What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Glenn Stewart TO South Sydney

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete Cash
Sigh players on or around minimum wage don't count. How many times must this point be gone over. You need to have 25 players in your top squad so with minimum wage players you are just swapping one for another so to speak.

Most clubs have over 30 players in the 1st grade squad.

LOL. Oh dear !!

Anyone with a bit of knowledge about Manly's salary situation know what this means? Will have any space to sign a replacement? Or is it more likely they look to extend their high profile players and replace him from within the current squad?

BranVan3000

Coach
Anyone with a bit of knowledge about Manly's salary situation know what this means? Will have any space to sign a replacement? Or is it more likely they look to extend their high profile players and replace him from within the current squad?
I'm sure a cheaper replacement will be on the card. Stewart was on 800k due to back ending this year, I can't imagine the salary cap situation is so clogged that Manly wouldn't be able to sign anyone at all next year

Red Bear

Referee
Manly have done a fantastic recruiting job over several seasons where it seems every decent forward they lose they have a cheap replacement on the way who does as good a or even a better job.

Cant stand Manly but have to respect the way they put a side together, and that they tend to pick up quality footballers, not just athletes.

It's a big loss, but as long as this enables Manly to sign the halves and other key players to extensions then it's fine long term. Losing players to cap pressure is an unfortunate part of modern day football that Manly had, for the most part, done a pretty good job of avoiding so far. The problem with this signing would only be if it lead to an exodus amongst other players.

Imo he's the most replaceable out of the Sea Eagles top players, a great ball playing back rower but with Cherry Evans and Foran continuing to improve each season his role in this regard is diminishing. I mentioned in another thread it's better to lose older players two years too soon, than two years too late.

Pete Cash

Post Whore
Most clubs have over 30 players in the 1st grade squad.

It doesn't matter if they have 1000000000 players hanging around the club. The top 25 players (which logically must be made up of some minimum wage players) is what counts under the salary cap. Any players outside of that 25 come in under the insanely low second tier cap which is about 400k.

Its why clubs who get a lot of injuries end up paying off a salary cap fine on top of a shit season.

some11

Referee
el diablo = pitiful piece of shit, I know he does not like BM, but the way he stalks him is pitiful and sad

by the way how come when I go to quote his posts the quotes do not show up......but they do with every other poster

Because you're hillbillyjizzer, owned a thousand times over in every single lol@souffs thread.

well done Souths supporters G. Stewart is a sensational pick up.......take no notice of all the pea brained morons on here who are rubbishing him......he has another few years of good footy in him, and you also have the bonus of him mentoring the younger players coming through

Vic Mackey

Referee
I enjoy a lol@souffs as much as the next guy

But I love how now that he's signed with souffs all of a sudden no one rates Glenn Stewart. The bloke is pure class, I would love the tigers to sign him. He is a huge loss to manly and a great signing by souths.

firechild

First Grade
They normally are when they want a new contract.
Same as Kenny Dowel, he needs a new contract as well.

Matai has been one of the form centers over the last few years. Pretty sure he's only recently signed a new contract anyway.

BranVan3000

Coach
I enjoy a lol@souffs as much as the next guy

But I love how now that he's signed with souffs all of a sudden no one rates Glenn Stewart. The bloke is pure class, I would love the tigers to sign him. He is a huge loss to manly and a great signing by souths.
Well said. His injuries are a reasonable concern but when he is on the field you expect only class