What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Boot 2019

Springs09

Juniors
Who decided to change the criteria for the award?

It used to be for the best player in the world with extra weight given to internationals which was perfect.

Nominating the best player in the world based on 3 or 4 games devalues the award - especially when a player might be injured and miss the whole international season.

When did this even happen? I can only remember it being awarded for the best player in the world. Thurston won it in 2015 when Australia sat out internationals for example.

Tommy Makinson had one good game. He's a good player but if the Golden Boot is awarded on the back of one game then there is no point in having it.

For current best players in the world - you're looking at Taumalolo, Burgess, Holmes, Tuivasa-Sheck, Frizell, Widdop, Cronk, Munster etc. Makinson, Whitehead and DWZ are good but they aren't quite up there yet.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Its a strange one for sure! I think a better way of doing it would be for each nation/competition to nominate their top player for that season ie NRL player, SL player, PNG Digicel cup player, French comp etc then the RLIF choose who has been the stand out player in their comp. There could be some guy ripping it up in PNG that has had a bigger influence on the comp then any NRL or SL player. Eiether that or a straight shoot out between the Daly M winner and the man of steel winner.

AJB1102

First Grade
Previous winners include Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny, Sterlo, Meninga, Johns, Fittler, Stacey Jones, Lockyer, JT, Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk.

Tommy looks a little out of place and not just because he's the first winger to win it.

Perth Red

Post Whore
"Fittler said he believed Tedesco should have been awarded the Golden Boot after his standout season which included a series win for NSW......."

Bless it seems Freddy cant actually read what the new criteria is. Australia losing to NZ and taking on a second tier nation in Tonga should exclude any Australian player based on new critieria. Especially as their best players in the RLWC didnt play for Kangaroos this year.

As for this:
“I can’t believe the best player in the world is a person I’ve never seen play,” Fittler said.

Maybe Freddy should take more interest in the international game?

I'd have been happy with DWZ getting it based on performances for NZ though they have now lost 3 games on a trot this year to England so that probably went against him.

Force

Juniors
Previous winners include Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny, Sterlo, Meninga, Johns, Fittler, Stacey Jones, Lockyer, JT, Smith, Slater, Inglis, Cronk.

Tommy looks a little out of place and not just because he's the first winger to win it.
This....he does look out of place. Change the criteria of the award cos its dishing up a stinker. Include the domestic scene as theres hardly any International games to get a fair judgement of how well a player has been playing throughout the year.

Hilarious that Teddy missed out to a bloke that scored seven tries primarily on the wing in a team that didn't even make the GF...

Suck shit Tedesco, much schadenfreude being enjoyed here.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
This....he does look out of place. Change the criteria of the award cos its dishing up a stinker. Include the domestic scene as theres hardly any International games to get a fair judgement of how well a player has been playing throughout the year.

Whats interesting is that the year Cam Smith won it, Australia only played 1 test at the end of that year while a NZ/GB test series was being played.

Its strange that a winger has won it but if this award was handed out years ago whats to say the likes of Offiah or Bevan wouldve won it.

Hilarious that Teddy missed out to a bloke that scored seven tries primarily on the wing in a team that didn't even make the GF...

Yes I'm sure after helping NSW win Origin and the Roosters win a Premiership he is going to be heart broken on missing out on this :p

Pommy

Coach

Maybe if Australia didn’t have a 50% win ratio in the award period he would have won it.

TheFrog

Coach
“I can’t believe the best player in the world is a person I’ve never seen play,” Fittler said.
I don't think this award is intended to be for the best player in the world. Just the best player in international matches. It is hard to argue really.

Tedesco should have got the Wally Lewis medal but didn't. Doesn't mean he should get the Golden Boot as compensation. He shouldn't even have been in the last four.

And he aint the best player in the world either. I don't know who is, but its not him.

King hit

Coach
As for this:

Maybe Freddy should take more interest in the international game?

Not paying interest in the international game? Yet Fittler went out of his way to coach Lebanon at the world cup and learn about Lebanese culture and in the past he went of his way to talk up international footy after SL had sent it to the shitter.

Congrats too the bloke he won it fair and square... it's not like he won it Melbourne (over the salary cap) storm style.