What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley and Tahu combination

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
I knew they had a combo at the Knights and i once rated Gidley as my most over-rated player in the game (Hodges has since taken over).

If they both weren't there last night QLD would have won easily. They kept NSW in the game with their blindside plays and Wing created an overlap for Tahus second try which was the only help from a different player other than Gidley and Tahu.

Well done boys.

astrogirl

First Grade
pepstar - they are something special aren't they :D More so in attack, though I guess any deficiencies they might have in defence are negated by their attacking ability.

astrogirl

First Grade
You are entitled to your opinion hybrid_tiger - it just happens that I don't agree with you...

hybrid_tiger said:
Am I the only one who thinks they are both overated?

I rate them both individually as fair-good players, Gidley say a 7 out of 10 and Tahu a 6.5-7...but as a combination they are peerless in the game at this stage. They obviously know each others game inside out and never fail to impress on any stage they are on.

When they are without the other however, they can appear mediocre at times.

astrogirl said:
pepstar - they are something special aren't they :D More so in attack, though I guess any deficiencies they might have in defence are negated by their attacking ability.

yes they are something special
they were pretty dam good yesterday.........no way over-rated!!! they rok! as indivuals and a team 8)

Tupac Shakur

First Grade
hybrid_tiger said:
Am I the only one who thinks they are both overated?

Well i used to think they were over-rated too, especially Gidley. But the last few weeks Gidley has been impressive and last night just made me think about how good he actually is. Their combination is lethal.

ngunity

Juniors
I used to think Gidley was absurdely over-rated, I've never had much against Tomata ;-) 'cause he's so fast and try-scorin'-prolific

Anyway recently it seems Gidley has learned to defend MUCH better than in the past, probably due to experience and effort

I still don't think M. Gidley is in the top 5 centres in Aus. but he's making me a believer slowly but surely. I don't know that he's an offensive force without Tamana outside him but, his defense is becoming VERY solid

oldmancraigy

Coach
ngunity said:
Anyway recently it seems Gidley has learned to defend MUCH better than in the past, probably due to experience and effort

I don't know that he's an offensive force without Tamana outside him but, his defense is becoming VERY solid

Did you just say M Gidley is strong defensively?????

PLEASE watch the Origin game again - Willie Tonga goes right past him on a couple of occasions without even being touched! Every time Tonga touched the ball my heart was in my mouth because I kenw Gidley was no chance of stopping him - and he didn't!

As for his attacking skills - they're good, but I wouldn't say great! He's lost a bit in that regard, but can still put Tahu away with the spectacular flick pass!!

As for Timana: he IS over-rated!! The guy has chronic dropsies!! And he lacks natural sense in carrying the ball - last night, if he carries the ball in his right hand (closer to the sideline) rather than the left (closer to the tackler) then he scores a try in the corner instead of dropping it in the in-goal... Mind you, he is fantastic on his feet and makes the most of opportunities in the open-field - I just don't think he's good enough to be playing SofO this year...

Godz Illa

Coach
thuganomics said:
Matt Gidley best winger going around. His defence has realyl improved over the offseason.
I thought he was a centre. I guess without his flick pass he'd be a winger - at best. He is over-rated. Tonga and Slater made both he and Tahu look very amateurish at times in defence. There seemed to be acres of space. And on Carlaw's try he feigned a shepherd instead of trying to chase the man down and tackle him, which I thought was quite a feeble effort.

astrogirl

First Grade
Godz Illa said:
thuganomics said:
Matt Gidley best winger going around. His defence has realyl improved over the offseason.
I thought he was a centre. I guess without his flick pass he'd be a winger - at best. He is over-rated. Tonga and Slater made both he and Tahu look very amateurish at times in defence. There seemed to be acres of space. And on Carlaw's try he feigned a shepherd instead of trying to chase the man down and tackle him, which I thought was quite a feeble effort.
All 4 players on that side - Gids, Tahu, Tonga and Slater - have great attacking ability and possibly not so good defensively. You say that Tonga and Slater made Gids and Tahu "look very amateurish at times in defence". Well I'd say Gids and Tahu did the same to Tonga and Slater.

princessjen

Juniors
I agree astrogirl. Tonga and Slater often got through Gids and Tahu, but Tahu and Gids often got through Tonga and Slater

thuganomics

Coach
It will be intresting if Tonga gets a game in Origin 3 with Tate coming back. I doubt Bowman will get dropped, he was one of their best on the night.

aqua_duck

Coach
Godz Illa said:
Tonga and Slater made both he and Tahu look very amateurish at times in defence.
Well you can say that Slater and Tonga looked pretty ordinary in defence as well, Tahu's seond try was possible only because Tonga came in when everyone knows that if your a winger yyou never come into Matt Gidley but because he came in it gave Tahu a open passage, also to the end of the 1st half when NSW spread the ball, tahu got it ran about 10 metres and then proceeded to use Billy Slater as a speedbump, knocked Slater head over heels, also in the 1st half Nathan Hindmarsh made a break down that side, how did he make the break? He put a 'in and away' on Willie Tonga, and ran 70m, and lets remember Nathan Hindmarsh is a 2nd rower. Hardly efficient defence.

Godz Illa said:
There seemed to be acres of space.
That's because the defence was so compressed, to QLD credit they spread the ball well.

RB30DETT

Juniors
aqua_duck said:
Godz Illa said:
Tonga and Slater made both he and Tahu look very amateurish at times in defence.
Well you can say that Slater and Tonga looked pretty ordinary in defence as well, Tahu's seond try was possible only because Tonga came in when everyone knows that if your a winger yyou never come into Matt Gidley but because he came in it gave Tahu a open passage, also to the end of the 1st half when NSW spread the ball, tahu got it ran about 10 metres and then proceeded to use Billy Slater as a speedbump, knocked Slater head over heels, also in the 1st half Nathan Hindmarsh made a break down that side, how did he make the break? He put a 'in and away' on Willie Tonga, and ran 70m, and lets remember Nathan Hindmarsh is a 2nd rower. Hardly efficient defence.

Godz Illa said:
There seemed to be acres of space.
That's because the defence was so compressed, to QLD credit they spread the ball well.

IT was Slater who came in on Gidley, not Tonga.

IF your going to bag someone, make sure you bag them for something they actually did, not something you thought they did. :roll: