What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gillespie Scores Test DOUBLE Century

Earl

Coach
Thought this deserved a thread of its own. :D

Sure it was against Bangladesh, but try telly Dizzy that. Couldn't of happened to a more likable player IMO.

JASON Gillespie completed an epic maiden Test century in the second Test against Bangladesh in Chittagong today, moving to three figures just before rain washed out the entire final session.

Gillespie, 30, has been in sparkling form since being recalled to the national side a fortnight ago for the two-Test series against the whipping boys of world cricket.

The South Australian is averaging more than 130 with the bat and less than 10 with the ball this series.

Gillespie (102 not out) and Mike Hussey (93 not out) were unbeaten as Australia moved into a powerful position at 3-364, a lead of 167 runs, at tea on day three at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium.

Rain showers during the interval washed out the final session of the day.
He punched spinner Abdur Razzak through cover for four to bring up his first ton in his 71st Test outing.

In doing so, he became the first Australian nightwatchman to score a Test century since Tony Mann struck 105 against India at the WACA Ground in 1977.

The renowned dawdler with the bat took six and a half hours to post three figures, and he seemed too tired for a theatrical celebration such as when he rode his bat down the wicket after scoring his first Test fifty.

He simply punched the air and produced a beaming smile for his teammates in the dressing room.

Gillespie hit 17 fours in his 296-ball hundred, and his teammates had watched nervously as he spent about half an hour in the 90s.

Gillespie's previous best test score was his 54 not out against New Zealand in 2004-2005.

Hussey meanwhile feasted on the Bangladesh attack, scoring at will as he put on 154 with Gillespie for the fourth wicket.

The innings continued the West Australian's brilliant start to his Test career after making his debut just five months ago.

The classy left hander started reverse sweeping later in his innings, he and Gillespie grinding the home side into the dust as lightning flashed around the ground before tea.

Gillespie's innings enhanced the prospects of Australia playing five bowlers during the Ashes series, with the likes of himself and Brett Lee capable of contributing with the bat down the order.

At the very least, his innings reminded selectors of the popular player's value to a side after having been dropped during the Ashes series in England last year.

He enjoyed a life on 44 when Bangladesh wicketkeeper Khaled Mashud dropped him off the bowling of left-arm spinner Mohammad Rafiques.
After resuming at 2-151, Australia captain Ricky Ponting (52) and Gillespie steered the visitor beyond Bangladesh's first innings of 197 before the skipper was run out.

Ponting took off on a short single after Gillespie pushed a Mohammad Rafique ball behind point.
The regular tailender sent Ponting back, but Abdur Razzak swept in from point and his direct hit found the captain well short of his crease.

0,8659,18850449-23212,00.html

Onya Dizzy :D

Leethal

Juniors
Goddamn!! I sat there for two hours waiting to see if Dizz would get 100. He got to 98 and the phone rang. Had to pick up the missus and missed the big moment.

SPEWIN!!

Well done Dizz!!

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I saw it, he was wrapped when he got his ton

like the comentators kept saying, he values his wicket, more so then some batsmen who are more intent on scoring runs quickly

James_Hardie

Juniors
If they continue batting tomorrow morning, which you would imagine they will even if only for a short period, Dizzy will have batted for 4 days in this test!

Well done Dizzy

James_Hardie said:
If they continue batting tomorrow morning, which you would imagine they will even if only for a short period, Dizzy will have batted for 4 days in this test!

Well done Dizzy

Correct and if it gets to the 5th day. He will have been on the field in part on all 5 days of the match.

JJ

Immortal
aussies1st said:
No horse riding this time huh? ;-)

shame, even as a kiwi I though that was good sh*t...

he's one up on McGrath now - has Gillespie ever got a first-class century?

I hate to say this, but he's got to be one of the most ordinary batsmen to ever get a test century - the good thing is bowlers usually have to earn his wicket.

Shame for him that none of you (and few if his teammates) think stats against Bangladesh should count :(

Macca

Coach
Firstly congratulations to Diz on the ton.

The runs he has scored in this dig will always be the focus. A test ton for a nightwatchmen is a rarity as you all know. I think the bigger feat for Dizzy was facing 300 deliveries. That's 50 overs on strike. Bloody amazing for a bloke of his ability, the concentration needed draws parallels with double centuries I have seen scored on the sub continent by batsmen in that sapping heat.

Well done son. Well done.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
this is gonna test out his fitness when he has to bowl later today

Earl

Coach
Not a bad match so far.

102* and 3/11. Was ripped off too, deserved another spell.

JJ

Immortal
Earl said:
Not a bad match so far.

102* and 3/11. Was ripped off too, deserved another spell.

yes, but your captain seems to have a minimal understanding of organising a bowling attack

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
yes, but your captain seems to have a minimal understanding of organising a bowling attack

Or he didn't need him JJ! We rolled them for under 200, why risk Dizzy getting injured!:D

The Colonel

Immortal
JJ said:
shame, even as a kiwi I though that was good sh*t...

he's one up on McGrath now - has Gillespie ever got a first-class century?

I hate to say this, but he's got to be one of the most ordinary batsmen to ever get a test century - the good thing is bowlers usually have to earn his wicket.

Dizzy hasn't ever scored a first class century. I was hoping for a return of the "horsey ride"......

He's one up on a lot of players - Lee, Warne, Hughes and Reiffel are/were all much better with the bat but have never acheived the ton.