What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give Burt the goalkicking role.

Avenger

Immortal
People have argued that Burt is a confidence type player. Although I'm not his greatest fan I actually agree. I remember a game back in 2000 when Burt made a break, for Kidwell to score a try in the corner on a wet night against the Northern eagles. Burt then calmly slotted the goal from the side line to win us the game.

Bearing this in mind I believe Burt should be given the goal kicking duties as he will always get more game time then Riddell and in my opinion is a better goal kicker anyway.

eelandia

Juniors
In regards to confidence, he started the year so well last year at fullback until he got injured (i think) and was then shuffled around. I truly believe he is quality but has never been able to settle in any position.
Kicking might get him more involved in general play too as he'd feel more important to the team.

strider

Post Whore
yeah - last year burty was on fire until the knights game where he was carving them up and he made a break and should have passed, but instead buderus put a huge hit on him and knocked the stuffing out of him - i believe he lost some form after that.

and the season before, he was deadset our best player (hindy was injured) - until burt got injured and didn't play the rest of the season.

lets hope he can settle in well on the wing and have a great season

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
He's gotta cement his spot in the team first

I agree he is a good kicker, so is Piggy and Tim Smith.

Mr_E

Juniors
Not sure how good he is, but wasn't he the regular kicker for the Premmies last year?

Hurriflatch

Referee
Timmy is a confidence goalkicker

if he gets a difficult one early then he won't miss all day
if he misses a sitter early he'll be lucky to end with 1 from 20

Glenn

First Grade
Personally rate Riddell as the better goal kicker out of the two, IMHO probably looking at something like Riddell as No.1 goal kicker and Burty slotting in when Riddell is off the field

Utey

Coach
Burt is a descent kicker, but have Riddell there. His pretty much guarenteed a spot in the side. IMO Burt hasnt cemented his spot with plenty on his tail.

strider

Post Whore
Go with Burt #1 goalkicker - cos DAMN I want to see a bloody Parra player in the top point scores list in the paper for a change - and burty is more likely to be on the field all game and getting a few meat pies to add to the tally.

Apparently during one of the trials, Luke's father told me at Fan Day, Burt was told that Riddell was going to be given the kicking duties for the game, and if he missed a couple then Burt would be given the job. So Riddell goes and nails two in a row from the sidelines and now Riddell is the kicker, lol.

Stagger eel

Staff member
in general there's not much between Pig and Burty in terms of Goal kicking but Burty does have the edge on the left side.

fish eel

Immortal
We're pretty blessed.

Both options and then Tim Smith are better than JOhnny Simon!

Anyone remember that home game v St George, just before the finals a few years back. We scored 3 tries to one, I think and it was a 12 all draw!

bartman

Immortal
Riddell will be kicker. If he's off target, not hitting em right etc, then Burt may get a shot. Similarly he'll probably step in when Riddell's off the field.

But, Burt should not be no 1 kicker, because to me the naming of Petersen in the 19 for Round 1 shows that Smith believes a backline spot is still very much up for grabs week to week? Burt (along with everyone) has to perform in his general play to make sure that the spot up for grabs is not his...

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Hurriflatch said:
Timmy is a confidence goalkicker

if he gets a difficult one early then he won't miss all day
if he misses a sitter early he'll be lucky to end with 1 from 20

I'd be happy with that, as long it's 20 conversion attempts and not penalty goal attempts

Redback71

First Grade
i rekon burts the better kicker compared to last year where ridell was basically crap so unless his improved id give it to burty although i cant see that happening