What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Go ahead!...ask us anything!

Navigator

Juniors
I'm topping 100 plus emails a day in my HotmailAccount. The garbage spam type. Buy this, buy that, loose 5kilos in an hour, earn 100K sitting on your fat arse doind SFA in 3 short days...yada, yada, yada.
The thing is, before I opened a HM account, I was warned by many friends to not tick those little boxes when they ask what your interests are. I didn't tick any of them. Yet I'm still recieveing these garbage fillers day in day out.
I've used my filter that HM supply. But it seemsfor every oneI filter out (block) maybe three more appear.
Anyone have any ideas please?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I used to get a quite a bit of spam in my hotmail inbox.
But I got into the habit of 'blocking' the sender and if need be, blocking the actual server name as well (ie the part after the "@").
I find that I only get two or three a week now which is quite manageable.

I'm not sure if blocking is the answer for every account but it seems to have worked for me. Just got to be careful you dont accidentially block a 'friendly'.

Hope that helps.

imported_Kaon

Juniors
I use outlook to get my mail which automatically sends unwanted emails to the trash folder. I'd assume other email software has the same set-up.

Other than that, follow what Bronco said. I have two email addresses, one is my main one, which i use for all my important things, and i also have another one which i rarely use. Whenever i sign up for anything such as special offers or access to sitesi always give this email <span>address</span>. This way, i never have to look at all the spam, but alsoif ihave to <span>retrieve </span>a password or the like, i can do it.

Only a few junk mails a dayis a nuisance most definitely. 100+ a day can get downright suicidal.
Whilst all have given excellent advice on how to solve your (and many others I'm guessing?) problem Navigator, I'll throw my 20cents worth here.
I only use my Hotmail Account for signing into this community. It's not my primary account for sending and receiving emails and general information among friends and colegues. I find this is the best approach to avoid junk mail. I also never checked any of the boxes when signing up for a Hotmail Account, and everything was fine for many months. I use to receive the odd one to three junk mail a week or so, but within probably the last four months or so, that figure has leaped froged to fifteen to twenty...and that's with me following the same guidelines I applied when I first opened my account. I don't mind though because when I sign into Hotmail, I rarely look in my mailbox.
Navigator; you mention that you also didn't check any of the boxes when opening your account. But are you using your Hotmail Account as your primary email contact? Herein may lie the problem. The more emails you send thru your primary account, I've found, the more likely it is you'll recieve unwanted emails. In particular to "advertising" and - or "retail" outlets.
Like Bronco and Kaonsaid, you don't neccessarily have to have two accounts...one for emails and one for junk. You can always give bogus addresses when filling forms and applications out. I do it all the time and have never encountered a problem. Yet.
I have many friends who swear by McAfee Security. When the provide such services as :
<table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=4 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td valign=top align=right width=4>• </td> <td valign=top align=left width="95%"> Block e-mails using not one but two powerful techniques: lists and filters.
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign=top align=right width=4> •</td> <td width="95%"> Automatic daily updates keep you up-to-date.
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign=top align=right width=4> •</td> <td valign=top align=right width="95%"> Filters multiple types, including MSN/Hotmail.

</td></tr> <tr> <td valign=top align=right width=4> •</td> <td valign=top align=left width="95%"> Automatic friends list.
</td></tr> <tr> <td valign=top align=right width=4>•</td> <td valign=top align=left width="95%">Monitors and filters multiple e-mail accounts.</td></tr></tbody></table>
.....it maybe worth the money spent.
Here also is a good Aussie site that may give you some help, and good luck with your problem.
'fan-baller

Navigator

Juniors
"Better off not knowing"
I always thought that's what it mean also ozbash. It's not a phrase I've ever used or had used on me, so I'm just guessing.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Sort of like those smug Mushrooms.
Always in the dark and surrounded by bullshit.

'To be blissfully unaware.'
'Better off not knowing'
'Ignorance is a blessing'

But then again...

if ignorance is bliss, then why arent more people happy?

V

Vertigo

G'day all.
I was searching for the link to the KiwiRugbyLeague Web Page just now. Somehow I'd lost in from my Favourites.
Rather than looking through the MSN Communities Directory page, I figured it will probably be listed in the links page of LWOS.
But the links page gives me this message andappearence:
Legends Links <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=left> Add LinkList View</td></tr></tbody></table> <table cellspacing=0 cellpadding=2 width="100%" border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td colspan=32>There are no items in the list.
I'm just wondering why the page is empty. I checked the page a few weeks back and could have sworn it was healthy in appearence with amples of worthwhile links. But now it's telling me: "There are no items in the list."

Is it going through a facelift? When will it be back on line?
PS- Can someone put a link to the Kiwi RL Community in the mean time please.
Cheers.
V.</td></tr></tbody></table>