What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gold Coast Chargers

chileman

Coach
"Reported today that Paul Broughton has had talks with Wayne Beavis(fittlers manager),concerning his availability to coach the GC in 2005.Beavis has said that fittler has signed with the rooters for one more year and after that he'll weigh up his alternatives.Broughton is quitely confident as he and 'Freddie' go back a long way and are good friends."

chileman

Coach
Tamazoid said:
Surely it'd be too early for Fittler to coach? I'd go for Daley.
I'd have to agree with you Tama although can you imagine the pull in the area especially in the junior clubs around the GC if a high profile player was to coach....I reckon Phil Economidis (spelling??) would be sniffing around the place if the GC did get a team!

Anonymous

Juniors
There's a bit of info flying around about this with the latest news being that the Gold Coast Chargers will be in the NRL by 2006 at the latest. It's interesting because there's some big backers coming into play.

Some will recall that the Gold Coast sent a syndicate to Sydney recently to try and get a current NRL team to relocate... the NRL backed the idea but the response from those approached was inconclusive.

So now the Gold Coast is aiming higher and wants a stand alone team.

chileman

Coach
Willow said:
There's a bit of info flying around about this with the latest news being that the Gold Coast Chargers will be in the NRL by 2006 at the latest. It's interesting because there's some big backers coming into play.

Some will recall that the Gold Coast sent a syndicate to Sydney recently to try and get a current NRL team to relocate... the NRL backed the idea but the response from those approached was inconclusive.

So now the Gold Coast is aiming higher and wants a stand alone team.
Maybe Newtown could relocate huh willow...the Gold Coast Jets would sit nicely with me ;-) They really will have to look at Carrara though....one of their grandstands (the side I was sitting for the Manly/Parra trial) is way to far away from the field and the angle it is on doesn't help either...I think it would be healthy for RL though!

bender

Juniors
I would like to see the Gold Coast Burleigh Bears get the nod, but obviously it will be a new consortium with a new team name, or possibly a reuse of the Chargers next name.

Brad Fittler or Laurie Daley as a coach would be a major mistake. Gold Coast needs to be identified with Queensland as much as possible. There is enough Gold Coast talent and New South Welshman (other than those from the tweed) should only be brought in in rare circumstances where they are clearly of state of origin standard or better. Fittler as a coach is not at this level. Ideally, Phil Economidis would be the man to lead. He has a solid NRL record and is proven and respected by the Gold Coast public.

As for playing staff, I would sign the best 17 players (regardless of age)from Burleigh, Tweed Heads and other Gold Coast sides as a starting base. I would add up to 5 of the best players from other Queensland Cup sides (if those players would improve the squad). Obviously, you would need to try to get the best young talent. I would then try to sign a maximum of 5 ex Qlders of NRL first grade/fringe 1st grade, players such as Nutley, Bickerstaff, Adrian Vowles, Nick Graham, Ben Walker etc. Finally and obviously most difficultly, i would aim for 2 high profile state of origin/international standard players (not necessarilly qlders). I believe that this would give the side a side roughly similar to what Gold Coast previously had and a side roughly on par with Manly and some of the other lower ranked teams.

dimitri

First Grade
Gold COast Chargers (chargers reinstated)
Central Coast Bears (north sydney relocated)
Perth Jets (newtown relocated, but keep their sydney premier league side which acts as a feeder team)
wellington crushers (south qld crushers relocated)

Anonymous

Juniors
bender said:
I would like to see the Gold Coast Burleigh Bears get the nod, but obviously it will be a new consortium with a new team name, or possibly a reuse of the Chargers next name.

Brad Fittler or Laurie Daley as a coach would be a major mistake. Gold Coast needs to be identified with Queensland as much as possible. There is enough Gold Coast talent and New South Welshman (other than those from the tweed) should only be brought in in rare circumstances where they are clearly of state of origin standard or better. Fittler as a coach is not at this level. Ideally, Phil Economidis would be the man to lead. He has a solid NRL record and is proven and respected by the Gold Coast public.

As for playing staff, I would sign the best 17 players (regardless of age)from Burleigh, Tweed Heads and other Gold Coast sides as a starting base. I would add up to 5 of the best players from other Queensland Cup sides (if those players would improve the squad). Obviously, you would need to try to get the best young talent. I would then try to sign a maximum of 5 ex Qlders of NRL first grade/fringe 1st grade, players such as Nutley, Bickerstaff, Adrian Vowles, Nick Graham, Ben Walker etc. Finally and obviously most difficultly, i would aim for 2 high profile state of origin/international standard players (not necessarilly qlders). I believe that this would give the side a side roughly similar to what Gold Coast previously had and a side roughly on par with Manly and some of the other lower ranked teams.
Good post Bender.
Don't know if you saw the Burleigh Bears playing in the mud last Saturday against Toowoomba. Pretty impressive again this year.

dimitri

First Grade
Gold COast Chargers (chargers reinstated)
Central Coast Bears (north sydney relocated)
Perth Jets (newtown relocated, but keep their sydney premier league side which acts as a feeder team)
wellington crushers (south qld crushers relocated)

also adelaide to eventually get a team

possibly rams or a relocated team