What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Girls at footy games

Surandy

Bench
gaterooze said:
But from my experience (mostly in Newcastle), women/girls make up almost half of the crowd, I'd estimate 40%. That includes a lot of teeny-boppers and a bunch of grannies. I will say that away team fans seem to be mostly male, however.

As a Storm traveller I've noticed that the split of supporters is about 50/50 but I'm not surprised that most away team fans are male given that two out of the last three matches I went to involved home team supporters throwing bottles or cans at the female away supporters. It also sucks when this happens right in front of security guards and they don't do a thing about it.

SP

Bench
when i used to go to Penrith home games, there used to be heaps of chicks there, im unsure if any went to actually watch the game or do other stuff

Pazza

First Grade
The Sharks do their bit with pretty boys like Sully, Birdy and Matt Hilder. Parramatta only have Michael Witt and John Morris.

Dont forget Burt, Vaealiki, Grothe, Armit

gaterooze

Bench
That's what I thought... so the papers are full of it when they say NRL crowds are nearly all male. We have about the same split as AFL and (supposedly) Union, it seems from actual first-hand experience here.

brook

First Grade
I think it does depend on the club

certain clubs (especially penrith and newcastle) seem to me to have an unusually high number of female supporters

in others its pretty low - I don't think the number is anywhere near as high for the tigers (although many of the most dedicated supporters I know are women they are outnumbered in the total fan base)

I don't think league can do too much to attract more female supporters (REAL supporters not those just there for the guys) 'cause in most houses its the mothers that end up with the final say on which sport their kids play - I know too many women who have banned their kids from playing league because its 'not safe' while those of us who know and love the game are much less likely to have that (false) opinion.

wittyfan

Referee
AFL do a lot more marketing towards women with their Men For All Seasons calendars and Players Nights. League does a little of bit of that sort of stuff but probably not enough.

Surandy

Bench
sullyfan said:
PARRA_FAN said:
They come to the games, cause of the good looking footballers. So I reckon get all the pretty boys in the NRL, so we get more chicks. :D

The Sharks do their bit with pretty boys like Sully, Birdy and Matt Hilder. Parramatta only have Michael Witt and John Morris.

The young female Storm fans love Billy Slater, Cameron Smith and Matt King to name just three.

drake

First Grade
AFl is definately more appealing to women, it's softer, the men wear singlets and short shorts, jump up in the air and hug each other instead of tackling. :lol:
My brother is gay, and he says that he watches NRL for sport, and AFL for eye candy.
I've seen a lot of women\girls at Dragons games, and there seems to be an even split between footy fans and posuers looking for attention.
I'll yell with the girls in the jerseys during the game, and perve on the posuers before and after.
When my wife doesn't come with me. :|

*Sandy*

First Grade
I've never noticed girls doing the laps... :? Maybe that's because i am more interested in what is happening on field rather than off! :D

I'm not sure about the ratio of women to men. But i think it's improving each year. As long as the NRL do not get too carried away with advertising to get more females at games and lose focus on what footy thrives on -- their junior base.

At Henson Park we have heaps of chicks going to the games, but most of them like other chicks who are bulit like brick sh*t-houses with a shaved head and tatt's! But they are there to support the Jets, so I don't care who they like, as long as they like the Jets!

Latest posts