What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Get your lollerskates on...

beave

Coach
Watch the rugby world cup in Japan later this year and then you might get some perspective.

What’s the score line going to be when the rah-rah heavy weights Georgia, Russia, Nambibia and Uruguay have to play the other teams in their pool?

TheDMC

Bench
I grew up watching and playing union in NZ. But am way more into watching NRL since 95, its so much more entertaining than Super 15. But the World Cup is a fantastic event.
Also entertaining is the niggle between pompous Aussie union nobs and chip on shoulder Aussie league heads.

What’s the score line going to be when the rah-rah heavy weights Georgia, Russia, Nambibia and Uruguay have to play the other teams in their pool?

I wonder if they'll give the NZ v Japan game from the 1995 RU World Cup, where NZ won 145-17, a shake?

Frailty

First Grade
Rugby Union is more popular internationally. That's undeniable.

But it doesn't mean it's a better sport, nor that it will continue to be more popular. This is just a Union head trying to defend how small the game has become in Australia.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
With the crowd numbers decreasing and funds bleeding if you go by history won't they announce for possibility of a new expansion gram soon?

beave

Coach
I grew up watching and playing union in NZ. But am way more into watching NRL since 95, its so much more entertaining than Super 15. But the World Cup is a fantastic event.
Also entertaining is the niggle between pompous Aussie union nobs and chip on shoulder Aussie league heads.

Who’s legitimately got the chip on their shoulder? I haven’t see the NRL coming out and sprouting how small Union is in this part of the world?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
Kickby is huge in NZ.

South Africa is big.

Everywhere else a small low paid/amateur sport. World wide pfffftttt.

Diesel

Referee
Kickby is huge in NZ.

South Africa is big.

Everywhere else a small low paid/amateur sport. World wide pfffftttt.
The union fans bag the RLWC, but the union one has simular scorelines in the pool stages. 2017 was a huge improvement on any WC.
RLWC has improved since it was reintroduced in 2008.

TheDMC

Bench
Who’s legitimately got the chip on their shoulder? I haven’t see the NRL coming out and sprouting how small Union is in this part of the world?

I think you are mistaking having a chip on your shoulder (being resentful as perceived being treated unfairly) with being a dick (ex union player now shite journalist dishing on another code for no reason). Lot of chips on this thread's shoulders.

_Johnsy

Referee
Arrogant comments like this is one of the reasons I've turned off union over the years. I've spent some time with the privileged grammar people sneering at Rugby League when the state Union is in here in Australia is a disgrace.

I was watching NRL360 last night & & they played a snippet of Paul White (I think) who said that the average in play time for the NRL in 2018 was 53 minutes compared to Super Rugby average of 37 minutes. Therein lies the problem with union & why it is dying a slow embarrassing death in Australia.

I think you are mistaking having a chip on your shoulder (being resentful as perceived being treated unfairly) with being a dick (ex union player now shite journalist dishing on another code for no reason). Lot of chips on this thread's shoulders.

I would have thought that the chip on the shoulder belongs squarely with those taking pot shots at rugby league. As you said it is simply holding a grudge or grievance that readily provokes disputation. So DO the many rugby league fans have an obligation to ignore a blatant incorrect pot shot at the game they love? When they respond and provide information that proves the claim incorrect. Using your rationale, this by default gives them a chip on their shoulder? I think your rationale needs a rethink, otherwise everyone who disagrees or believes a statement to be incorrect or false has a chip on their shoulder.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
We haven't seen anything remotely interesting in Australian RU since George 'Baldie' Gregan stopped throwing dolphin dive speculators at every breakdown.

Undoubtedly the worst sport in Australia right now. And that includes golf. They should be completely embarrassed with the state of their game.

What's wrong with golf? Participation is down but that's a societal/financial/time-based issue. Australia is absolutely flying in terms of its professional scene. Plenty of guys in the top 20/50, great juniors, a great junior programme, the Aussie series of events on the Aus PGA Tour gets big names, it's just flying.

And RU is in the toilet. Which is why the NSW CEO is throwing potshots to deflect from how crap his code is

TheDMC

Bench
I would have thought that the chip on the shoulder belongs squarely with those taking pot shots at rugby league. As you said it is simply holding a grudge or grievance that readily provokes disputation. So DO the many rugby league fans have an obligation to ignore a blatant incorrect pot shot at the game they love? When they respond and provide information that proves the claim incorrect. Using your rationale, this by default gives them a chip on their shoulder? I think your rationale needs a rethink, otherwise everyone who disagrees or believes a statement to be incorrect or false has a chip on their shoulder.

On the forum but outside of this thread (which is at least in response to a dick media comment) there are thousands of unprovoked posts disparaging rugby union.

Canard

Immortal
On the forum but outside of this thread (which is at least in response to a dick media comment) there are thousands of unprovoked posts disparaging rugby union.

Did you observe this whilst driving in your Range Rover to your favourite hipster cafe?......