
His ability to keep his cool, assess players and manage team makes his as valuable as Alex Feguson.
Clubs like Penrith, Manly, must be drooling at the prospect of him coming off contract.

:lol:

Eelementary

Post Whore
Well, let us all pray in earnest that he does not become the next Alex Ferguson then!

I can just imagine it now....A row with the coach. Shoes are thrown. And Eels forward Nathan Hindmarsh emerges from the dressing rooms nursing a black, football-boot-shaped eye.....

*EERIE*

Macca_

Coach
As much as I dispise Al*x F*rg*s*n, there is no questioning that he is a great manager.

Smith needs to win a comp before he gets a new contract imo.

eelaholic

First Grade
yep. people seem to think when he's winning he's hot, and when he's losing he's not.

It would be good if we can get tony smith back at the club too! So yes, we can have a whole club full of smiths! And if your last name isn't smith, then it should be a clause in your contract to change it to smith by deed poll!

Eelementary

Post Whore
Yes.

But comparing Ferguson to Smith is rather ludicrous.

A monkey with 50% brain capacity could have coached Manchester United to glory in those days, given the multi-million dollar squad they had.

Give Brian Smith some of the best players in the world and Australia and he'd win the Premiership easily. As would most NRL coaches.

eelaholic

First Grade
yes, so would the monkey with 50% brain capacity! As long as he wore rollerskates and smoked cigars!

Macca_

Coach
Eelementary said:
A monkey with 50% brain capacity could have coached Manchester United to glory in those days, given the multi-million dollar squad they had.
To be fair to the w*nk*r :D, it does take a good manager to keep a club at the top for so long. Especially at that level. Doesn't matter what the playing roster is like. You still have to bring on the youth, make the right transfers and use the right tactics. He has won the lot, done it all. As I said, I don't like him at all, but he IS a great manager.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Macca_ said:
To be fair to the w*nk*r :D, it does take a good manager to keep a club at the top for so long. Especially at that level. Doesn't matter what the playing roster is like. You still have to bring on the youth, make the right transfers and use the right tactics. He has won the lot, done it all. As I said, I don't like him at all, but he IS a great manager.

Yes -I can't deny that his retention and transfer policies were quite strong, as was his people skills to keep people happy.

So he deserves some credit.

But it's a slightly different story here - I mean we've had gutsy players like Hopkins, Langi, Stapleton and Chan with us. But they are no comparison to players of quality, such as Morrison, Tahu, Stringer and Riddell.

In terms of playing roster, if the situation was similar to the English Premier League in terms of money, we would be a lot more competitive.

parra pete

Referee
This thread is not about Alex Ferguson - sorry I made that comment. I know little about the man except that he is very well respected in Soccer circles in World soccer. This thread is about Brian Smith, who, in my opinion is the No 1 Coach in the NRL. If the Eels don't secure him, some other Club will.

eelaholic

First Grade
so this thread isn't about a rollerskating, cigar smoking monkey??

Come one Mr Cheeny, lets get out of here.....

Eelementary

Post Whore
Macca_ said:
Elelmetary - Agree completely. And I can't believe I actually wrapped that clown!

Hey no mate - you made some good points.

I never really liked Man U because they always won. And I never really rated Beckham that highly.

But the moment Ferguson threw that boot into Dave's head, I lost all respect for him.

To me, Zidane and Figo are better players than Beckham.

Anyway, Ferguson is an idiot, Brian Smith is a good coach and Beckham is over-rated....lol.

Macca_

Coach
I think he kicked it in the dressing room and it happened to hit Spiceboy... Just a hot headed reaction :lol: Funny though.

Anyway, Smith needs to win a comp before he gets rewarded by this club anymore imo.

Suitman

Post Whore
parra pete said:
This thread is not about Alex Ferguson - sorry I made that comment. I know little about the man except that he is very well respected in Soccer circles in World soccer. This thread is about Brian Smith, who, in my opinion is the No 1 Coach in the NRL. If the Eels don't secure him, some other Club will.

And if some other club does, then we'll secure some other Club's coach.

Man, whats the big deal?
We had coaches that won us premierships before Brian Smith came along.
And we'll find another one in the future whether Smith wins us a comp or if he doesn't.
But if he doesn't this year, how many more decades would you like to give him??

Suity

bartman

Immortal
Fair dinkum. Let's see if he's got what it takes to step to the next level first? We were out coached as well as outplayed in the 2001 grand final. He has to redeem himself first and show he can bounce back in a pressure situation. (I'm sure he wants to prove himself in that way, as much as we want him to.)

We all have seen the results of signing some player on long term contract extensions during one good year - the hunger and incentive for the potential to be realised seems to disappear. Coaching is the same, don't reward someone before they've achieved what their hunger (for a reward) should be helping them to focus on. Wait until after they've achieved their goal.

He's had a long time at the helm, and is secure until end of 2006. Saying he'll be in demand if we win this year is the same as saying teams should just chase whichever coach won a premiership the year before every year - it doesn't work that way. And who knows if Smith will want a change of scene after finally getting a win anyway?

There's no denying Smith's long-term recruitment and development is paying dividends with the teams current performance, but let's not sign him for life as a first grade coach because of that! A premiership win and I'd consider it, otherwise I'd be offering only a coaching director role, and getting someone else in (officially) to handle the team and match preparations.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
how many years as he been coahing and how many chances has he had ?

he has made so many mistakes and he is yet to prove himself and his ability to go all teh way, even if he does this season, alot of us remmemebr 2001

what about the big forwad pack theory and all the has beens he bought last year

this is Sharpies first year with us in his current role, perhaps he is the one that made the difference, and he is the one we should be signing up

if BS gets it right this year, his strike rate is still pretty ordinary, he has to get one at some stage if he keeps coaching

one thing that he has done well recently is the player retention and shaping the team with the depth that we now have, but perhaps that is more the role of a coaching director or chief selector