What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GF Qualifer

MARSHALL ZHUKOV

Juniors
I was wondering if you beat the warriors how many of you would be travelling down to melbourne and what do you think the crowd will be numbers wise v if the game was played at anz instead- another gallop master stroke i reckon if you do get through to week 3 there will be less than 20k in melbourne to watch the game v 50k plus if played in sydney- is gallop seeking a job with the afl he seems to want to give them more and more ammo- many an article in melbourne/vic papers about the poor crowds at 2 of the week 1 finals of the nrl and gallops refusal to change

So you're saying that Melbourne, the minor premiers, should have to travel interstate to play a grand final qualifier against a team that finished 3 to 5 places lower then them on the ladder?

A little bit off topic...but just to compare with the super bowl... "No team has ever played the super bowl in their home town"..

I know with the NRL its a bit different....but why can't brisbane put in a bid to host the GF, whether or not a QLD is in it or not?? Isn't league like the biggest sport there too?? Hopefully one day (but i doubt it) the NRL is big enough in melbourne and NZ to host the GF too one day...

super_coach

First Grade
So you're saying that Melbourne, the minor premiers, should have to travel interstate to play a grand final qualifier against a team that finished 3 to 5 places lower then them on the ladder?

THEY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN HOME TOWN and GROUND ADVANTAGE, play the game in Canberra . If we were playing a Sydney team the game would be played at the SFS or ANZ. Even the Knights would be forced to play in Sydney if in the same situation. Anyway lets not forget we have to beat a very good football team this week before this becomes a problem. The old story one week at a time

Fast Eddie

First Grade
A little bit off topic...but just to compare with the super bowl... "No team has ever played the super bowl in their home town"..

I know with the NRL its a bit different....but why can't brisbane put in a bid to host the GF, whether or not a QLD is in it or not?? Isn't league like the biggest sport there too?? Hopefully one day (but i doubt it) the NRL is big enough in melbourne and NZ to host the GF too one day...

I reckon a GF final here could get 50-60 so on the way.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I live in Melb. If Tigers win this week, I will be going to the game here

super_coach

First Grade
Wont the game be at Etihad in Melb??

Okay, thought it was at Stormsville. Still a big advantage for Melbourne when you consider we both would have won two finals games. I stick with Canberra being a better venue considering both teams would be on equal grounds. Although if we get past the boys from the other side of the pond, I would rather play Storm in Melbourne than Manly or the Bronks where ever

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still a new south welshman, I don't indulge in victorianisms lol

THEY SHOULD NOT BE GIVEN HOME TOWN and GROUND ADVANTAGE, play the game in Canberra . If we were playing a Sydney team the game would be played at the SFS or ANZ. Even the Knights would be forced to play in Sydney if in the same situation. Anyway lets not forget we have to beat a very good football team this week before this becomes a problem. The old story one week at a time

Seems to me that someone is a little sore over certain teams not being able to get home QFs. To be honest, I understand where both sides are coming from, but I think that true home finals with STRONG incentives to go to a larger stadium when required is a better idea. But again, I can still live with Home City finals in Weeks One and Two.

In any given year, there are three possible types of preliminary finals matches. Matches between two NSW sides, one NSW team and one interstate team and matches between two interstate teams. If all Week Three games are scheduled in advance for Sydney, the NRL may very well have problems.

Two local teams playing is of course not a problem.

One local team and one out of town team could very easily end up like the Manly/Cowboys match from last week--though I would be certain that most games would draw more than that. Though I shudder at the thought of a Cronulla/Manly GF qualifier.

Then there is the big honking flaw in your plan. How many people would really go to a Melbourne/Brisbane preliminary final? (yes, I know they can't play this year)

Scheduling all finals matches in Sydney creates the problem of low attended games and gives ALL Sydney teams an unfair advantage of being hundreds if not thousands of kilometres closer to their supporters than any interstate opponent. Any neutral finals have the possibility of attracting few people because those teams have low local support.

I wouldn't object to neutral finals if there was a way to hype them up and guarantee the crowds, but I don't think such a way exists. The only real option for all finals before the Grand Final to be at least in the home region (or better yet, city) of one of the team competing teams.

moller

Juniors
Should we make it (touch wood), game will be at AAMI Park on the Saturday night. And I'll see you there.

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
A sharks v manly gf qualifier would draw a massive crowd. It may seem a long time ago, but 1978 is still fresh in their minds

bjm8

Juniors
As far as I'm concerned Melbourne have no more of a right to a home game in week 3 then the Tigers or Warriors do. They've just followed a different path to get there. Placings mean nothing anymore. Winner = GF. Loser = Mad monday.

As far as I'm concerned Melbourne have no more of a right to a home game in week 3 then the Tigers or Warriors do. They've just followed a different path to get there. Placings mean nothing anymore. Winner = GF. Loser = Mad monday.

So where should the game be played? A "neutral" Sydney where it would be a virtual home final for Wests or a game that might draw 20k if its Melbourne v. Warriors? How about we schedule it for Suncorp as a test to see how passionate Queenslanders are about league? Or maybe Perth so neither team can claim anything resembling an advantage?

I wouldn't object to neutral finals, in an ideal world where they could be truly neutral and have filled grounds. But this isn't the real world. I just checked wikipedia, so the numbers may be wrong, but neutral finals involving two interstate teams in Sydney average under 20,000 fans a match. It seems that the NRL recognized this by moving a final from Sydney to Townsville to get a crowd and then changing the rules the next year (2004?)

I may have the numbers off. But, sadly, the NRL doesn't seem guaranteed to bring in a decent crowd if it scheduled truly neutral finals. And scheduling "neutral" finals in Sydney is unfair in every situation that does not involve two Sydney teams.

Can someone please explain how SFS and ANZ are neutral stadiums for the nine teams that are within an hour or two of those grounds?

weretiger

Juniors
if its good enough to play the grand final in sydney where the comp started not in melbourne where they dont give a stuff about rugby league its good enough to play the semi's in sydney. the storm is only a put together side to please news limited there is no real fan base, should have been kicked out when they cheated.

Latest posts