What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Giants and Nathan Brown

grandorient

Bench
I don't think for a moment that Brownie is a coach to be able to nurture young talent.

Having said that, I think he will go ok in the UK.

GO

watatank

Coach
I don't think for a moment that Brownie is a coach to be able to nurture young talent.

Having said that, I think he will go ok in the UK.

GO

I think you can doubt all you like about Brown, but I don't think anyone can doubt his ability to nurture young talent which is IMO his biggest strength. I always thought he would make a brilliant Toyota Cup coach but obviously its a step back from what he is doing now...

Go Nulla

Bench
Troll stages:

1. He starts trying to hijack other threads.... this is where it begins....
2. Next, like the hypocrite, he'll whinge about equally dopey trolls in the sharks forum.
3. Then he'll cry foul.
4. Then he'll just cry...

And then he laughs at you and all other Stain supporters lol.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
farty,

brown is a gambler, so it will be a case of .... go big or go home.
Problem is gamblers will always claim that they break even, but the truth is they usually fall short of recouping their losses.

In the John Travolta movie, A Civil Action, there was only one person that thought gambling was a good investment. I recall that he went insane in the end.

j0nesy

Bench
Problem is gamblers will always claim that they break even, but the truth is they usually fall short of recouping their losses.

In the John Travolta movie, A Civil Action, there was only one person that thought gambling was a good investment. I recall that he went insane in the end.

There's a fine line between gambling and investing, as evidenced by the current state of the financial market. IMO Browny had a tendancy to cross that line, and spit on it in the process. Rogers anyone?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well there comes a point when you know the odds are well in favour of the table and its time for a more conservative response.

We all gamble, be it at the track or in the real estate market. But when the stakes are high, a less frivolous approach is required.

It is a matter of opinion if Brownie was taking a serious gamble, or showing a cavalier attitude towards responsibility in his final days at St George.

Last edited:

j0nesy

Bench
Yeah I couldn't see Bennett taking too many high-risk, high stake gambles. That's partly why I think Bennett is a good manager and Brown is a good coach.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well Bennett took a great high risk gamble when he brought Langer back.

I suppose there is a differnce between creative gamblers and those that throw darts while blind folded.

j0nesy

Bench
True. :lol:

Bennett had good reason to have faith in Langer, Langer had a history of stepping up in big games despite his size. Whereas Rogers had one decent game against a piss poor Parramatta side.

Jasdragon

Juniors
Brown is a Dragon through and through and therefore pal I'd be counting the days until he leaves. Just like the Stains supporters having been doing this year. He is useless.

I recall the scum trying to buy him from us years ago. :lol: Browny was to good a human being/ player to lower himself, by going to the scum!

Last edited:

Willow

Assistant Moderator
True. :lol:

Bennett had good reason to have faith in Langer, Langer had a history of stepping up in big games despite his size. Whereas Rogers had one decent game against a piss poor Parramatta side.
I went to the Brookvale game, had a beaut time meeting up with few forummer folk including Rexxy and Preacher.

Having to fly down, I missed most of the news during the day and went in fairly green. When the team was warming up pre-match, I stood there still thinking that Brown surely must have seen sense and we'd see Soward out there.

But no such luck, Rogers was practicing just in front of the goal line, throwing forward passes to Hornby. I muttered some expletive, and then made sure I had a drink in my hand for the rest of the night.

Last edited:
I think its pretty easy to assess Browny's coaching ability.

When it was clear that he was to be replaced by Bennett, were any other NRL clubs putting out feelers for his services for next year?

Nope. The silence was deafening. You could hear the crickets....

Other clubs looking for a coach have opted for Neil Henry, David Furner, Ivan Henjak and Kevin Moore as their new head coach for next year. Brown had no alternative but to look overseas.

I can't believe he actually got the Huddersfield gig ahead of other contenders such as Folkes, who at least had a premiership win in his resume'. (I know, he has a spoon as well now.....)

When Browny took over from Farrer in '03, the playing roster gradually improved. But the quality of the coaching didn't.

Last edited:

watatank

Coach
I think its pretty easy to assess Browny's coaching ability.

When it was clear that he was to be replaced by Bennett, were any other NRL clubs putting out feelers for his services for next year?

Nope. The silence was deafening. You could hear the crickets....

Other clubs looking for a coach have opted for Neil Henry, David Furner and Kevin Moore as their new head coach for next year. Brown had no alternative but to look overseas.

I can't believe he actually got the Huddersfield gig ahead of other contenders such as Folkes, who at least had a premiership win in his resume'. (I know, he has a spoon as well now.....)

When Browny took over from Farrer in '03, the playing roster gradually improved. But the quality of the coaching didn't.

Henry, Furner and Moore were "assistants" (these days co-coach) in their respective sides so have history with the teams and the clubs obviously looked for stability. The Dragons went the other way and went for radical change.

As for the playing roster improving, that was largely due to Brown.

I agree, Brown improved our roster, but he couldn't make it deliver.

Even this year - our squad was the equal of Manly, and far better than the Scum. And we had a fairly light injury toll, but only just fell into the 8 and went out 1st week.

I can defend his recruitment skills, but not his ability as a motivator and coach.

SET2JT

Juniors
i dont think our roster improved under brown. he had an awsome team 2 start with.the team that we have next year i belive is the best since 99. the last five years we have relied on our starting 17 a lot but next year we have so much depth. also in the time brown was coach we had a lot of individual stars which were so predictable in attack and i belive our coach never gave them a game plan. we looked more dangerous from 50m out than 20m out.