What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Give the little guys a chance - Gould

nqboy

First Grade
LINK

IBELIEVE the interchange replacement system has had a detrimental effect on other important parts of our game and I'm proposing a new interchange rule be considered and perhaps trialled by the NRL towards the end of the season in games that have no bearing on the top eight.

My rule is twofold. Starting players should be interchanged only once during the regular 80 minutes. They can come off and go back on, once. If they are replaced a second time, they are finished for the day. Bench players should not be interchanged once they take the field. If they are replaced, they are finished for the day.

My mathematical adviser tells me the maximum number of changes that can take place under this system is 16 but to reach this number you would have to replace 12 of the starting team players during the contest. Obviously, this wouldn't happen, but it does provide a sufficient buffer for an abnormally extended injury list. If my maths man is wrong, he's sacked forever.

Most teams interchange the same four to six players each game, so on average the number of interchanges under my proposal would be roughly eight to 10 changes a game. Not counting the half-time break (which should be sufficient break for any player), nobody gets more than one rest during the 80 minutes.

My opinion on interchange replacements has changed several times over the years.
At first I saw it as a necessity. This opinion was rammed home to me in a game I coached in 1996 when Great Britain international Phil Clarke went down injured after a head knock. He got to his feet complaining only of a headache and wanted to continue. But because it was unlimited interchange in those days, our trainer coaxed him from the field for a spell, knowing it wouldn't affect any replacement quota. A doctor examined Clarke on the sideline and realised he had broken his neck. He was immediately taken to hospital. Had he been allowed to continue playing, the result would have been catastrophic. I was shaken by the experience and never again wanted to be part of such a risky situation.

In time, though, coaches so badly abused the unlimited interchange rule that I, with others, agreed to a proposal for a limit of 12 interchanges a game. I'm now convinced we need more restrictions. First, many interchanges made by coaches these days are tactically motivated and unrelated to the number of injuries. Second, interchange has led to the increasing prominence of big, strong ball-running forwards at the expense of smaller, skilful players.

Most teams have four forwards on their bench and rotate them in short bursts to ensure no one becomes a mistake factor or defensive weakness because of fatigue. This has had a huge effect on the way coaches approach the recruitment, development and selection of their teams.

You go to any first-grade coach and tell him you have a good young half or five-eighth he should look at and the first questions he'll ask are: How big is he? Can he tackle? In the NRL, smaller men in the defensive line are constantly targeted by big ball-running forwards. A little bloke like Brett Kimmorley stands his ground in defence while two big forwards take turns running at him, intent only on wearing him out. After 15 minutes, these forwards start to tire, so the coach replaces them with fresh players who continue the assault. Not only is Kimmorley always contending with fresh players running at him, he never gets the chance to return serve and attack these forwards when they're tired because they are replaced before fatigue takes over.

Replacing big men before they get tired means defences are better, tries are harder to score and coaches are reluctant to have too many smaller defenders in their line-up. This has contributed to the death of the five-eighth position as we knew it. Coaches have moved away from having two small, creative halves. They tolerate one small halfback, but unless they have a five-eighth in the mould of a Wally Lewis, Brad Fittler, Laurie Daley or Trent Barrett, they sacrifice skill for size and prefer a No.6 built more like a forward to handle defence pressures.

The really small, skilful and instinctive attacking players such as Matt Bowen, Preston Campbell, Brett Hodgson, Kurt Gidley or Brett Kearney, who started as halves in their junior days, now have to play fullback or they don't survive in first grade. This is one of the real negatives of interchange. I want to see big men have to tough it out and play through tiredness and fatigue. I would like to see little men such as Scott Prince (pictured) come into their own towards the end of each half when these monsters are gasping for air.

I have my doubts when some forwards today are given the tag of being one of the "best ever" in their position, when they play only between 40 and 50 minutes each week. These days, no forward has to push in scrums (which have become a disgrace but that's an argument for another day). Years ago, when scrums were fair dinkum, forwards pushed and shoved in these human mangles 20 to 30 times a game, and it really took its toll. These days they don't push and they don't even have to pack into scrums. Anyone can pack in.

Let's make the game harder for the big men and bring the little men back into their own. Let me know what you think and if you agree, we'll put some pressure on the NRL to give it a try. It's worth a shot.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Gould gets criticised continually & mercisley, at times just for the sake of showing you dont agree with him (Rothfield you waste of DNA), sometimes his ego may get in the way but IMO he always has the games best interests at heart. I wish some of the decision makers would listen to his suggestions as it would make for a stronger a more succesfull competion.

Master Vippo

Juniors
Its not a bad idea. Theres nothing wrong with trialing it. I agree with him on the points about smaller men being pushed out too.

I used to hate Gould for his stubborn, outspoken opinions, but he really does analyze the game very closely, so most of his opinions are fairly well thought out. Even if you dont agree straight away, the idea deserves a trial.

Also dont agree with the 'it aint broke dont fix it' approach. Why not make it the best it can be?

brenno

Juniors
i really dont have any dramas with the interchange system at all. As as for the little men being lost to league, its a load of rubbish. Smaller guys with speed and agility will always have a place in league somewhere. I give him kudos for actually coming up with new initatives rather than pushing another agenda or bitching about something for once.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
His continued crticism of the salary cap used to really bug me, but the more I have thought about it over the last year Im starting to find myself agreeing with him. Teams no longer have any depth, two or three extended injuries usually means you can wave your season goodbye. You can also pretty much guarantee a succesful team will be disintegrated within 3 years. Whats the answer? I wish I knew, but I do know the standard of the competion has dropped dramatically over the last few years.

Master Vippo

Juniors
I agree and disagree with him at the same time about the salary cap. His points are valid, but without a cap, one team would be full of superstars, while theoretically another is filler with premmy players. I dont know the answer either i guess...

adamkungl

Immortal
Brilliant article. We've all heard from the older generation (well I have, I'm 18 and hear it fairly frequently) about how they prefer the footy of the 70s/80s to today's game. Having not seen 80s footy, no comment, but I see Gould's point. The smaller blokes should gain an advantage over tired forwards as the game wears on, I think it could make for much more ball playing. How many of you have said that 07 is the most boring season in years I wonder?

fourplay

Juniors
Gus is right on the money here...

It's a great idea. I think the NRL should implement it next season.

Just look at last weeks Souths vs Broncos game if u want a reason to see why things should change!!

ShadesOfTheSun

Juniors
I agree and disagree with him at the same time about the salary cap. His points are valid, but without a cap, one team would be full of superstars, while theoretically another is filler with premmy players. I dont know the answer either i guess...
Well, you have to ask yourself what you prefer: a more skillful comp or a more even one? Quite frankly, the former has a lot better prospects for growth than the latter.

Inferno

Coach
Raises an interesting point, but not much would change. There would simply be more props on the bench. Most backrowers are capable of playing 80mins.

He's made a mistake with Kearney in our team as well. His defence is fine, but Sticky isn't going to stick him in the halves at the expense of Dykes or Kimmorley. He played almost all his games last year at hooker or in the halves.

t-ba

Post Whore
I think it's pretty f*cking Brilliant to be honest. Coaches would certainly have to think a whole lot more about those impact players they put on...

bartman

Immortal
hot frost said:
Maximum number would be 17.
Yes, if every starting player has a spell off (13) at some point, and then each interchange player (4) is replaced last to make the maximum 17 changes. Don't know why he stopped at 12. With four forwards on the bench you'd only really get a maximum of 10 changes, so it probably needs a tweak to make sure it creates more of a difference to the game somehow.

This is one of Gus' more thought through and sensible ideas, I'd be happy for lessof the machine-like league we see with the forward rotations, and more of the skill back in the game. That skill also being a big man push himself to make the effort for as long as possible instead of each playing an easy 50 min contribtion to effectively a ten-man pack.

Can't stand Gus when he harps on about his view relating to a particular club or person, or when he's towing a particular club's line over something like the salary cap increases. But when he applies himself more generally he can be very astute.

Mr_Raditch

Juniors
Robbo, whats the go with two posts straight after each other? Every post Ive seen of your's you do the same thing.

perverse

Referee
i am also no fan of gould at all.. but i think he's on the right track. needs tuning.. but yeah.. could be worth a trial.