What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Goal Kicking??

Jodeci

Bench
PARRAMATTA sharpshooter Luke Burt has put his hand up for goal-kicking duties, but knows he faces stiff competition from newcomer Chris Sandow. In a win-win situation for Eels coach Stephen Kearney, Burt and Sandow are two of the best kickers in the game.
Burt finished with 62 from 75 last year, or a 82.7 per cent success rate, while former Rabbit Sandow potted 82 from 97 at 84.5 per cent.
Burt felt he had one of his best years in 2011 with the left boot, and said he had already made it clear to coach Kearney he was keen on the gig.
"But it will probably come down to what we do in the trials. I know I want to do it again, and with Chris there is sure to be some pressure," Burty said.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sport/brush-hour-for-tigers/story-e6freye0-1226243048498

Jason70

Juniors
It's an easy solution, Sandow can be the kicker for first grade and Luke can be goalkicker(and skipper) for Wenty

Pazza

First Grade
Sandow, he is here for the long haul and we dont need him taking a year off kicking only to have to pick it back up in 2013 if Burt isn't here.

84 Baby

Referee
Sandow, he is here for the long haul and we dont need him taking a year off kicking only to have to pick it back up in 2013 if Burt isn't here.
This is how I see it too. I know Sandow probably wouldn't forget how to goal kick in the space of a season, but what he might forget over a season is the pressure of a crucial conversion and the best way to deal with that pressure is to experience it.

Gronk

Staff member
Isn't Burt left footed and Sandow right footed?

How about they share the kicking?

There will be a barney when there is a shot from in front. Maybe we could develop an iphone app so that the crowd can vote instantly who should take the shot.

Pazza

First Grade
This is how I see it too. I know Sandow probably wouldn't forget how to goal kick in the space of a season, but what he might forget over a season is the pressure of a crucial conversion and the best way to deal with that pressure is to experience it.

To use a term from the fight game i would say Sandow would develop 'Ring Rust' if he took a year off kicking. I have heard athletes talk about the bright lights, the crowd, atmosphere etc that can really affect performance. It might only be a slight difference but i would rather Sandow kicking at 80% in 2013 than say 70%.

Mr_E

Juniors
The way I see it, let Sandow be the best half-back he can be and concentrate on that while we still have Burt with us. He can have the occassional kick but leave the main burden with Burty.

E.