What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Golden Point Irony

1st game under Bennett in March 2009 - beaten in golden point by Storm field goal.

Last game under Bennett in September 2011 - beaten in golden point by Broncos field goal.

I hate golden point!!!

Minh

First Grade
Should be extra time in finals at least 5 minutes preferably more each way.

AceAv

Juniors
Yeah, I think golden point (though better for players fatigue wise) would be better like normal o/t.

I always wondered -What would happen if no team scored in golden point last night? Coin flip..?

dragonfire

Bench
i think personally in regular season if it is a draw than split the points. In finals 5 minutes either way and if no score the 2nd 5 minutes keeps going till a score. Would make it a lot more entertaining and give a team a chance to hit back rather than teams just playing for a field goal

RedVDave

First Grade
What I found ironic is in 2008 Bennett coached his last game in Suncorp after just losing to Melbourne in the semi finals in the dying seconds of the game.

4 years on he loses to to his old club in the semi finals in a GP thriller.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I always wondered -What would happen if no team scored in golden point last night? Coin flip..?
I understand that in finals football, if the scores are still locked up after 10 minutes, the game just keeps going until someone scores.

Efresh

Coach
For the record, do ANY fans prefer golden point to the old draw and split the points? Bizarrely, when we did split the points with Parra this year it felt like kissing your sister, but only because we went through the golden point crap first.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
In the regular season, I think a draw after 80 minutes should be the result.

Draw and split points after 80 during the regular season. Five minutes each way then golden try in the finals, if anyone is in the lead after a five minute period of golden try they win.

GongPanther

Referee
I tend to think that after 80 minutes of hard fought football,a draw in the competition proper,is sufficent and both teams should get at least a point from the effort.

I mean,it could prove the differance between geting in the eight or the final four with that extra point.

I simply find golden point in extra time more of a hinderance than a help especailly after all the work through the week in preparing the side for a game.

Sure,O.K.,if ones side does win the game and gets the two comp points,but what a bugger of a feeling it is if its say for instance it's in the final round and your side needed just one comp point to sneak into the finals.

My 2 cents worth [plus GST].

MattYg1

Bench
Draw and split points after 80 during the regular season. Five minutes each way then golden try in the finals, if anyone is in the lead after a five minute period of golden try they win.

exactly like its done in the NBA - game goes to overtime whoever has the lead at the end of the overtime quarter wins - if its still tied it goes to double overtime... so on so forth.

Id say you keep the field goal in there though... could provide interesting tactics.

obviously a team would set up for a field goal but some of the craftier attacks could use it as a decoy and go for the try - better to be up by 6 than to have it possibly go back and forth by 1 point or so.

RedVDave

First Grade
I like Golden Point ...but only in semis regular season should be a draw if scores are level at FT it's the fairest result.

I find it hard to like golden point when our record reads:

Played: 6
Lost: 5
Drawn: 1

We remain the only club in the NRL not to have won a golden point game.

Latest posts