What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Godinet released

LeagueNut

First Grade
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/league/9539364/Godinet-ditches-Warriors-for-Super-League-move

Hooker Pita Godinet has left the Warriors and signed to Super League club Wakefield Trinity.

The 25-year-old, who played for Samoa at the World Cup and appeared for the Warriors on 10 occasions last season, has been given a release from the club.

All of Godinet's games for the Warriors this year came in the first half of the season and he spent the back end of the campaign languishing in the reserve grade Auckland Vulcans side.

Wakefield coach Richard Agar, who coached France at the World Cup, said he intends to use the 25-year-old at either hooker or in the halves.

"He is a skilful player and I think he will make a big impact. He will also give us cover at six or nine," Agar said.

"Half-backs are at a premium and it is a difficult time of the season to try and sign new players so I am delighted we have signed him and I certainly think he will add something to our squad."

Agar said the club had been trying to sign Godinet for some time.

"Our first enquiry was rebuffed but I think Pita realised that it would be a tremendous opportunity to play in Super League and become an important player for us."

The Warriors had an option on Godinet's contract for next season and back in June Warriors coach Matt Elliott told Fairfax Media that they would be taking it up for 2014.

"All of the options that we're going to take up have been taken up. Pita is here next year," Elliott said at the time.

However, the change of plan may have been caused by the club's change of heart over Nathan Friend.

The Warriors initially didn't take up their option on the veteran hooker and it looked like he was going to move on, but just before the end of the season they offered him a new deal.

With Friend, Thomas Leuluai and the highly promising Siliva Havili all potentially wearing the No 9 jersey at the club next season, it's unlikely Godinet would have got much game time and he had also stated to Fairfax Media this year that he was willing to move away from Auckland to play first grade footy.

Shame - I enjoyed watching him play and he seemed to have a bit of ticker, realistically he was always going to have to leave Mt Smart for a consistent first-grade spot though.

All the best Pita.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
Good on him, the Townsend signing was prob the writing on the wall for him. He will dominate over there though.

what ever

Juniors
All the best Pita. But honestly have you not been reading the forums about the wakefield wildcat club financial state of affairs - NOT good, hence why they have let or tried to get rid of the high paid overseas players anyway that they could, Tim Smith, Isaac John, Paul Aiton, and quite a few more. You deserve a break Pita but watch your back my boy.

Evil Homer

Staff member
All the best Pita. But honestly have you not been reading the forums about the wakefield wildcat club financial state of affairs - NOT good, hence why they have let or tried to get rid of the high paid overseas players anyway that they could, Tim Smith, Isaac John, Paul Aiton, and quite a few more. You deserve a break Pita but watch your back my boy.
Isaac John spent most of his time over here in reserve grade and was released well before Wakefield had any financial problems.

what ever

Juniors
Isaac John spent most of his time over here in reserve grade and was released well before Wakefield had any financial problems.

Isaac did not play in the reserve grade over here oversea players are not allowed, he just had to watch. He was told it would not matter how well he went Agar wouldn't play him and this was said by Agar. Asked a number of the boys why he wasn't playing and they said it wasn't from the lack of ability or work on John's behave. The club was in financial stress before he left with outstanding bills and threats of court. And it's still going on.

All I am saying is Pita all the best mate you deserve a break but beware it's not like NRL.

Last edited:
Thought he would be our X factor for the season but not to be. Once Friend was back didn't really need a spark off the bench. Safe travels Pita

Rich102

Staff member
Funny isn't it. Some players give their best and get released and some coast and get retained.
Not much has changed.

Latest posts