What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gloves off in the playground battleground

bartman

Immortal
When I was a kid - 70's- 80's, I once had Dallas Donnelly and the boys doing the next door neighbours fence. Even though Dallas was really nice to me (top bloke) it always stuck in my head, what his head looked like (and the others in the group). My league/union days finished at age 17 (having played prop along side Cam Blades - future Wallaby & Waratah hooker). :D My melon was already rough, and I had no intention of making it any rougher.

If they do training camps, they must ensure that the pretty boys go out.:lol: (Thank god Ryan Cross went to union!):lol:
Yeah, we mainly had Brett Kenny coming to the school. He was ok looking for the time (even if age has wearied him a bit), and ok looking in comparison to some of the roughheads they could have sent!

^ True, but this will become the norm in schools and regions that used to have just league and soccer, AFL is now muscling in. Remeber, they don't need to convert everyone, just 1/10 kids will be huge growth for them. And once they have their foot in the door, they won't be going anywhere.
I don't expect them to go anywhere. I think this idea that we have to expel AFL altogether otherwise we're doomed is crazy. There are more sports available to people now than 10 years ago and there were more 10 years ago than there was 20 years ago. It's globalisation and immigration and every sport will find a niche, even if it's really small. We can't get rid of AFL, but we can ensure RL remains the strongest sport in our areas and hit the AFL heartlands ourselves. The problem is, the AFL is hell bent on invading our territory and talking up its immense size and potential, while RL people don't seem to give a toss about expansion, international growth or promoting the game to new people. If we lose the battle that's why we'll lose it, though not neccessarily to AFL specifically. The biggest threat to league is losing portions of our support to any number of other sports in the heartlands, which is somewhat inevitable, and failing to generate new support for ourself in non-heartland areas.

Smithtown

Coach
The threat of AFL is overstated. They spend millions of dollars in NSW and Qld and haven't really made inroads. There might be more AFL teams in those states now than there used to be but there's also more Victorian ex-pats. Having 10 year old kids kick a ball around a couple of times a year at school is not going to convert many kids from league. Our biggest worry is still parents pushing their kids away from league because of a perceived danger of injury or because of the behaviour of NRL players. The fact is RL is doing almost as much development work and making inroads into non traditional areas too, we just don't bang on about it like the AFL does and we don't have a tame media banging the drum either. AFL constantly gets stories about international development (like signing some nuffy from Canada or South Africa) or expansion into other states in the press because a. they are obsessed with and deluded about the idea that they're a huge game and getting bigger, and b. because their friendly media think the same. RL people are the opposite. We generally talk our game down, especially when it comes to international football or expansion, and our media can't get enough of doom and gloom stories.

Most of your thoughts are pretty good ECT, and I'll go along with the general vibe.

What isn't true though is the amount of development officers on the ground in comparison to AFL, the organisation of these development officers and the administration of them. Hence RL is not doing almost as much and is certainly not making inroads into non-traditional areas. Melbourne Storm are via VRLD, but not other areas. And even then Melbourne cuts out at about the 15 year old mark, but is slowly filtering down.

Obviously that springs from the fact that a company is still 50% owner of the game and is therefore bleeding funds from where they should be allocated - as if anyone needs to be told again.

We still have large scale problems though and it's folly to sit back and say we are doing ok but not beating our chest about it. If we are doing ok in certain regions, chests need to be beaten and we all need to know. There might be some local strategies that work in a particular region that can be replicated in other areas of the country, and this needs to filter back to areas that are struggling.

As for that AFL starter kit - it is excellent and very much needs to be replicated by League. It could be classified as gimicky by us cynical adults, but its gold to kids - I've seen the faces. $$$$ obviously the key to that.

Of course Western Sydney will be fine - AFL will take away more from Soccer than League in this area, so the next Harry Kewell is who they are really targetting. But it still needs real work, not gimmicky signs that are taken down due to lack of appropriate permission. Those sorts of stories are an embarrassment and projects an image that those involved may be too lazy to do things the right way, which is a common afflliction in our game.

Collectively our game is still poor to average in Development - which is not to say individual Officers aren't great. It has a fair way to go, and if it ever replicates AFL in time, employees and money spent, our game will smash all comers in Junior numbers.

It seems all very simple, but rarely is.

typicalfan

Coach
We may not have an array of registered trademarks like Auskick but Rugby League does have other similar activities like Touch, OzTag and even Rugby Union if you are desperate. The skills at least at the junior level for these sports are very transferable many kids who play RL may also play touch at school, touch in the backyard or the park etc etc. andthese are better products than some Auskick program.

It is good on the one hand that we are treating the threat with a little respect but not to the extent that people forget that Rugby League has other areas where we are growing. We have an NFL style All Stars game, we have a youth competition which outrates the Super 14 on Fox Sports and we are having tests and other big matches like Origin and semi finals in Melbourne.

Loudstrat

Coach
I don't know if it's still happening but up in North Queensland there was a "Adopt a Cowboy" program where each school in the region had a player dedicated to coming to school and running little clinics.

What a great idea!

As an aside - I read in todays Traitorgraph that Blackown Council asked the RL Academy to take down a banner advertising something to do with juniors (was it this initiative?) The banner was opposite the Gay Wankers Society (GWS) HQ. The NRL have slammed Blacktown Council for it.

I'll try and find a link.

Loudstrat

Coach
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...eague-recruiters/story-e6frexnr-1225827300932
A bad sign for league recruiters

300688-dtstory-rugby-league-banner.jpg

Eye-catching...the banner. Source: The Daily Telegraph

LEAGUE officials were last night furious after being made to remove a banner advertising junior registrations, which was erected opposite the AFL's Western Sydney bunker.

ARL Development officers provocatively placed the black sign across Eastern Road from Blacktown Olympic Park, the training and administrative base of the incoming Greater Western Sydney (GWS) Aussie rules side.
It was erected around 1pm yesterday, but barely lasted 90 minutes before a staffer from Blacktown City Council phoned the NSWRL's Western Sydney Academy .
Enquires revealed Penrith junior league officials obtained verbal permission to erect the sign, but legally required written endorsement.
Upon confirming no written approval had been obtained, the sign was ordered to be taken down.
The directive prompted anger among league officials, who felt the council was protecting the AFL after the two organisations jointly built the new 10,000-seat stadium.

Penrith chairman and long-time junior league supremo Don Feltis said he was very interested to see whether council would eventually grant permission for the sign to return in the same spot.

"If the decision was in any way prompted by a desire to protect the AFL, then we'd be very disappointed," Feltis said.
A council spokeswoman denied that was the case.
"The sign was taken down because it did not have the proper permission," she said.
"When determining whether to give a sign permission, we'll go through the same process for everyone - whether it be rugby league, scouts or AFL."

Flapper

First Grade
It'll go back up eventually. I assume Blacktown Council remember quite vividly what happened the last time they tried to big up AFL at the expense of Rugby League and Netball.

RL1908

Bench
It's interesting that schools, parents & Education departments object to schools and our childern being used as propaganda/recruitment fields by religious groups, banking institutions, fast food chains etc from entering the school under the guise of some educational pre-text, but they have no such issue when reps of a professional football code or cricket want to conduct a branded marketing session(s) dressed as a training exercise.

Most of your thoughts are pretty good ECT, and I'll go along with the general vibe.

What isn't true though is the amount of development officers on the ground in comparison to AFL, the organisation of these development officers and the administration of them. Hence RL is not doing almost as much and is certainly not making inroads into non-traditional areas. Melbourne Storm are via VRLD, but not other areas. And even then Melbourne cuts out at about the 15 year old mark, but is slowly filtering down.

Obviously that springs from the fact that a company is still 50% owner of the game and is therefore bleeding funds from where they should be allocated - as if anyone needs to be told again.

We still have large scale problems though and it's folly to sit back and say we are doing ok but not beating our chest about it. If we are doing ok in certain regions, chests need to be beaten and we all need to know. There might be some local strategies that work in a particular region that can be replicated in other areas of the country, and this needs to filter back to areas that are struggling.

As for that AFL starter kit - it is excellent and very much needs to be replicated by League. It could be classified as gimicky by us cynical adults, but its gold to kids - I've seen the faces. $$$$ obviously the key to that.

Of course Western Sydney will be fine - AFL will take away more from Soccer than League in this area, so the next Harry Kewell is who they are really targetting. But it still needs real work, not gimmicky signs that are taken down due to lack of appropriate permission. Those sorts of stories are an embarrassment and projects an image that those involved may be too lazy to do things the right way, which is a common afflliction in our game.

Collectively our game is still poor to average in Development - which is not to say individual Officers aren't great. It has a fair way to go, and if it ever replicates AFL in time, employees and money spent, our game will smash all comers in Junior numbers.

It seems all very simple, but rarely is.
That's why I said "almost". And we are making inroads into non-traditional areas, just maybe not as much as the AFL is in our areas. They simply have more money, but it doesn't mean that they are getting great value for that money. Plus they seem to get an easier ride from schools and others than we do. The Melbourne area has several ARL development officers and the number of junior and senior players and the standard has improved a hell of a lot from 10 years ago. The Storm have a lot to do with this but the development officers are playing their part too. I really think our development program is pretty good considering its budget.

RL1908

Bench
There are dozens and dozens of junior football club recruitment signs up right across Sydney at the moment (and presumably elsewhere too) trumpeting every code.

Would be interesting to know whether the Council has pursued every sports banner currently up across the Council area, a particular few, or just this one.

Smithtown

Coach
Yep - the NT is indeed a positive.

The acceptance of Rugby League into the Territory Institute of Sport has been the catalyst of this change. Along with players like Will Chambers and James McManus it has provided a profile. A good initiative and a smart move that is paying dividends.

The result is that of the Affiliated States, the Northern Territory now reign supreme in Junior footy - their teams are of a high standard across the 3 age groups where State carnivals occur.

So we have Darwin and Melbourne (down to a certain age group) as positives, and good ones at that. Unfortunately Perth and Adelaide have regressed, and there is no League at all in Hobart (lest a few hardy souls trying to run a short summer comp).

I'de have no problems with using the NT model in both WA and SA. That would give the game the necessary boost in these non-traditional areas that it needs. Obviously easier siad than done with the amount of politicing involved, but not impossible.

elbusto

Coach
My take on this is that the AFL is going to go hell for leather at Western Sydney and invest a fortune in the process. In the mean time the NRL has 4 strong Clubs and literally hundreds and dozens of junior Teams already in existence. The AFL will have Kevin Sheedy, who really is an idiot, every where you look - if somebody could tell me what the attraction of this fat old f&ck is please let me know.

The AFL will continue every measure of spin signing up Botswanans, Indonesians and anybody else they can get their dirty money on in order to get a cheap headline from a gullible press.

The good thing about this is that it will cost a fortune and it will force the Rugby League authorities to make the correct decisions in order to promote Rugby League the way it should be.

Expect a little pain and then a lot of gain. Rugby League is a fantastic game and we should be very confident about its future.

AFL is reaching an hysterical level in lying about its international reach and its playing numbers. History shows this cannot be sustained.

I am looking forward to NRL season 2010 and I am not going to let a bunch of geniuss who cannot tackle or catch a ball ruin my season!

Thats all I have to say on the matter!

OK now lets get back to talking NRL.

Last edited:

Smithtown

Coach
Elbusto - I noticed your location.

What is that State of play with League there at the moment?

elbusto

Coach
Elbusto - I noticed your location.

What is that State of play with League there at the moment?
We formed a 4 Team comp this year and are playing round 12 tomorrow with a two week finals series to follow. Its been a success and we will build from this. Have a look for match reports in the Interstate Thread re Tassie Rugby League.

If we take things carefully and consolidate we will grow over the next three years.

Playing in summer is the key!

Smithtown

Coach
We formed a 4 Team comp this year and are playing round 12 tomorrow with a two week finals series to follow. Its been a success and we will build from this. Have a look for match reports in the Interstate Thread re Tassie Rugby League.

If we take things carefully and consolidate we will grow over the next three years.

Playing in summer is the key!

Congrats.

I gather summer is the key due to both weather and the ability of Rugby Union players to play League in their 'off season'.

4 Teams is healthy for a first time comp - hope it filters through to Juniors as well.

elbusto

Coach
Congrats.

I gather summer is the key due to both weather and the ability of Rugby Union players to play League in their 'off season'.

4 Teams is healthy for a first time comp - hope it filters through to Juniors as well.
Summer is fine here - we picked up a lot of Rah Rahs, plus some AFL guys and a lot of hidden Leaguies.

Next year we will target AFL Clubs a lot more as we are not affecting their season.

We hope we can get an 18s comp next year and work downwards - its the best way I think. But as I said we need to make each step work.

The ARL is fully supporting us by the way.

Smithtown

Coach
Summer is fine here - we picked up a lot of Rah Rahs, plus some AFL guys and a lot of hidden Leaguies.

Next year we will target AFL Clubs a lot more as we are not affecting their season.

We hope we can get an 18s comp next year and work downwards - its the best way I think. But as I said we need to make each step work.

The ARL is fully supporting us by the way.

And so should the ARL support you - if they employed a fulltime Development Officer for you it would be even better;-)

Can I make a suggestion with Juniors? Instead of working on U18s down, why not work from U7s up?

The reasons are many, however U18s have a tendency to chase other things, especially over summer months, and tend to fall away. Once you have a team with less than 13 players it becomes very problematic for all.

If you start with U7s you only need 8 players per team with Mini Rules. You can also run 5, 6 & 7 year olds. Many of the players in your Senior comp will have kids in that age group and it will become a more family focused affair. There is nothing better than having the very littlies on before seniors.

If you have a good turnout, your following year run 7s and 8s, the following 7s, 8s, 9s etc... What you are doing is essentialy adding a new 7s grade each season. This has the benefits of keeping kids in the sport and letting them grow with the sport. Before you know it you will have a fully functioning Junior comp!

That's just my opinion and I've had quite a few years in the game, so discuss that with all your committee folk and see what response you get. Worth thinking about anyways.

Last edited:

elbusto

Coach
And so should the ARL support you - if they employed a fulltime Development Officer for you it would be even better;-)

Can I make a suggestion with Juniors? Instead of working on U18s down, why not work from U7s up?

The reasons are many, however U18s have a tendency to chase other things, especially over summer months, and tend to fall away. Once you have a team with less than 13 players it becomes very problematic for all.

If you start with U7s you only need 8 players per team with Mini Rules. You can also run 5, 6 & 7 year olds. Many of the players in your Senior comp will have kids in that age group and it will become a more family focused affair. There is nothing better than having the very littlies on before seniors.

If you have a good turnout, your following year run 7s and 8s, the following 7s, 8s, 9s etc... What you are doing is essentialy adding a new 7s grade each season. This has the benefits of keeping kids in the sport and letting them grow with the sport. Before you know it you will have a fully functioning Junior comp!

That's just my opinion and I've had quite a few years in the game, so discuss that with all your committee folk and see what response you get. Worth thinking about anyways.
No worries at all - we are looking for ideas. I think you are probably right and we should get some OZTAG going. Thanks for your advice.