What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get Brian Smith signature on contract

The Colonel

Immortal
I have no doubt that when Brian finishes his contract, or maybe even before, he will move into the coaching director role that has been suggested for so long and so often. Particularly if we win the Grand Final. He won't stay as the coach for mine, but he will be at the club for a long time to come....

Mr Saab

Referee
True EEL said:
oh my God!!!

has anyone been down THIS road before whilst supporting Parramatta?????????

does anyone remember 2001 and the years that followed after signing BS to a HUGE contract extension BEFORE he even won anything???

now don't get me wrong - i'm NOT bashing BS, but let's just see if he can actually get us over the line before we go making such decisions and taking our eyes off the prize so to speak

no offense, but i can't believe this thread - at all

thats all true.
Most wanted him out of there 2002/3/4.
Signing coaches to long conracts is wrong.
Longest should be 3 yrs and thats to a proven coach.
Anything longer than that is asking for alot of trouble

Stagger eel

Staff member
Charlie Saab said:
thats all true.
Most wanted him out of there 2002/3/4.
Signing coaches to long conracts is wrong.
Longest should be 3 yrs and thats to a proven coach.
Anything longer than that is asking for alot of trouble

in saying all that how do you feel about your coach, virtually owning his position for life.

RainMan

Juniors
parra pete said:
Re-signing Brian Smith to an extended contract should be NO 1 PRIORITY. Get it now before he becomes a premiership winning coach.
He will be in HOT demand at the end of 2006.
His ability to keep his cool, assess players and manage team makes his as valuable as Alex Feguson.
Clubs like Penrith, Manly, must be drooling at the prospect of him coming off contract.

If (highly unlikely) Parra bomb out of the semis after 2 games, would you still think the same?

walker smith

Juniors
eelavation said:
in saying all that how do you feel about your coach, virtually owning his position for life.

this is a great question eelavation and i would be interested in the response from an outspoken bronco fan like Saab.....in my view Bennett has delivered similarly stale results for five years!

Mr Saab

Referee
eelavation said:

wayne has made it well known that he doesnt have a contract...he takes it a yr at the time.
I would say that i think his time is drawing to an end.
If the Broncos could get Bellamy back to the club and as head coach i would be very happy.
I dont want Walters to take over....he isnt ready.

The Colonel

Immortal
RainMan said:
If (highly unlikely) Parra bomb out of the semis after 2 games, would you still think the same?

He'd still be at the club. Regardless of any results during the finals he will keep his job for next year at the least.

If Manly don't make the semis, which is looking more and more likely, what do you think of Dessies chances of making the start of next season will be?

RainMan

Juniors
The Colonel said:
If Manly don't make the semis, which is looking more and more likely, what do you think of Dessies chances of making the start of next season will be?

I really don't know? He may be safe I think? If Manly can't make the semis next year with Orford and Bell there, he should go.

fish eel

Immortal
The Colonel said:

He's a cert.

They're happy running mid-lower table that club!

Utey

Coach
I have never called for his head, but wanted to see how he went this season with a solid squad and minimal injuries. If he can bring home a premiership I dont think he will go anywhere. He bleeds blue and gold.

parra pete

Referee
RainMan said:

Most certainly would..To me Football is MORE than winning premierships. A premiership victory is good on the night it happens. Two days later, WHO CARES.
Football to me is the season..It is about developing players into good citizens..It is about being proud of your players and Club and the players, in turn, respecting the Club and its fans and putting in 110% effort every time they take the field.
"All I want in this battle of life is a chance that is honest and fair,
A chance that is equal to all in strife and the courage to do and to dare.
And if I should win, let it be with the code of my courage and honour held high,
And if I should lose then I'll stand by the road and cheer as the winners go by."
Brian Smith to me, epitimises everything good in the game of Rugby League. Good coach, great identifier of talent, loyal and good role model. People like that make a Club grow. When you have things like that, everything falls into place. Natural progression.
To me a season is MORE than a Grand Final. The minor premiership carries more importance..It is the true indicator of the best team
Just because the Eels didn't win the title in 2001, did you really think they were not the BEST team in the competition after the record breaking season they had. Grand Finals should be a best of three series.

bartman

Immortal
The Colonel said:
I have no doubt that when Brian finishes his contract, or maybe even before, he will move into the coaching director role that has been suggested for so long and so often. Particularly if we win the Grand Final. He won't stay as the coach for mine, but he will be at the club for a long time to come....
Sounds on the money for mine. What not many people are thinking about is Brian's possible ambitions for himself. How many of us want to stay in our same jobs at the same level and same place for ten or more years? Maybe in the old days where 50 years = gold watch, but not today.

Latest posts