What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Panthers vs Storm

franklin2323

Immortal
Then im ok with it

In 2016 GF. Cam Smith made 65 tackles. Hughes is a makeshift half. Munster busted so the plan is belt them there and the ball doesn't get out wide for the speed.

I guess we see how it works but given the weather then seems like decent tactics

Pole

Juniors
Here is a Melbourne Storm fan take on the Grand Final via the The Graveyard Shift podcast

Youtube:

Soundcloud:

GongPanther

Referee
EkwZypBVcAYVAZv
That ring looks very unimpressive.

Pomoz

Bench
In 2016 GF. Cam Smith made 65 tackles. Hughes is a makeshift half. Munster busted so the plan is belt them there and the ball doesn't get out wide for the speed.

I guess we see how it works but given the weather then seems like decent tactics
If your inside info is right (I'm not questioning you, but insiders have been know to be wrong before), then it restores my faith in Cleary.

In my view, the thing he did wrong last week wasn't dropping Naden (May's try and try assist justify the decision), it was keeping Naden on the bench. In what universe was he ever going to get a run? That could have cost us dearly because when we were fatigued, South's started to find gaps in our defence. I get why he did it. He had the balls to put him on the bench, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave him out. Naden's reaction to his dropping was so good, he is clearly a likeable bloke. It was a sentimental decision on Cleary's part and one that has no place in implementing a strategy to win.

Olam is a big, strong geezer and May is equipped to handle him. Olam will try and run through May and find that May might not be Nigel Plum, but his defence is good enough.

Leniu coming on and running up the middle just continues what has worked best for us this year. There is a reason we made the most run metres of any team this year and its because our forwards, ably assisted by our two tractors on the wing, Mansour and Too, are fearsome rolling up the centre. You think "thank God Leota is off, I'm knackered" and then out comes Leniu running like a centre and smashing you in defence as well. It must be exhausting being on the end of the JFH, Tamou, Leota, Tetavano, Leniu rat a ta tat.

Last week, for reasons only known to Cleary, he thought we should try something different and have a bench with a spectator and a jockey filling two slots (don't get me wrong, I love Kenny, but his inclusion meant we had no grunt to come off the bench after the props rotated out).

With Capewell now on the bench, you have the perfect replacement for Kikau when he is tired. Spray his hands with chalk and tell him "repeat after me 100 times, I will not drop the ball".

Then it comes down to errors. Don't give easy ball to the Storm and they will be labouring to get out of their own end, just like South's were until we ran out of gas. Only this time our bench has four players, not three and three of the four are bruisers.

If we make few errors and kick for the corners, the Storm won't be able to unleash their undoubted speed. They'll be too busy trying just to get out of their own half and wishing Leniu wasn't so friggin strong.

Original Name

Juniors
Everyone knows defence wins premiership. It's not like playing May over Naden would be a surprise for anyone given that. I wonder if Ivan is only playing Tyone because he didn't give Whare any match fitness earlier.
He can play centre in a pinch, but he’s not a real utility. Smith can play hooker, lock, halves.

I dunno, I just think May’s best footy has been from the bench. Also been our best team. Weird to change up what’s worked.
May has played every position except prop and wing coming counting his time in the lower grades. I don't think Brandon Smith has ever even trained to play in the outside backs little alone started at centre multiple times. And May comes on all the time in the forwards in first grade. He's always coming on and playing lock or second row.

Everyone knows defence wins premiership. It's not like playing May over Naden would be a surprise for anyone given that. I wonder if Ivan is only playing Tyone because he didn't give Whare any match fitness earlier.

If May was a gun defender that might make sense, but he’s not. 75% tackle efficiency on the weekend, in the second half he looked particularly troubled.

May has played every position except prop and wing coming counting his time in the lower grades. I don't think Brandon Smith has ever even trained to play in the outside backs little alone started at centre multiple times.

I was referring to the bench, having someone come on fresh in a key position like hooker or lock is more of an advantage than shifting someone already out there.

franklin2323

Immortal
If your inside info is right (I'm not questioning you, but insiders have been know to be wrong before), then it restores my faith in Cleary.

In my view, the thing he did wrong last week wasn't dropping Naden (May's try and try assist justify the decision), it was keeping Naden on the bench. In what universe was he ever going to get a run? That could have cost us dearly because when we were fatigued, South's started to find gaps in our defence. I get why he did it. He had the balls to put him on the bench, but he just couldn't bring himself to leave him out. Naden's reaction to his dropping was so good, he is clearly a likeable bloke. It was a sentimental decision on Cleary's part and one that has no place in implementing a strategy to win.

Olam is a big, strong geezer and May is equipped to handle him. Olam will try and run through May and find that May might not be Nigel Plum, but his defence is good enough.

Leniu coming on and running up the middle just continues what has worked best for us this year. There is a reason we made the most run metres of any team this year and its because our forwards, ably assisted by our two tractors on the wing, Mansour and Too, are fearsome rolling up the centre. You think "thank God Leota is off, I'm knackered" and then out comes Leniu running like a centre and smashing you in defence as well. It must be exhausting being on the end of the JFH, Tamou, Leota, Tetavano, Leniu rat a ta tat.

Last week, for reasons only known to Cleary, he thought we should try something different and have a bench with a spectator and a jockey filling two slots (don't get me wrong, I love Kenny, but his inclusion meant we had no grunt to come off the bench after the props rotated out).

With Capewell now on the bench, you have the perfect replacement for Kikau when he is tired. Spray his hands with chalk and tell him "repeat after me 100 times, I will not drop the ball".

Then it comes down to errors. Don't give easy ball to the Storm and they will be labouring to get out of their own end, just like South's were until we ran out of gas. Only this time our bench has four players, not three and three of the four are bruisers.

If we make few errors and kick for the corners, the Storm won't be able to unleash their undoubted speed. They'll be too busy trying just to get out of their own half and wishing Leniu wasn't so friggin strong.

From what I got told was Leinu's covid test came back negative. So they dropped Hetherington from the 21. The next day for the captain's run he failed temperature checks.

So was sent home which then kept Naden in the 17 with the plan to get him on after 50 mins. Api and a few other unexpected interchanges put that to bed