What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gidley rested to recharge batteries

Pumba

First Grade
Gidley rested to recharge batteries
BY ROBERT DILLON

NEWCASTLE Knights linchpin Kurt Gidley has been given the week off training in a bid to freshen up mentally and physically for the crucial run into the NRL play-offs.

Gidley has copped a battering in the past two games and Knights coach Brian Smith, in consultation with rehabilitation co-ordinator Adrian Brough, offered the Kangaroos utility a chance to take a break and recharge his batteries.

The 25-year-old has played in 15 of Newcastle's 19 games this season, as well as a Test match and two games in the State of Origin series.

His only respite, if it can be called that, was while he was recovering from a broken cheekbone.

Gidley was knocked out by a high shot from Parramatta's Weller Hauraki on Monday night and also finished the match with a corked thigh.

The previous week, against South Sydney, he played despite the inconvenience of back spasms.

The last thing the Knights need is their No.1 game-breaker suffering from burnout at such a crucial stage of the season, so he was excused from training sessions on Wednesday and yesterday and will not return until tomorrow morning.

"I've been involved in most of the training sessions all year, and also Origin, so they just thought a few days off would help give me a bit of a freshen-up," Gidley said yesterday.

"I've just been taking it easy. I've still got to get physio on my thigh, but other than that I've just been hanging around."

Injury problems, rather than any confidence crisis, have been the reason that Gidley has handed over the goalkicking duties midway through Newcastle's wins against the Rabbitohs and Eels.

Tightness in his lower back restricted him against Souths, and he landed only one goal from four attempts, eventually handing the job to halfback Scott Dureau.

On Monday night, he had kicked two from four when he was left dazed by Hauraki's dubious hit.

"After I got knocked out, I thought there was no point having another crack at it," he said.

"I thought I may as well let one of the other boys do it.

"I was still a bit concussed and that doesn't help your goalkicking at all.

"Your focus obviously isn't 100 per cent when you cop a knock like that."

Gidley, who has kicked 40 goals from 59 attempts this season at 67.8 per cent, was confident there would be no need to share the kicking duties in Monday night's crucial clash with Gold Coast at Skilled Park.

"I enjoy the goalkicking and I'll be getting back in and doing a bit of practice this week, once I'm over this cork," he said.

Meanwhile, Knights stategic development officer Keith Onslow has kicked off contract negotiations with in-form interchange forward Mark Taufua.

Taufua, a free agent at season's end, has played four successive games in first grade and given Newcastle extra sting off the bench.

The former Newcastle rugby union back-rower, who scored his maiden NRL try against the Eels, is also understood to have attracted attention from union clubs overseas.

Onslow said Taufua's management had given the Knights a ballpark figure that the club was considering.

Two of Newcastle's other off-contract forwards, Matt White and Jesse Royal, might not yet be lost to the Knights.

Knights officials announced recently that they would not be retaining White and Royal, who are both trying to find new clubs.

But it is understood that if either of them were unable to secure a contract elsewhere, the Knights would be interested in signing them, albeit at reduced rates.

Whether White or Royal would consider taking a pay cut is another matter altogether.

White is at least in the shop window, having spent the past four games playing strongly in the top grade.

His opportunity has ironically come at the expense of Royal, who has spent the past month on the sidelines with a knee injury.

Link

roopy

Referee
I thought it meant rested from a game for a minute.
As much work as he does in games, he probably doesn't need to train much.

Adsy

Juniors
I heard Taufua has been offered $1.5 million a season to play for Toulon. :sarcasm:

Stranger

Coach
I was offered 400k to go to French Rugby as a referee...

Turns out there is loyalty left in league... :shock:

Jono078

Referee
Wow so Taufua is off aswell!

Definitely need 1 of them.

Personally I think White has good potential to do all the hard yards. I hear Taufua is best athlete within the forwards, but if like to see a bit more from him in matches.

I think White will go elsewhere because there would be some interest in him.

Adsy

Juniors
I was offered 400k to go to French Rugby as a referee...

Turns out there is loyalty left in league... :shock:

Maybe they just havn't offered you the right price Stranger.

Here's 2 million dollars + those french birds hanging out with Ritchie Benaud. Still loyal?

Spike

First Grade
I can't see White and Royal being on that much money now, so I don't know how much of a pay cut they can take from them.

Joker's Wild

Coach
White for mine. He is younger and runs very hard at the line. Jesse has a good offload but that is not so important in a frontrower.

Id like to keep both though ftw.

keeney

First Grade
Royal's work off the ball is as good as any, he's missed like 3 tackles all year, with one of the best work rates at the club.

Having said that, White has a great hitup. I'm prepared to lose both, would be stoked if we can keep one.

roopy

Referee
We have three props who are too old for NYC next year - Joel Edwards, Scott Dobbins and Sione Tovo.
We have 3 props in NSW cup who haven't gone up this year - Natusch, Asa and Finefuaki.
If we have Cross, Tolar, Faoaso and Wicks as our firstgrade 4 - Tuafua, Natusch, Edwards, Finefuaki as our NSW cup 4 - that leaves Dobbins, Tovo and Asa as cover for injuries.
If we sign White and Royal at reduced rates we probably lose Tovo and Asa - I'm fine with that.

roopy

Referee
is timmy showing any signs of stepping up soon roops?
He is improving rapidly. When he came back from his back injury he was terrible for a few games, but him and Jacob Ling are our best in NSW cup now - I'd put Ling slightly ahead.

roopy

Referee
Tovo is a hack
He seemed to be first choice prop in NYC early in the year - and lucky to get a game now.
Dobbins is a guy i can see developing into something special.
He switched from second row to prop this season - and even though he represented NSW at under 17s and 19s as a second rower, i think he always had a prop's game. He has always been a hard yards, no nonsense runner and a dominant tackler of other forwards.
He is Steve Simpson size and build, lean and boney but big enough to play prop.
He hasn't got great skills but he is mobile and works hard. A bit more size and strength should come in the off season - then a year of reggies to develop a few more off loading skills and he could be an honest toiler like Tolar or Royal.
He doesn't get talked about a lot because nothing he does is 'flashy', but he is the honest sort of footballer you build a team around and close to our most capped junior at the moment.

Latest posts