What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley IS a hooker

Hanscholo

Bench
I've been saying it for 5 years and last nights origin performance just re-enforced what i have always thought. Kurt Gidley is a hooker.

I thought he really sparked the NSW attack last night, with his energy and his options. Had Will Hopoate not gone off with an injury I think Kurt would have forced Ennis onto the bench for the remainder of the game, such was his impact.

I think Kurts best asset - his astonishing work rate is wasted at fullback, and i think he crabs sideways as a half or 5/8, but when he goes to dummy half the bloke plays straight and looks very comfortable.

Not sure what Wayne plans to do, but id love to see Gidley given time to develop himself there.

billy2

Juniors
He is in the top 5 fullbacks in the game easily.

He has been in the top 5 5/8s in the game and could be again if he played there regularly.

He is a firstgrade standard halfback.

He is a rep standard hooker despite having L plates on still.

I've never seen him play 80 minutes at lock, but I reckon he could do it for Australia tomorrow and not let anyone down.

He is a coach's dream. The player who can play any of the core positions and do it really well.

Hopefully when Wayne comes, barring injury, gids can consistantly play 1 position and learn the trade. He is a gun and as has been said time and time again he is sometimes a victim of his own versatility. He's a jack of all trades. Truly one of the greatest knights players of all time.

He excelled at hooker last night, didnt try to play his hand too much. He stuck to what IMO is his best assett, his work ethic. He is such a tenacious footy player and contests everything. When he has good players around him he doesn't try and do everything and picks his moments wisely. Sometimes at the knights as we all know he can try too hard.

Gids deserves a premiership at the club he will play out his career with.

Joker's Wild

Coach
Hayne, Slater, Stewart, Boyd, Dugan.

I could probably name a couple more I'd pick before Gids after that.

Gordon

As a pure fullback these blokes beat him out but he is in a league of his own with his versatility. I guess it comes from him having to work so hard at being good instead of relying on natural talent that he can learn new positions so quickly.

Thought he was good at left centre last night too when he filled in for Hoppa.

strewth_mate

Bench
Did quite well at first receiver last night too on a couple of occasions. Nobody wants him in the halves but at least it shows he can provide something useful outside of a pure hooking role.

Looks like he had more 'possessions' than anyone else for the Blues as well. Probably one of the few occasions where this did more harm than good, I'd say...

Apey

Staff member
Still think he needs to work on his distribution a little but agree that hooker is looking like his best spot.

As strewth said, he was good at first receiver when he found himself in that position.

Talanexor

Juniors
1. Boyd
6. Roberts
7. Mullen
9. Gidley

For the record, I said that Gidley should be NSW hooker from the start of this series. He offers more out of dummy half - and gives fewer penalties - than Ennis. Besides, when you've got Luke Lewis in your team, you don't need another utility.

Yosh

Coach
Been saying for YEARS that hooker is his best spot! Looks like I was right all along. Pity I was so wrong about everything else eh?

woodyk2

First Grade
I reckon fullback isnt his spot....can play 5/8...half and hooker with ease with hooker looking like his best spot to me. As someone stated...a genuine coaches dream.

Byron Knight

Juniors
1. Boyd
6. Roberts
7. Mullen
9. Gidley

For the record, I said that Gidley should be NSW hooker from the start of this series. He offers more out of dummy half - and gives fewer penalties - than Ennis. Besides, when you've got Luke Lewis in your team, you don't need another utility.

The more I look at this, the more I can see it. With Beau moving on, my first thought was salary cap and that Gidley was a certainty for the halves. My main worry was whether Roberts could handle a full season of first grade. I suppose we are about to find out really. Perhaps Bennett is thinking "let's see how the kid goes until the end of the year and if he's good enough, our spine looks like the above.

OR

Roberts is just covering for injuries and Gids to 7 (a la Hornby) is the way it will go.

Option 1 is appealing though, has to be said.

Warrior@Heart

Juniors
I think the only reason people didn't really rate him as a centre was because his brother was so good and they compared the two. He's a pretty good centre imo but he could be a great 80 minute hooker if he just had a full season there.

Joker's Wild

Coach
I think he just lacks a bit of pace to be a really good centre. He is explosive off the mark though which suits hooker more

88.Knights

Juniors
havn't been joking when i said he was nsw best hooker in last years series and sparked the team again last night when he came on.

he's also played at centre in a couple of australia games as well as last night and doesn't look outa place at all.

gidley to hooker next year for me, and i'm starting to dislike the thought of bedsy comin in next year, we don't need him. with gids at hooker ur not gonna bench him so u'd have to take off roberts n meh, hilder can play backrow and can cover hooker if anything goes wrong. that'll only work if gids plays hooker tho.

Johns Magic

Referee
havn't been joking when i said he was nsw best hooker in last years series and sparked the team again last night when he came on.

he's also played at centre in a couple of australia games as well as last night and doesn't look outa place at all.

gidley to hooker next year for me, and i'm starting to dislike the thought of bedsy comin in next year, we don't need him. with gids at hooker ur not gonna bench him so u'd have to take off roberts n meh, hilder can play backrow and can cover hooker if anything goes wrong. that'll only work if gids plays hooker tho.

There's no reason Gids couldn't shift to a Luke Lewis lock role for 30 minutes a game while Bedsy comes on and does his thang.

88.Knights

Juniors
There's no reason Gids couldn't shift to a Luke Lewis lock role for 30 minutes a game while Bedsy comes on and does his thang.

yeh ur right, i'll just say im not fussed if bedsy comes and not fussed if he doesn't.

just as long as gids is hooker and roberts n mullo r in the halves:D, and no injuries to change that, a stable spine for a year and were definate top 4.:D:D

Latest posts